New SSV US port news. Must see.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Ok. My copy of SSV for Xbox came today, from Gamestop (Maryland). I haven't gotten chance to play it yet, but I looked at the manual. Yep, it's for SSV but this one is a doozy. This is not SSV. This is really Super SSV or SSV+.

Why?

Well, because it has everybody. And I mean everybody. Playable characters from SSV Special made the cut, as hidden characters that you unlock.

Mizuki, Zankuro, and Amakusa are unlockable characters, and Poppy is in the game, too. Yep, English story line is here.

It may not have SSVS's fatalities, but what a major surprise.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
phewwww.....you scrared me with the last post on the other thread..... that stuff I knew already.... I thought you were going to tell me that its slow or that the control was crap.... so gamestop got theirs eh?

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Well thats cool.
Let us know if their are any new backgrounds, and if their are any loading times.
And I thought poppy was in 5 but they took him out in 5S?

voodoodoctorx

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Kirk Foiden said:
It may not have SSVS's fatalities, but what a major surprise.

after reading the other thread i had my hopes up :crying: does the game have an arranged soundtrack at least?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I have to wait until later to find out whether it uses an arranged soundtrack or not. I really wasn't sure if the bosses would be included, though. I was pretty sure Fatalities wouldn't be included because the *official* SNK/Playmore releases didn't have them.

Then again, the *official* SNK/Playmore Neo Geo releases didn't have Amakusa, Zankuro, and Mizuki playable in SSV nor the translated story mode. So I guess it wouldn't have been out of the question to wonder if they'd pull another surprise by adding fatalities in. Still, I never really saw the fatalities, myself, so I don't know what I'm missing, I guess.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Mr.Nemoperson said:
Well thats cool.
Let us know if their are any new backgrounds, and if their are any loading times.
And I thought poppy was in 5 but they took him out in 5S?

Yes. Poppy was not in SSV Special, only in SSV. Mizuki, Zankuro, and Amakusa were only in SSV Special. This version has them all.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Yeehaw!
The equivalent of Vampire Chronicle then. Like an SSV Chronicle.

voodoodoctorx

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Kirk Foiden said:
I have to wait until later to find out whether it uses an arranged soundtrack or not. I really wasn't sure if the bosses would be included, though. I was pretty sure Fatalities wouldn't be included because the *official* SNK/Playmore releases didn't have them.

playmore said V special would be a neo only release so when you said you had crazy news i figured they added things from special. :crying: allwell i have the origionals but its always nice to play with an arranged soundtrack.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Also, to answer the arranged Soundtrack question. The options screen has a selection to use either the Original Neo Geo BGM or the Arranged BGM.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:
Also, to answer the arranged Soundtrack question. The options screen has a selection to use either the Original Neo Geo BGM or the Arranged BGM.

So you finally got to sit down with it to play?
Any other particulars to fill us in on to tide us over?

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
guess I'm missing the meaning of "arranged" ....I thought having the original stages, with their complimenting music was "arranged" .... whats the difference in the two options they give you?

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
Didn't SNKP add like 8 or so new moves to each character? I thought I heard this from somewhere just can't remeber. Can you confirm this?

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Konig said:
guess I'm missing the meaning of "arranged" ....I thought having the original stages, with their complimenting music was "arranged" .... whats the difference in the two options they give you?

Arranged is still music to match their respective stages. Just that it's been remixed with a better set of instruments than what was on the Neo--in this case at least.

Of course, if you don't agree with the above the original music is there to appease you.

However, if music is done in high-quality with instruments et-cetera to begin with, it's still called an OST; ala Outrun 2.

Or you could PM ForeverSublime for even more in-depth answers.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
YO-YO-Boy said:
Hey, you stupid piece of shit! They didn't give us Special! Are you retarded?! :multi_co:

Do you think the difference between 5 and 5S was three boss characters? Do you wear a helmet on the bus ride to school? You really are a special kind of dumb.

Konig said:
phewwww.....you scrared me with the last post on the other thread..... that stuff I knew already.... I thought you were going to tell me that its slow or that the control was crap....
Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw the title, too. I thought, "Fuuuuuuuuck..." I guess I'll wait to hear gameplay impressions before I feel too relieved, though.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
KagerouSama said:
Arranged is still music to match their respective stages. Just that it's been remixed with a better set of instruments than what was on the Neo--in this case at least.

