Energizer steals sounds from Metal Slug?

shadowfamicom

Rugal's Thug
Anyway so i was watching The Price is Right on CBS when a commercial for Energizer batteries comes on. Its a bunch of people working out. Then halfway through the commercial one of the people working out falls on the ground and then you hear the dying sound from metal slug. The same sound that is triggered in metal slug when you shoot a soldier with a regular gun. I saw the commercial 3 more times and then went to play metal slug and the sound is exactly the same. Anyone else see this commercial?
So did Energizer steal the sound from the game? I doubt it but maybe it was in a cataloge of sounds the producer bought?

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I've seen examples of stuff like this before, and it ended up being that the creators of both took the same sound effect from whatever set of sounds they used. The energizer people didn't just record it from Metal Slug, they both took it from the same source, or the are public domain sound effects. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I hope you got the gist of what I was trying to say.

shadowfamicom

Rugal's Thug
Vectorman0 said:
I've seen examples of stuff like this before, and it ended up being that the creators of both took the same sound effect from whatever set of sounds they used. The energizer people didn't just record it from Metal Slug, they both took it from the same source, or the are public domain sound effects. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I hope you got the gist of what I was trying to say.

yeah i have seen stuff like that before also. and thats what i kinda ment when i said "it was probably in a cataloge of sounds the producer of the commercial bought". you said it much better than i did. there was also an epsisode of batman back in 1980's that had a sound effect for a police car that was the same as the police sound in Sim City 2000.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
One of the sounds in Doom and Doom 2, I think it's the BFG sound, is used in a lot of other stuff.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I've heard that "dying" scream in other things too.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I swear I was gonna post this, but I thought people would think I was crazy...

I heard it plain as day...

I was watching Law and Order one time and heard some other sounds....

SoloFenris

Sakura's Bank Manager
Tung Fu ru said:
One of the sounds in Doom and Doom 2, I think it's the BFG sound, is used in a lot of other stuff.

Yeah, that one is used a lot for a sudden outbreak of fire.

Jeff

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
They're all "stock" sounds or sounds from a purchased set. In production you can get things called "stock sounds" or footage which are publically usable, free sounds and footage you can use for anything. You'd recognize almost everyone of them when you saw them because they're used so often. (The wacky black and white "plane" fuckups are one.. they 20 winged plane that falls into itself... etc)

Also, you can purchase sound sets which are produced sounds and foley that you can use for whatever. USed a lot in commercials and games. I can't remember all of the ones over the years that "crossover" but there are TONS.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Haven't noticed/heard that one. I do remember noticing the sound near the last fight in KoF 99 used for the keypad has been used in some cell phone commercials though...

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
I remember on the old Carling advert they had the Glass Door opening sound from Goldeneye in it :chimp:

On some show last nite, this woman was playing Nintendo DS (Game unknown). Their stock audio for those SFX were of the Atari 2600 version of Pac Man. I was just flipping through the channels, not really watching the show. (TV is garbage anyway).

Anyway WTF? Every time a game is played on popular TV, the sound effects are derived from games from the late 70's.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
On some show last nite, this woman was playing Nintendo DS (Game unknown). Their stock audio for those SFX were of the Atari 2600 version of Pac Man. I was just flipping through the channels, not really watching the show. (TV is garbage anyway).

Anyway WTF? Every time a game is played on popular TV, the sound effects are derived from games from the late 70's.

To represent games on TV in 2049, theyll still be using pacman and Galaga sounds. Never gets old.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Electroman said:

Yep, apparently the favorite choice for game sound effects on TV shows/commercials is the Atari 2600 version of either Pac-Man or Donkey Kong, regardless of what game or system is being used in the show...
:oh_no:

as far as my absolute favorite example of borrowed sound effects, it's actually the reverse...

in the original Golden Axe arcade, it became apparent to me they borrowed sounds from 2 movies: FIRST BLOOD and CONAN the BARBARIAN

1) the death sound of some of the generic bad guys is taken from the scene in First Blood where Stallone stabs David Caruso in the leg in the woods

2) the sound of villagers being tortured comes from the scene in First Blood where the guy falls out of the helicopter

3) the death sound made by some of the big fat bald guys comes from a scene near the end of Conan where one the long-haired guy with the hammer gets impaled by a spiked trap

go ahead, check it...
:D

shadowfamicom

Rugal's Thug
VanillaThunder said:
They're all "stock" sounds or sounds from a purchased set. In production you can get things called "stock sounds" or footage which are publically usable, free sounds and footage you can use for anything. You'd recognize almost everyone of them when you saw them because they're used so often. (The wacky black and white "plane" fuckups are one.. they 20 winged plane that falls into itself... etc)

Also, you can purchase sound sets which are produced sounds and foley that you can use for whatever. USed a lot in commercials and games. I can't remember all of the ones over the years that "crossover" but there are TONS.

O, and the one where the monkey is washing the cat. i love that one.

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
lol. This reminds me of the generic "football scream". hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrah! They used it in the first NFL street commericals, and I think for a few of the Madden 06 commercials too.

aria

Former Moderator
This thread will not be complete without a (ahem) shout out to the Wilhelm Scream!

Last movie I heard it in was King Kong last weekend.

(has it actually ever been used in a video game? [EDIT: I guess in spiderman 2 DS]

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I KNEW IT!

So I wasn't imagining things... My girlfriend and I have been watching TV a couple times when this commercial has come on. Both times I've been like, "I swear that is a sound from Metal Slug..." And she would say that I was imagining things...

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
They also like to use generic beeps and boops to represent video game sound effects, and everything must by incredibly pixely 2-d, or 3-d in a world that's never heard of anti-aliasing...

I've noticed quite a few sound effects being borrowed from other things as well, but I can't think of much video game related at the moment... Off the top of my head, I can say that the generic "speed" sound, used to represent well... fast moving stuff, has been used in more cartoons, movies and TV shows than I can count. An example of this sound would be what you'd usually hear when you see Sonic in the cartoons from the 90's running from an (doesn't have to be) overheard shot.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I remember hearing the opening voice chant to KOF94 (go red, c'mon red get him, go red, KILL HIM! - or whatever the fuck they say) in a spanish station. I really wished I had seen that again but didn't think to invest time to wait on it to cycle on the channel again.

Does anyone know the origin of that opening?

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
No, but I've heard it somewhere else recently. I can't remember though.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The hydraulic door opening sound from Doom & Doom 2 have been used a lot. I've heard them numerous times on other sci-fi shows.