IGN Writes about Neo Wave..

geekabilly

Mickey's Coach
Link:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/677/677766p1.html

Videos:
http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/744/744213/vids_1.html

The King of Fighters: NeoWave
SNK's arcade brawler smashes into the Xbox with full Live support.
by Charles Onyett

December 20, 2005 - Early 2006 should prove to be a great time for 2D fighting fans on the Xbox. After all, within the month of January alone both King of Fighters '94 Re-Bout and Samurai Shodown V are currently slated to release. That could get even better in February, when this new King of Fighers title, called NeoWave, is set to come out.

So what exactly is NeoWave? Basically, it just means that this is the next evolution of the King of Fighters series, not any kind of compilation or retro re-release. Though it's been in arcades for a while now, when's the last time anyone actually went out to an arcade? Released on Sammy's Atomiswave arcade system, NeoWave promised more detailed background graphics than previous iterations, though the character graphics and animations are similar to what we've seen before. This isn't the flashiest 2D game out there, but it certainly still looks good.

Gamers will immediately be impressed when firing up NeoWave by the bright, clean visuals and the fluidity with which they animate. To see for yourself, take a look at the videos in the media section at the bottom of this article, then head over to the video section of another of SNK's games, Samurai Shodown V, and compare. You'll find NeoWave to be the visually preferable title.

The game offers three different modes of play, the Super Cancel, Guard Break and Max2 modes which basically affect how your super bar works and gives you slightly differing move sets and abilities. For instance, the Super Cancel mode lets you link a Special Move with a Super Attack for extra damage, whereas the Max2 mode lets you perform big damage attacks you wouldn't otherwise be able to do. In combination with your weak and strong punch and kick combos, Special Moves and Super Moves, you'll be able to enable a Heat Mode with the press of a button to add more power to your attacks.

From the main menu you can access Team Play, Single Play, Versus, Practice and Endless modes in addition to an options menu and an unlockable picture gallery. Team Play allows you to select three characters that you can use to play against a computer controlled team or a friend's just like in the original three-on-three system way back in the early days of King of Fighters. Before you start a game you'll also be able to customize the order in which the fighters appear in battle. The Single Play, of course, takes you through the game with only one character, while the Endless mode puts you up against a continuous string of opponents until your health is finally depleted.

In total you'll be able to choose from 36 fighters, both new and old. You'll find each one has their own unique Special Moves and flashy Supers, colorful character art, an evacuation rolling maneuver and a thrust attack. After you lose a match you'll be able to drop the difficulty level when you continue, drop your opponent's health level at the beginning of the match, recharge your special gauge or just take no action. In the options menu you'll find customizable controls, a wide range of graphics, audio, and match settings, as well as the ability to customize the color palettes of your favorite characters.

By far the best part of NeoWave is the fact that it fully supports play over Xbox Live. Logging in will give you access to search for matches, create your own, check out online competitions and view your own statistics. If you're drooling at the opportunity to play this game, it's most likely for this mode, which should extend the replay value far beyond what would be possible with only single and offline versus modes. The game responds and controls well on the Xbox, so before long you'll be pulling off Super Attacks and dodges with a degree of regularity.

With some colorful characters and backgrounds, NeoWave is looking pretty good so far, and is definitely a 2D brawler worth keeping your eyes on. We'll have more as it comes in. While you wait for the game's release, be sure to check out our updated screens and videos below.

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
What's up, Jordan? Haven't seen you in awhile! :buttrock:

I completely forgot that this game was coming out in the states, and I had no idea that they had plans to bring Rebout here either! Thanks for the heads up. Unless these are a crap port, i'll probably pick them all up.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's cool that they sound positive in the preview, but I kind of wish they had saved this kind of push for NBC and KOF XI. People who are already fans of KOF will already appreciate the Neowave gameplay, but casual fans or new people will not be impressed with Neowave's bland presentation and music. It will seem like just the same old thing re-packaged all over again to those people... it's definitely not going to feel like any kind of "evolution" to them. Shit, it doesn't even feel that way to me, and I'm pretty much an unconditional SNK/P fan. I think NBC and XI have a much greater chance of appealing to new people.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
My whole problem with these ports are the constant delays....they dont even give the games the ability to build any hype when they announce it and push it back a zillion times. I mean releasing all those games so close to each other may end up hurting instead of helping. Had NW already released a few months ago it could have been out there building a fanbase, putting out the SNKP name to the new, casual crowd, and then SSV should have come out in Dec like planned. Then next year we could have looked forward to NGBC and XI in some form, but whats gonna happen is that all of them are gonna come out together and are gonna get overlooked.

O.

Dark_Geese

Morden's Lackey
I loved NeoWave with the ARRANGED SOUNDTRACK...thats what I loved..

-New characters, more modes and Just Defense, cleaned up graphics, looser controls, Young Geese Howard, I mean man..I really dig this game but maybe I'm one of the few..bc there is never too much discussion going on about it...

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Dark_Geese said:
I loved NeoWave with the ARRANGED SOUNDTRACK...thats what I loved..

-New characters, more modes and Just Defense, cleaned up graphics, looser controls, Young Geese Howard, I mean man..I really dig this game but maybe I'm one of the few..bc there is never too much discussion going on about it...

Not much to really talk about IMO. The game is great, but it's just a KOF 2002 "upgrade" with some new features. It's also over a year old; I'd rather talk about KOF XI.

Here's hoping that Microsoft puts support for the upcoming SNK Xbox releases on the Xbox 360...

Dark_Geese

Morden's Lackey
Yes it is a great game it really is...and XI seems to be really great..but I wanna see what other secret combos etc. are hidden in the game..but yes it is a good upgrade to 2k2...IMO at least...making Rugal tournament eligible is great also...

Wheres the Krauser and the Boss team they promised us???
Could you imagine the "AOF2 Boss Team" in Neowave???

-Young/AOF2 Geese, Mr. Big, Krauser(Young Krauser??).

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
nice review, it's far to generous i think.
NEOwave is just boring...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You can see in that review of the mentality of new gamers, graphics, graphics and more graphics.
What kind of fighter fan would pick a visually superior fighter with crappy music,gameplay over a fighter that has inferior graphics but gameplay and music that makes you love the game?

IGN said:
Gamers will immediately be impressed when firing up NeoWave by the bright, clean visuals and the fluidity with which they animate. To see for yourself, take a look at the videos in the media section at the bottom of this article, then head over to the video section of another of SNK's games, Samurai Shodown V, and compare. You'll find NeoWave to be the visually preferable title.

So tell me, how do you compare graphics from KOF Neowave to SSV?

Crappy review in my opinion.

Frankfurt

Cheng's Errand Boy
lachlan said:
So tell me, how do you compare graphics from KOF Neowave to SSV?

The same way you can compare the graphics of NeoWave to SS3 or KOF98 or Garou or LB or SSTenka's.

The graphics in NeoWave are much better than SSV's. The end.

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
Well, even though they could have saved the "push" for the newer SNK releases, I guess it's safe to say that it's better than none at all. Not to mention, if they're putting effort into this release, that they'll more than likely continue to trend with the other titles as well.