Of course, if you don't agree with the above the original music is there to appease you.

However, if music is done in high-quality with instruments et-cetera to begin with, it's still called an OST; ala Outrun 2.

Or you could PM ForeverSublime for even more in-depth answers.

do they remix it to the extent it would be called a re-mix?
or is it the same exact thing, just replicated on better equipment?

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Konig said:
do they remix it to the extent it would be called a re-mix?
or is it the same exact thing, just replicated on better equipment?

The same usually. Sometimes extended and extra riffs thrown in.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Ok. Some small gameplay impressions.

For one, the gameplay has definitely been tweaked. The characters that come back definitely are not exactly set like the way it was in SSV. In fact, some of the damage seems to have been altered as well.

Sankuro, being a regular playable character now, got a serious nerf. Seems balanced now, but with a little risk. For instance, his Gun shooting super (which pretty much was a fight winning move) has been given about a split second of extra lag, as well as the specials where he calls out the helpers. No longer does the helpers seem to come out nearly before he calls them. They now will impact after he calls them. Needless to say, this effectively makes him so much easier to fight against, when playing against the CPU. Still, the most effective old way works (stay close to him, get him in a corner, and throw him before committing a slash on him. (That is, using the old 2D (throw invincibility) moniker that when within a throw, no other moves (nor helpers) can hit the fighters until the throw is finished) Also, his Pizza recovery move takes longer for him to heal. It doesn't fill his health bar nearly completely so quick now. Still, if he knocks you away, and immediately does it, it still helps him. The thing is, you're given more opportunity to hit him and make his health gain practically worthless, even if you hit him once he ate it.

The manual has a missprint, for something I'm glad was a missprint. The manual makes it look like the same button to pause the game is the same button used when doing a suicide. That was mistaken. The Start Button pauses. The back Button is used for tossing the sword to the ground (tap 3 times) and for suicides (b,f,fd,d+Back).

Controlwise, it is rather spot on. The speed is intact, too. Moves come off without a hitch. Take note, suicides seem to not work in Practice Mode. Guess it needs rounds to actually make use of it and Practice Mode doesn't excercise rounds.

Loading. Takes about 1 1/2 to 2 seconds tops between fights. Yeah, it's there, but it's actually still short. The only thing one can complain about it is that it's there at all. (Loading screen). It's about 2 seconds in story mode since it actually loads the Story intro demo for the next scene, fighters backgrounds, and any story stuff done after the fight is over.

Interestingly enough, the Announcer voice (and the voice in the intro) is in English for the English version of the game, Japanese for the Japanese version of the game. The characters, of course, still use their same voice actors and actresses and speak Japanese. The voice announcer and intro voice is quite decent and appropriate sounding, though it may come a bit of a shock that it is in english. Purists may want to use the Japanese version just because they're used to always hearing the fights announced in Japanese.

Last edited:

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
thanks kirk!

with the jpn release of tenka pending, i was going to just get that and skip ssv all together. but if the impressions stay positive and it appears that playmore actually put some effort into this port, i'll definitely pick it up.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
sounds cool, glad to hear its not slow. How are the graphics overall? translation wise...

YO-YO-Boy

Benimaru's Hairdresser
the kid gets owned again!

SouthtownKid said:
Hey, you stupid piece of shit! They didn't give us Special! Are you retarded?! :multi_co:

How the fuck do you know? Do you have an xbox & a copy of SS5? no? then shut the fuck up! thx! :multi_co:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
YO-YO-Boy said:
How the fuck do you know? Do you have an xbox & a copy of SS5? no? then shut the fuck up! thx! :multi_co:

82751.gif

"Macho Man" Butta Supremo

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
Any online impressions?

I should hopefully pick this up tomorrow (no one around here had it today) and I'll be online for at least a few matches tomorrow (unlike with KoF02/03 which I bought and I don't think ever played :kekeke: )

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Wish I can tell you, but like I said in the online topic, I'm waiting for my new service to be ready. I'm still waiting on a shipment from my broadband company. When it arrives, I'm good to go. Not sure that I'll be able to arrange to check it out over a friend's connection until them.