strange sound issue

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
This puzzles me. I've a four slot board that seems to work totaly fine. However after it has been running for about an hour or so the sound goes off.

Thats pretty much it. Even if I have the demo sound off or on either after about an hour there is just no sound. Turn it off and back on and then every thing works perfect.

Anyone ever have that problem? Or know what it is?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
and for any help or comments.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The problem could also be related to the order the games are in the SLOTs. Its known that certin games in a certin order can cause sound to stop working when swapping games (attract mode will do this if its just left cycling through game demos).

The only way you'll be able to confirm this though is by watching at what point the sound dies. If its midway through a games attract mode then it could be what ttooddddyy mentions. If it dies when the game changes then its most likley what I mention.

Raz

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
woooh

Well that attract mode one .. first time I've been told such a thing. I think the volts are good because I've swapped out the power supply.

The games I'vee had running in it are in the following order

wind jammers
samauri shodown 4
fatal fury 2
sengoku

I'll keep an eye on it and see when the sound cuts out.
So the question is can I not run some of these in the system to keep the sound going or is it just the order they are in?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Youll need to know what 2 games cause the sound to cut out. Then simply put the carts in a different order and see if it fixes the problem.

Raz

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I agree with both responces above..
....as this is a problem I used to have all the time with my 4 Slot Candy cab...

It usually was due to a certain game cart line-up..that after several demo lookps the sound would just cut out.
I would have no choise but to change the cart line-up until this would not happen again..Some game just don'y like working with others.
....also I have found that it was result of dirty cart connectors..or dirty mobo connections...or warped cart boards due to the case being to tight.
Though 99% of the time it was the cart line-up....
http://www.hardmvs.com/html/projects.htm

I took a 12 Voltage reading of the PSU once when this happened and the dial on the meter was jumping from 0 to 12V ...A steady jump from 0 to 12 or so every second...(fluctuating 12V)
After I changed the cart line-up I left the cab on for hours,the sound never went out and the 12V didn't fluctuate anymore.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
That fixed it

Wow I really want to thank you all for all the help you gave me on this issue.

The sound would cut out after a while when switching from fatal fury 2 over to sengoku.
I've changed around several carts and have not been able to reproduce the problem so I'll just not run those two at the same time.

again thanks for the advice, it saved me a lot of trouble.