NTSC ENCODER

EddyIori

New Challenger
Well, I am consolizing my 2 slot mvs board and now it comes to the part where I need to put a ntsc encoder to make it work on a tv. I have seen some schematics on how to do it over the internet. But I would be much more confident hearing opinions from people that had made it. I have in hand some cxa 1645p,cxa 1145p. (tested and working) . Since I fix videogames for some people often they appear with dead or damaged systems and sell them to me very cheap. This include Neo Geo Rom and CD, Masters Systems, Dreamcast, Mega Drive, Nes... I have lots of them. Some work some not. I have even socketed all chips on my mega drive , neo geo and master system so in can test most of the ICs.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
The best thing for this type of job would be a Jrok RGB to NTSC converter.
http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

It's a nice little device that is self contained and very easy to set up.

I've never used one myself. I live in the UK and all MVS consolizations that I have performed output native RGB through SCART.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Personally, I think the Neobitz encoder is better as it supports Component Video, SVideo, and Composite, and it's made for the Neo community (but used by others too). But hey, that's just my opinion ;)

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
If you go to my site by clicking the icon in my sig (or just go to http://www.multimods.com) you will find a comparison of the 3 encoders already mentioned in this thread. It's in the "Building a Supergun" section, which I still have to finish :emb: Also in there is a long list of games the NeoBitz is known to be compatible with (over 100 so far).

But to answer the direct question, it is quite possible to build your own from the parts you have. It will take many components but is fully doable. I make my own from scratch when I do my Turbo Duo S-Video upgrades, but I always use the commercial ones for supergun building and consolization.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
JMKurtz said:
Personally, I think the Neobitz encoder is better as it supports Component Video, SVideo, and Composite, and it's made for the Neo community (but used by others too). But hey, that's just my opinion ;)

Yeah but what do you know about it, Jeff? ;)

*Ahem* Neobitz encoder it is, then. :)

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
gamejunkie said:
Personally I think the R2N is a much better encoder. Back during the summer we had both the JROK and The R2N side by side playing Neo games, and the R2N looked much better.

http://crazearcade.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=156

If you're running composite video, get the R2N as it looks quite good.

I own the Jrok which has shite composite and good S-vid.

I can't comment on the neobitz.

We did have both running side by side, the jrok and R2N and the R2N looked fantastic imo. However this is considering both were running a low res neo geo board.

The hyper on JROK composite looks good to me, but low res boards don't look so hot.

You'll probably be using a better signal than composite.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
My consolized MVS was built in the mid 90's so I have no idea what NTSC converter it is (see if you can identify it from the upper-right corner of this blurry early-Internet photo). Has the potentiometers for RGB adjustment on it, so seems most similar to the Jrok board, if it's not just an early Jrok. Works fairly well, but the S-Video is fussy about which TV's it seems to look bright enough on.

mymvs.JPG

I was wondering how difficult it would be to make a housing that has all the jacks for the Neobitz on it that I can use to replace this old NTSC converter on here and upgrade to component. I'm probably not going to try it myself, as my soldering is just plain bad.