Does anyone use a Mini RGB to NTSC Video Encoder / TV Converter (Do they work?)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

Just wondering if anyone uses one of these. If so do they work well?

I am not looking for comments "why don't you just get a supergun". All I want to know if they work, and how much they cost.

They work for many applications...

Whart are you trying to do?

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
norton9478 said:
They work for many applications...

Whart are you trying to do?

What it says it does. Hook up a Jamma cable to it. It would be used for MVS.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
They work fine and costs around $86 with shipping if I remember correctly. :)

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
What it says it does. Hook up a Jamma cable to it. It would be used for MVS.

In this case, if you're using MVS and composite video I'd reccomend the R2N encoder.

zapatistab

Magnaflux said:
In this case, if you're using MVS and composite video I'd reccomend the R2N encoder.

Excuse my arcade noobness, but I don't know the difference. Is the encoder in the link and R2N encoder? Whats the difference?

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Excuse my arcade noobness, but I don't know the difference. Is the encoder in the link and R2N encoder? Whats the difference?

The encoder is what you're looking to purchase. It encodes the RGB signal given from the motherboard into a signal your television can use.

The R2N is a similar encoder in competition with the Jrok as you've provided a link to.

The R2N is made by another company.

At our last convention, I noticed the R2N outputs a much better composite (the yellow plug in the RCA jacks) than the jrok.

zapatistab

Magnaflux said:
The encoder is what you're looking to purchase. It encodes the RGB signal given from the motherboard into a signal your television can use.

The R2N is a similar encoder in competition with the Jrok as you've provided a link to.

The R2N is made by another company.

At our last convention, I noticed the R2N outputs a much better composite (the yellow plug in the RCA jacks) than the jrok.

Thanks for the explanation. If I use S-Video would the jrok version be OK? Also where can I purchase the R2N version? Do you have a llink?

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I use a JROK with S-Video on my MVS (built into my supergun) and it looks beautiful. It saved a bit of soldering time because I didn't have to build my own connectors (R2N doesn't have the onboard S-Video and composite connectors). Also, James (the guy selling the JROK encoders) was a LOT of help troubleshooting some problems I had with my setup (that all turned out to be completely unrelated to the encoder).

zapatistab

Murray said:
I use a JROK with S-Video on my MVS (built into my supergun) and it looks beautiful. It saved a bit of soldering time because I didn't have to build my own connectors (R2N doesn't have the onboard S-Video and composite connectors). Also, James (the guy selling the JROK encoders) was a LOT of help troubleshooting some problems I had with my setup (that all turned out to be completely unrelated to the encoder).

Thanks Murray.

I'm leaving early from work today. I just wanted to say thanks for everyones help. I will log-in tonight to see if anyone has made anymore comments. I am just looking for a cheaper, possibly temporary alternative, since arcade monitors are costly.

Last edited:

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
D-lite said there's going to be a cheap R2N that outputs component coming in a few weeks.... Something like $60! Only problem is it will ONLY ouput through component.

I'll buy one, that's for sure!

zapatistab

I didn't realize there were so many options. :make_fac:

As soon as I hear from my wife's brother in law, about a monitor that he may have, I guess I may have to buy one of these.