SNK arcade classic at Target.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Comes out December 9th:

Arcade Game Room Classics - SNK VERSION

From Target's Website:
• Tabletop arcade includes your favorite classic games: Metal Slug, Top Player Golf, Samurais Showdown, King of Fighters, and League Bowling
• Fast microprocessor means you get the full arcade quality game version; 14" color screen
• Games are played with high quality joystick and buttons; commercial quality cabinet
• Suggested minimum age: 7 years
• 28Hx18Wx22L"; weighs 60 pounds

Only 5 games and a tiny 14" monitor. I wonder if it will be expandable like the Midway arcade cabinet that they are selling at the Target by my house (it has a cartride slot,) for more games?

Sorry if this has already been posted.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's a cute little thing, but obviously for $500, you could go ahead, get the real thing and choose your own games.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Cool idea, poor execution.

KoF '95 should be KoF '96, Samurai Shodown should be Samurai Shodown II, Metal Slug 2 should be Metal Slug X, and Top Players Gold should be Neo Turfmasters.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
They should have designed two breakaway joysticks in the front panel as well.
It weighs 60 LBS?? This unit has nothing on a supergun that could be designed by "real" Fans.
-BB

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
No thanks my cmvs 2 slot gets the job done.

Beside why pay $479.99 for dumped roms :p

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
It's too bad that this system won't do too well.
Why would anyone pay $500 for a system that weighs 60 lbs (heavier than the kids they're trying to targe the system to) and will play less titles than a typical home system? If anything, they should of made the games be interchangable. Then MAYBE you'd get a few hardcore people buying it. This looks like it should be sitting in a bar somewhere, and not in someone's bedroom.

Tsubaki

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This post got me excited at first because I thought this had something to do with the SNK plug and play game that was supposed to include Ikari Warriors. I read about it awhile ago, haven't heard anything about it since. :annoyed:

That's what SNKP should be pursuing not this phoney baloney hunk of expense. Those plug and play things have grown like a fungus and must sell like hotcakes.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
VinylBoy said:
It's too bad that this system won't do too well.
Why would anyone pay $500 for a system that weighs 60 lbs (heavier than the kids they're trying to targe the system to) and will play less titles than a typical home system? If anything, they should of made the games be interchangable. Then MAYBE you'd get a few hardcore people buying it. This looks like it should be sitting in a bar somewhere, and not in someone's bedroom.
Heavy is the one part of it I DO like... Won't move around while you're playing, even if you have a friend who is a spaz. Less chance someone is going to bump it off wherever you have it. $500 is crazy though. Almost anyone hardcore enough to want those games is going to know there's a better way to have them.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
If games were interchangeable....MAYBE it would be a cool centerpiece to my game room but as is I dont think so.

O.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
galfordo said:
Cool idea, poor execution.

This about sums it up for me. I checked SNK's Website for a press release to no avail. The thing I'm most worried about is did they throw in some crappy 14" TV set instead of an actual arcade monitor so that it has poor picture quality.

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
vomit-smiley-007.gif

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I think its a great idea....but seriously. The price point is beyond retarded.

Make these expandable with different games...charge $150 for them. I'd definitely get one...even though I have 3 cabs and all the MVS carts. It would just be cool.

But, its stupid and will fail.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
snk-capcom.com had a posting about these units awhile ago and they posted that the one they saw was running WinXP but was to go under a redesign to use Linux to shave costs. It's supposed to be using the MAME emulator, which I wonder if the MAME people are aware of.

I have to wonder a couple things though....

Does it use some sort of solid-state ROM to hold the games -- like boot from a USB memory card that has the Linux OS, MAME, and the ROM files? Or is it CD-ROM or HD based. How "hackable" would it be?

The only thing that really makes this a unique piece is that it's going to be sold through commercial stores. The artwork is ok, but the choice of games stinks, especially if it doesn't have an upgrade route (game packs).

I think if I wanted something like this, I would either build it myself, or build one like the one from www.lunacade.com, but have ALL the Neo games enabled. In fact, that sounds like a good project to work on over the winter ;)

Jeff

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
I saw one of these cabinets at Target a few days ago, except the one I saw was running some lame old Midway arcade games. The 14" screen is a total joke, resolution was terrible, picture quality terrible, and the whole thing was a total waste. Utter trash . . . :oh_no:

Here's a link:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...867490-1657747?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000AQHKR0
Yup, I saw one of those as well. That's what got me looking on Target's website. I agree completely, the resolution and overall picture quality sucked. What peaked my interest was that the Midway one had some sort of cart slot (which I couldn't get loose :kekeke: ). I would be interested in picking one of the SNK ones up if it was expandable like the Midway version.

JMKurtz said:
I think if I wanted something like this, I would either build it myself, or build one like the one from www.lunacade.com, but have ALL the Neo games enabled. In fact, that sounds like a good project to work on over the winter.

Pics please :)

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
[QUOTE/]

From Target's Website:

Only 5 games and a tiny 14" monitor. I wonder if it will be expandable like the Midway arcade cabinet that they are selling at the Target by my house (it has a cartride slot,) for more games?

Sorry if this has already been posted.[/QUOTE]

I saw that standup Midway cabinet at the Target near me too. That thing had the worst button layout and screen I have ever seen. The tabletop unit does seem to have better buttons though.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I just saw the Midway cabinet and it really is a piece of crap. I think the idea is great, but the build quality is horrendous. It's essentially made out of heavy gauge cardboard (3/8" thick) with a crappy little TV inside. Even if you want to get a lower priced arcade for the basement, I recommend to save your money for an Ultracade or look in your local paper. All they did was take some of those cheap TV games set ups and put it in a cardboard box. hardly worth what they are asking for.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
if it's RGB and can be hackable to add more roms, it would be fucking sweet.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
DashK said:
if it's RGB and can be hackable to add more roms, it would be fucking sweet.

I don't think its RGB. When I hit the reset, it momentarily said AV1. Its most likely a regular TV.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
But seriously, for $499 I could get a candy cab from matsu. There's no way I would choose that midway thing over a candy....

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The shell is really cool. A lightweight plastic.

The rest (Controlls, Monitor and sound) are junk.

It's basicly a TV Games system (you know, 24 games in a controller that hooks up to the TV) with an extra controller and a really shitty TV(Think StoreCam Monitor).