Neo Geo Mvs Case Ideas?

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
SO MANY IDEAS ARE RUNNING THROUGH MY HEAD!​

I am just looking :eye: :eye: for "perhaps" new ideas on how to console my neo geo mvs..

Ive thought of so many things, but all sort of lead to a dead en, because it is either too hard to replace the mvs cartiges to play games, and or the jamma will have to be wired all arround on the inside, but im not that good with this stuff yet.

so if you have any ideas for a noob, they would be greatley appreciated!

i dont need to know anything about jamma, or anything else, just consoling ideas *thanks*

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
A little MDF can work magic for a case... it's heavy enough that it wont' slide around too easy... and you can groove it for T molding and other beautification tricks.

Cut slots in the top to match the cartridge slots and it'll look nice... you can even mount a metal panel on the side to hold cooling fans and all the connectors necessary.

RJ

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
i'd honestly get one of those small Neo 1 slots and build it into an old VCR case, vent's for cooling and you could even do something with the front screens that some VCR's have, maybe use the remote to turn the unit on?

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
channelmaniac said:
A little MDF can work magic for a case... it's heavy enough that it wont' slide around too easy... and you can groove it for T molding and other beautification tricks.

Cut slots in the top to match the cartridge slots and it'll look nice... you can even mount a metal panel on the side to hold cooling fans and all the connectors necessary.

RJ
That sounds pretty cool!!!, but im not sure what an "MDF" is???? But it sounds great, and easy, so im up for it!

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
lachlan said:
i'd honestly get one of those small Neo 1 slots and build it into an old VCR case, vent's for cooling and you could even do something with the front screens that some VCR's have, maybe use the remote to turn the unit on?
yeah, ive thopught of a vcr, but I allways get caught up on how i am supposed to get the cartiges in and out. "GREAT REMOTHE IDEA"! < im gunna check that part out!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I have always wanted to use the remote idea. I bet you could do it with something from X10 in parts.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
idosk8 said:
That sounds pretty cool!!!, but im not sure what an "MDF" is???? But it sounds great, and easy, so im up for it!

MDF = particle board... the same stuff that the heaviest arcade cabs are made from. It ain't light stuff!

And YAY!!! :multi_co: This is post #100!

RJ

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
channelmaniac said:
MDF = particle board... the same stuff that the heaviest arcade cabs are made from. It ain't light stuff!

And YAY!!! :multi_co: This is post #100!

RJ

MDF == Medium Density Fiberboard. It's like particle board, only it doesn't suck. Really tiny bits of wood, compressed with about three tons of glue.

(And yes, it is indeed heavy shit, but it makes life so much easier than regular particle board. Get two people to help you lift sheets of this stuff, and DO NOT try lifting more than one sheet at a time without a forklift unless you enjoy back hernias.)

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
hahaha! yeah, im sure i wont be needing that, but yeah... sounds like a plan to put in consideration...

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
nice idea again...

Lime2K said:
MDF == Medium Density Fiberboard. It's like particle board, only it doesn't suck. Really tiny bits of wood, compressed with about three tons of glue.

(And yes, it is indeed heavy shit, but it makes life so much easier than regular particle board. Get two people to help you lift sheets of this stuff, and DO NOT try lifting more than one sheet at a time without a forklift unless you enjoy back hernias.)

I like all the stuff about you saying boards... taht game me another idea, my father is a welder.. *dumb me* so mabey i can have him hook me up with a cool case... jsut i need to work on a design!

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
idosk8 said:
I like all the stuff about you saying boards... taht game me another idea, my father is a welder.. *dumb me* so mabey i can have him hook me up with a cool case... jsut i need to work on a design!

Just be prepared to spend LOTS of time with an angle grinder to get the case right... and if you want it to be perfectly smooth, you'll need some bondo and some paint. It's hard to get metal smooth and flat at the weld joints.

If you rivet or bolt it together, you can get it looking nicer at the corners. Use countersunk bolts or sheet metal screws to hide them.

Either case, I hope he as a big shearing machine rather than cutting things out with a plasma cutter. That will save you tons of time in making things look nice.

