n00b-ish XBox hacking question

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Has anyone made a complete guide to making an XBox work on a JAMMA cabinet (provided there are enough buttons) that doesn't require anything more than what an XBox comes with + a second controller, and possibly a CD drive? I've got a way to get XBs with b0rked DVD-ROM drives for $25, and thought that if I could softmod it or something it would make a cool MAME Box.
(Please, no flames about emulating Neo-Geo. I spent hours ripping my own ROMs for it.)

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
...that doesn't require anything more than what an XBox comes with + a second controller, and possibly a CD drive?...
I'm not buying anything. I've got a source for cheap XBoxes (1.0 and 1.1) with broken drives, a bunch of working drives, a soldering iron, and an arcade cab. It really shouldn't be that hard, but following a guide always makes for better results.

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
SpamYouToDeath said:
Has anyone made a complete guide to making an XBox work on a JAMMA cabinet (provided there are enough buttons) that doesn't require anything more than what an XBox comes with + a second controller, and possibly a CD drive? I've got a way to get XBs with b0rked DVD-ROM drives for $25, and thought that if I could softmod it or something it would make a cool MAME Box.
(Please, no flames about emulating Neo-Geo. I spent hours ripping my own ROMs for it.)

In short, no, the conecpt of makeing an xbox play on an Jamma Cab with out anything but what an xbox comes with is hair-brain to begin with if you understand anything about video signals and controller compression theory.

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamYouToDeath

In short, no, the conecpt of makeing an xbox play on an Jamma Cab with out anything but what an xbox comes with is hair-brain to begin with if you understand anything about video signals and controller compression theory.

Yeah,

I agree with ravenmgs, I think you would be better off buying a adapter then muddling your way through trying to making one yourself. Like I said, the one I bought from Ultimarc works great!!!

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
SeaWolf69 said:
Yeah,

I agree with ravenmgs, I think you would be better off buying a adapter then muddling your way through trying to making one yourself. Like I said, the one I bought from Ultimarc works great!!!

Makeing one is feasable, but the concept of makeing one with out haveing to buy anything other then an xbox is simply impossible unless you happen to live on aluminum / steel / copper / silicon mines, know how to refine the materials, and have a degree in physics.