PCB Spacers

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I have noticed that when I change carts on my board, it flexes quite a bit. Both when pulling a cart out and putting one in. Is this normal?

Also, I just installed my Unibios and noticed that there are screw holes for those little metal spacers all around the slots and mine only has 3 out of a possible 16. (There are 2 on either side of every cart slot) Is this normal? Hopefully I'm making sense... :P

Ajax

15 Year Member
Bump.

Come on, somebody has to know the deal with these...

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I assume it's a 4-slot right?

Each cart slot has 4 screw holes but you can only have 2 spacers for each slot: if you look at the bottom board there are only 2 holes under the slots, so a 4-slot can have up to 13 spacers, 8 for the slots and 5 in the corners and along the edges (that you probably have). Of course you can run into problems if you don't have all the spacers. Replacements may not be easy to find because these spacers are 16,5mm long while usually the hex spacers you can buy are 15 or 20mm and I wouldn't use 15 as they would flex the board too much (I've checked this myself).

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
LOL you pointed him to his own thread... and in fact he has a 4-slot. Anyway feet are one thing, spacers are another.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Wow, spacers != feet. I am completely a dick for that. Sorry.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Hahaha, it's cool.

I got some feet. This is an entirely different problem. Any info on who might have some of these?

Ajax

15 Year Member
Are they even called spacers? Lol. It might help if I knew the real name for them.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Yes they're called spacers. Those used on MVS boards are Male/Female hex spacers. I know of a place that carries the more unusual 16mm or 17mm spacers (I would go with 17mm) but you need a VAT number to order from them. Mouser has 0.625" which corresponds to 15.87mm, not sure it'll work. And the thread must be 3M, I don't know the equivalent in inches. You could get longer ones and trim them down to the right length.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Jameco or DigiKey sells tons of these in all sorts of sizes.

EDIT: You will have a much better time finding them as "stand offs" or standoffs. Spacers aren't always threaded.

Last edited:

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Spacers can be awkward.

When I was consolizing my 6F, I had to use two different lengths of straight-through spacer, stacked, with a long screw going through both.

Dscn0479.jpg

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I found that M3 16mm hex spacers are perfect for 4-slots. I have strengthened my board perfectly using 7 spacers (5 around the edge and 2 under slot 2 or 3) You don't need to put them under every slot and it would be a pain when fitting a Unibios chip to have to undo all of them.

Last edited:

Ajax

15 Year Member
Ehh, already got unibios in.

So, is there anywhere on the 'net where I can get these? Links, anybody?

Thanks for your help thus far too.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
For £10 I can get you a bag of 20x 16mm M3 nickel plated brass spacers. The £10 will include shipping to the USA from London.
Infact I can get pretty much any size of nickel plated brass hex spacers ranging from 5mm to 40mm, so if anyone else needs them I can do a group order, which could bring the price down by almost half depending on how many are purchased.

Last edited: