Exposed: My Twin Arcade sticks for the first time!

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Its about time I show this baby off. I made it about 3 years ago but have been "tweaking" it ever since. Currently, its wired to hacked MadCatz Dreamcast controllers. I just got my Samurai Showdown move lists in the mail today so I was inspired to show the sticks off.

I have Neo-Geo colored buttons coming in the mail later this week from Happ. The top row is going to be swapped out, and the D button is being added in on the far right. Also 2 coin buttons are going somewhere. Everything is being wired to my supergun project which I'll share high quality pics of when its complete. I'll only post 3 pics in the thread because they're very large and I don't want to kill the 56k-ers out there ;) Feel free to follow the links to see everything however.

The one last thing that I am going to do to this bad boy is change out the Capcom VS SNK 2 overlay that is currently on it. The overlay is the only aspect that I do not like about the sticks. It was printed about 3 years ago on regular old inkjet paper and patched together. I have my best graphic designer working on creating new SNK themed artwork for it in Adobe Illustrator. Anyone have ideas on where to get a 30"x15" print done (in the US)? I was thinking possibly Kinkos if they have good paper stock. I was considering picking up a NOS Neo-Geo overlay, but they don't come that large :(

Parts I used:
2x Happ Joysticks (competition if i remember right)
14x Ultimate Push-Buttons (2x 1p and 2p)
T-Molding
2x MadCatz Dreamcast Controllers
1 sheet plexi glass
Scrap Wood

Total project cost- ~$75! w00t!!

I'm open to suggestions on this, so feel free to comment!

stick1.jpg

Dripping with quality

stick.jpg

Yah, you know you're jealous ;)

stick_inside.jpg

The guts as of right now

I installed a piano hinge to show off the insides with ease
Player 1 - Outside view
Player 2 - Outside view
P1 - Another angle
P2 - Another Angle
Player 1 wiring to Happ Hardware
Player 1 wiring to Mad Catz Controller
Player 2 wiring to Happ Hardware
Player 2 - wiring to dreamcast hardware
Authentic Soul Caliber 2 cab stickers for P1 and P2 Stolen right from the arcade machine ;)
Equipped with 2x 15th Aniversary street fighter stickers

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Very nice work - congrats on your new stick!

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Sweet deals...look at my Samurai Shodown 2 stickers being put to use...I mean your stickers. Wooot!!! Looking cool bro. :buttrock:

Nice stick!

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Okay I officialy hate you too short ;) Goddam how do you afford all of those lovely cabs? Did ya hit the lotto? heheheh

Kickass collection, now I'm jealous

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Man, nice stuff all around. Someday I'll get my cab collection started up, but until then it's nice to dream.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Cool sticks, and nice DC hack :) But are the buttons a little too far apart?

The first custom stick I made had the buttons too far apart, was hell for SFZ2!!

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
VERY nice :mr_t:

Wife & I are looking at moving to a bigger house to have room for me to put up a shop building and have a dedicated game room. You guys have some great looking games!

RJ

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
xtoo_short20x: Tell me about that wood grain 2-slot. I think I've seen pictures of it around here before and I'm really curious about it. Is it a conversion or what? I like the way the brown control panel matches the wood grain. How much of that did you build?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Murray said:
xtoo_short20x: Tell me about that wood grain 2-slot. I think I've seen pictures of it around here before and I'm really curious about it. Is it a conversion or what? I like the way the brown control panel matches the wood grain. How much of that did you build?

Not a conversion by a long shot. It's actually an original SNK released product.
Named "Gold 2-Slot". Probably one of the very first style SNK machines for
the MVS market, (Before the big REDS).

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Cool. I've been thinking of (making an attempt at) building a DC stick. I'm worried that I would shock myself or that it wouldn't work though... :kekeke:

Edit: Hahaha, well between my original post and this edit, I have been inspired to start my DC stick. I have already sacrificed one of my controllers. :kekeke: Wish me luck...

Last edited:

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
You might want to consider using the madcatz 3rd party controller. The controller blows, but the PCB is great for hacking. The solder points are nice and big and they are all labeled. I've heard of people having trouble with sega brand controllers. Feel free to PM if you need assistance.

B

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
heya Bill,

Are you going to Build a Supergun Right inside of the Controller Enclosure?

That would be tight as shit man.....

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I'm thinking about it. If I do not, I will just add 15 pin controller ports and plug it into the supergun I'm building. The only trickey pary is how I would do the jamma connector. I have 1 of 2 options. I can have the harness hanging out of the sticks (which would look bootleg). Or I can make a jamma extender, or at least I think could with a fingerboard and another harness. I bought all mountable parts for my supergun project like the female connector for the Jamco powersupply and the jrok rgb composite/svideo encoder.

Will that Jamma extender idea work?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
billd420 said:
You might want to consider using the madcatz 3rd party controller. The controller blows, but the PCB is great for hacking. The solder points are nice and big and they are all labeled. I've heard of people having trouble with sega brand controllers. Feel free to PM if you need assistance.

B

Hahaha, perhaps I should have asked first before I sacced one of my controllers... :tickled: Oh well. I just might take you up on that offer... for real. ;) I would really appreciate advice from someone who has done it already. One of my buddies made a PS joystick and I got him onboard so far... Do you think you could give me some measurements of yours?

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I can provide measurements later tonight, as I'm about to leave for work right now. What exactly are you looking for measurement wise?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
thegreathopper said:
What is that little pink button above the 100 yen sticker on your Impress?

Might be the MVS select button when he's using a multislot MVS in that cab?
Or...a pause button?

Oh and by the way....awesome arcade sticks!
I love the inlay.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
Really nice. Though I'm not that fond of soldering directly to the microswitches as those eventually needs to be replaced. Also quick connectors between the pcb and the controllers would have been a neat idea if you wanted to convert controllers to other consoles as well. I really do like the box and layout though, I'm really bad at that stuff.