mvs and batteries

nagrom

New Challenger
Hi !

My life was simple before coming to this forum ! :-)
I was happy with my recently aquired 1slot and 4slot mvs, i had
never heard about batteries destroying the pcb ! Now i live in
fear and have nightmare about this !
Now, i know that i have to change the batteries, and but them
away from the pcb. But i still am not sure about the way to that.
First, are batteries really needed ? What if i totally remove them ?
If not, is it simple to replace the battery by a connector, going to
a battery far away from the pcb ?
If anyone have tips or photos of this kind of mod, i'm interested !
Thank you

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The board will work OK without the battery fitted.
However there will be no back up for the calender and soft dips.

So for instance if you select red blood for a game, the next time you play after switching off, it will have reverted back to grey blood.

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
I soldered two wires to where the battery goes in my 4 slot, and ran them to a molex connector, and then to a battery - so if my battery goes (a) it's away from the board and (b) it'll take me longer to drive to the battery store than to replace the battery, as I can just disconnect it!

Berty

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
nagrom, removing the battery is dead easy, just take your time and be gentle with it, you dont want to be ripping out any traces.

I just did mine before after seeing the post that ttooddddyy made. On your four sot, undo all the screws on the top part. Remove the metal cover, then remove the top board.

Get some cutters and cut the + wire thatgoes to the top of the battery.

My battery was hot glued in and just cut it free from the hot glue with a scalple. Just be careful not to cut into the board or any near by traces.

Lastly, i just had to gently wiggle the battery out to break the solder joint below that was holding the battery down.

Then i just soldered some wires to the + and - and then ran them to the top of the board where my battery is now mounted. Its very easy to do.