6-slot sound issues

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Why does my 6-slot have to be on for a while to hear the sound? Normally it takes an hour and still even isn't all that loud. I took a look at the pcb and diddn't see anything burnt or broken. Is this a simple component fix? Also, the left side is louder than the right side.

snkdan

n00b
I had the same problem with my six slot pcb. I changed all the capacitors in the sound circuit and it came up good as new.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
You probably won't find 'em at your local Radio Shack store anymore... www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com are great sources. I tend to use Mouser since they have a warehouse on the other side of Ft. Worth and I get my parts in 1 to 2 days with cheap USPS shipping ;)

For local places, check the Yellow Pages or ask a few local amateur radio operators. They know where the parts stores are.

RJ

snkdan

n00b
The caps around the HA13001 are for the sound (i believe), changing the 470uf and 220uf caps fixed my problems. I still changed all the caps on both boards, as the electronics tech at work said capacitors fail with age and the six slot pcbs are around 15 years old now. They are a good place to start.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Change the ones that are cylindrical in shape... Be careful! They are polarized and may POP if you put them in backwards. There's a line down one side that usually marks the negative lead.

RJ

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
typical schematic here

HA13001.gif