CPS2 picture issue

SN K'

Armored Scrum Object
I just purchased Puzzle Fighter for cps2 to put in my astro city. So it got here yesterday and I plugged it in and the picture is extra dark. I know it's not the cab because it's bright and clear no problems with my Awave. I can take some pics but it's pretty simple, just really dark picture. I cleaned all the connections on both boards and I don't really know what else to try. This is my first cps2 experience so hopefully this is just some noob thing I'm overlooking. Any help much appreicated!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Tried adjusting the brightness and contrast on the Astro City monitor?
When you move from one type of hardware to another, adjusting the monitor is usually normal.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
He's right. My CPS3 looked good on one monitor, and when I changed to CPS2, it was yellow looking. Same thing for brightness on my System 22 to system 246 on the same monitor. This just happens...

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I guessing it came with the A-board attached, your cab is standard 15 khz resolution right. You stated the picture is dark but how do the actual graphic/spirites look are they ok. My first recommendation is to double check and make sure that all 384 pins on the A-board are still there and clean. If you done that already the only thing I can tell you is to borrow/buy a new A-board. All the main processing is done on the motherboard/A-board so you should start there. It wouldn't hurt to open the B-board/game board and make sure everything is still sokected in there also. I physically have a A-board right now that gives me a dark screen no matter which B-board I put on it.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Oh shit, I just NOW read everything you posted. There was an Atomiswave in it before? Pfft, that's your answer. Those damn things are bright as hell, as a default. The mystery's been solved!

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I suppose you could tinker with the atomiswave system and add some small resistors in the video circuitry to lower the levels some and reduce the brightness... Maybe get the games close to where you don't have to keep tweaking the monitor when you switch back & forth.

SN K'

Armored Scrum Object
I figured that I would just have to adjust the monitor, I'm so lazy I just didn't want to since I just got it set for AW :rolleyes: So if I were to mod the AW to be less bright (or would it be easier or even possible to mod the cps2 to be brighter) would I even be able to get them close enough that I wouldn't have to adjust every time I switch? Thanks for the replies btw

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
SN K' said:
I figured that I would just have to adjust the monitor, I'm so lazy I just didn't want to since I just got it set for AW :rolleyes:

So not only was this thread pointless but our posts aswell?
Idiot.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
lachlan said:
So not only was this thread pointless but our posts aswell?
Idiot.

Nah... The only stupid questions are the ones unasked. Now I suppose one could argue the point of asking google, or trying things out, but hey, we were all N00bs at one point in time.

I suppose you could mod the other game to make it a little brighter, but that would totally depend on the video output circuitry. You may even be able to make a small circuit to fit on a circuit board you could put on a piggyback JAMMA adapter to boost the video output.

I wonder if that would be a product that would be of interest to JMKurtz to design & manufacture. I guess he'd have to decide how many people would want to buy them and see if it'd be worth it.

RJ