Straight up JAMMA cabs

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
When I was in the market for a Neo Geo, I thought, "All those cool Neo games, plus all those JAMMA games." I thought wrong. SNK, as we know, did a pretty good job of making their Neo cabs non-JAMMA while still being JAMMA...

So, my question is, what cabs are there that are straight JAMMA? Or, is there even such a thing?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Aaron D said:
When I was in the market for a Neo Geo, I thought, "All those cool Neo games, plus all those JAMMA games." I thought wrong. SNK, as we know, did a pretty good job of making their Neo cabs non-JAMMA while still being JAMMA...

So, my question is, what cabs are there that are straight JAMMA? Or, is there even such a thing?

you can get a neo cab and put in a couple switches to take it from mvs to Jamma.

or get a street fighter cab.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Just look for a list of games that use JAMMA, then search for those games' cabinets. :D

As for "off-the-shelf-and-ready-to-use" cabs, well... I don't know.

Ajax

15 Year Member
What about Astro/Aero City cabs? For some reason, I was thinking those were straight JAMMA...

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Just about all your older cabs are straight jamma. The only diffrence from jamma to mvs is stereo sound and game select buttons. If you plug an mvs board into a jamma harness it will work but your sound will be all jibbered up and you wont have a game select button, I really wouldnt recommend playing it that way. Also there are single slot boards that are plug and play for jamma, i believe they have little switches on the board to go from stereo to mono.

The only real way to find out if a cab is jamma or not is to look at the harness and follow the wires (assuming it doesnt already have a game in it you would know by the game title)

Anyway go to hardmvs.com if its still around and download the jamma harness schematic and the mvs schematic. I think there is a guide in there for wiring a switch to go from mono to stereo also.

Hope that answers everything

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Aaron D said:
What about Astro/Aero City cabs? For some reason, I was thinking those were straight JAMMA...

Lachlan has an astro city.
Might be worth a PM.

You may have to add more buttons to an older pure JAMMA cab as they only use 3 as standard.

As NGT says, a Streetfighter cab would be nice and easy.
You'd just have to piss about with the kicker, but you'd have 6 buttons.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure my Astro City cab is straight JAMMA but of course it has the 4th button wired up for Neo.
The sound is Mono (Which makes me beleive it must be straight JAMMA) but don't ask me how it works as it's beyond me.

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
Astros and Aeros are straight jamma, as well as most other non-snk candy cabs. the neocandy, super neocandy, and super neocandy 2 are also said to be straight jamma.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Hmm, thanks for the info everybody. I have one of the older Neo candy cabs with a 25" monitor. I don't know the name for it... I see it called all sorts of different names. Hahaha. When I bought it, the guy was telling me about cutting these two sound wires and adding some connector things to them. I don't really think he knew what he was talking about, but the basic idea was to convert the sound from stereo to mono without making any modifications to the board. Anybody ever heard of this?

Lachlan: Did you wire the 4th button on your Astro? Seems like every one of those I've ever seen has 6 buttons...

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Why the blazes would you want to convert it to mono?
At least make it switchable, mate.

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
Aaron D said:
Hmm, thanks for the info everybody. I have one of the older Neo candy cabs with a 25" monitor. I don't know the name for it... I see it called all sorts of different names. Hahaha. When I bought it, the guy was telling me about cutting these two sound wires and adding some connector things to them. I don't really think he knew what he was talking about, but the basic idea was to convert the sound from stereo to mono without making any modifications to the board. Anybody ever heard of this?

Lachlan: Did you wire the 4th button on your Astro? Seems like every one of those I've ever seen has 6 buttons...
to only get mono, you could just connect the two wires together, and BAM! you have mono. it would be better to have a switch though in case you ever got something that used stereo (mvs, and some jammas).

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
there's a very nice switch diagram for mono stereo around here somewhere....by mlk or mkl or something like that.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Gummy Bear said:
Why the blazes would you want to convert it to mono?
At least make it switchable, mate.

I think to play JAMMA boards... I don't know. I'm just passing on what he told me. Basically, what he conveyed to me was, make this wire modification and you have a cab that can play JAMMA boards. I gather that he is wrong with this theory then?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
make a mono/stereo switch and wiring up an extra button inside the cab door or where ever for the other setup's service button. It needs a 4PDT ON/ON toggle or rocker switch and a small momentary push button from radio shack. I don't think they have the switch though, but digikey should have it. It could cost $10 or so with shipping or whatever but well worth it to have the ability to swap from jamma to neo/stereo. I have one in one of my cabs but I don't use it because the cab has been dedicated to a 4 slot and a naomi which are both stereo. But for swapping in and out boards, this switch is perfect.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
MVS cabs are jamma, otherwise my other Jamma boards wouldn't work on them.
Pretty much all cabs out there are Jamma, unless they're dedicated (gun,
driving, etc..) Sure there are minimal changes like noted above, stereo, button
configuration etc. Astros are Jamma as well.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Remember though, those little things like stereo sound can mess up some jamma games. Daraku Tenshi's sound amp can overheat through an improper sound setup.....just to name one example.

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
xtoo_short20x said:
MVS cabs are jamma, otherwise my other Jamma boards wouldn't work on them.
Pretty much all cabs out there are Jamma, unless they're dedicated (gun,
driving, etc..) Sure there are minimal changes like noted above, stereo, button
configuration etc. Astros are Jamma as well.
most mvs cabs are certainly NOT jamma... They are close, but if you put a jamma bourd in a u4 cab, you won't get any sound unless you make a switch to convert the audio to jamma pinout (which is making non-jamma, jamma).

Aaron D> if you want to avoid all this mumbo jumbo, I might suggest you buy a one slot mvs board (as they have a mono/stereo switch on them to make them genuine jamma) and then you could just swap it like any other jamma board without needing an audio switch.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
stuffmonger said:
most mvs cabs are certainly NOT jamma... They are close, but if you put a jamma bourd in a u4 cab, you won't get any sound unless you make a switch to convert the audio to jamma pinout (which is making non-jamma, jamma).

Aaron D> if you want to avoid all this mumbo jumbo, I might suggest you buy a one slot mvs board (as they have a mono/stereo switch on them to make them genuine jamma) and then you could just swap it like any other jamma board without needing an audio switch.

I hear you on the jamma/non-jamma thing, but I STRONGLY SUGGEST getting an mvs setup cab and making the mono/stereo switch. Credit to MKL or MLK,lol

3086.jpg

MVSJamma.jpg