RJ

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
channelmaniac said:
Just be prepared to spend LOTS of time with an angle grinder to get the case right... and if you want it to be perfectly smooth, you'll need some bondo and some paint. It's hard to get metal smooth and flat at the weld joints.

If you rivet or bolt it together, you can get it looking nicer at the corners. Use countersunk bolts or sheet metal screws to hide them.

Either case, I hope he as a big shearing machine rather than cutting things out with a plasma cutter. That will save you tons of time in making things look nice.

RJ

lol, "his work" has 3 shearing machines if im not mistaken, and i was planing on having a layou, so all you do is bend up the sides... making it look professional...

and either way, i like an industrial look :kekeke:

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
idosk8 said:
...and either way, i like an industrial look :kekeke:

You could allways wrap it in leather and chrome spikes... (industrial...yeah...bad joke :crying: )

An MV-1 is a big mutha' to consolize inside something. Making it out of plastic sheeting like NGT's new 2 slot (here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135592) would be a fairly easy/clean way to go.

I like to go to thrift stores and flea markets and find odd vintage electronics gear to build thing in...

anything from a commodore 64 to an old VCR with the pop-up tape slot can be a good starting point for a custom case.

cheers,
-DT

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
dogtoy said:
You could allways wrap it in leather and chrome spikes... (industrial...yeah...bad joke :crying: )

An MV-1 is a big mutha' to consolize inside something. Making it out of plastic sheeting like NGT's new 2 slot (here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135592) would be a fairly easy/clean way to go.

I like to go to thrift stores and flea markets and find odd vintage electronics gear to build thing in...

anything from a commodore 64 to an old VCR with the pop-up tape slot can be a good starting point for a custom case.

cheers,
-DT

:lol:
haha! the industrial thing! but yeah, i saw that pic before... looks verry neat/clean, but i think if got a pretty good idea on what im going to do... ill scan a bunch of pic to show what its basically going to be in a couple hours!!!

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
The Pictures Of "sketch'ed idea...

This is what i pretty much have planned....

topview.jpg

front-back.jpg

yeah, nothing to special to it... but i thing it will turn out ok...

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
idosk8 said:
SO MANY IDEAS ARE RUNNING THROUGH MY HEAD!​

I am just looking :eye: :eye: for "perhaps" new ideas on how to console my neo geo mvs..

Ive thought of so many things, but all sort of lead to a dead en, because it is either too hard to replace the mvs cartiges to play games, and or the jamma will have to be wired all arround on the inside, but im not that good with this stuff yet.

so if you have any ideas for a noob, they would be greatley appreciated!

i dont need to know anything about jamma, or anything else, just consoling ideas *thanks*

why not gut a top loading betamax?

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
NipRing said:
just curious of your age?
betamax is an 80's thing

Yeah, I already suggested a top loading VCR (VHS, because betamax would be sony and therefore a 'VTR'). VHS is closer to the size of an MVS cart than a beta cassette. I'm not sure the cart would actually fit in either, perhaps if you removed the whole door for the tape and let the cart slot peep out the top like an air intake on a muscle car?

cheers,
-DT

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
BETA!

Aaron D said:
Haha, that would be awesome!

Oh.... damn... lol, i feel like a retard!

The whole "vhs or beta" thing? Beta"max" just jumped my mine....

the reason i dont... is because noone arroun where i am from owns a beta player....

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Does it fit tho?

NipRing said:
just curious of your age?
betamax is an 80's thing

as to what i recall, a mvs cart wouldnt fit in the toploarder slot.. would it?

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
idosk8 said:
as to what i recall, a mvs cart wouldnt fit in the toploarder slot.. would it?

It would probably be wide enough (VHS slot) but not quite long enough. If you can cut the sheet metal and make it look good, more power to ya. I have seen consolised systems where the vertical slot poked through a hole in the top of the case before. It's probably the easiest way to do an enclosed horizontal console.

cheers,
-DT

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
WHA!

dogtoy said:
It would probably be wide enough (VHS slot) but not quite long enough. If you can cut the sheet metal and make it look good, more power to ya. I have seen consolised systems where the vertical slot poked through a hole in the top of the case before. It's probably the easiest way to do an enclosed horizontal console.

cheers,
-DT

thats crazy!

yeah, ill think about it... but i think i got my main plan now...