CPS2 graphic issues

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
There seems to be a problem with the A board that I bought recently. Every so often the picture flickers and sometimes the graphics impose on top of one another.

I looked at another thread which said that the connection between the A and B board must be bad but I have pushed my boards as close together as possible and still I am getting this problem...

is there anything else I can try aside from buying an entirely new A board?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
You may also try to clean the connectors between the A & B boards. Pushing them tighter will not necessarily correct the problem. Check for any residue on the A and B connectors.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I wonder if its a grounding issue causing the video signal to jump.

Raz

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
i think it might be the connection a/b board....try cleaning it again :cool:
( it happen to my sfa..i clean it..then it work's flawlessly)

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
do you have a a air compressor...clean out the board(b/a) by blowing air into to the pin hole's...the inspect the pin(s) for rust

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
ok well I tried using an air compressor both on the pins on the A-board and in the socket of the B-board and still exactly the same problem occurs with exactly the same symptoms.

It must be a problem with the A-board because the other B-board also produces the same artifacts and other non-cps2 games run fine with absolutely no graphical problems at all...

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
the graphics problems only occur after the picture shakes and seeing as how we have had a problem with the power recently (fuse keeps blowing) I am inclined to believe that it is the power that is screwing up the game. I am gonna lug my supergun and cps2 boards over to school tomorrow and see if I get the same problems there.

toodles

Zero's Secretary
eh? Is this using your newly wired namco or with the genny pad that came with it? You could be blowing fuses if you wired up +5 to one of your pins on accident.

Get a multimeter and check if your board is getting 5V

Not 4.something, not 5.something.

5V.

Also, for testing purposes, add a wire from PIN 1 (ground) to PIN 14 (video ground) on the parts side.

Post results afterwards, please.

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
Orlando Ortiz said:
Get a multimeter and check if your board is getting 5V

Not 4.something, not 5.something.

5V.

MY board is getting 4.95V constantly, no variation in the voltage at all.

Orlando Ortiz said:
Also, for testing purposes, add a wire from PIN 1 (ground) to PIN 14 (video ground) on the parts side.

I don't understand exactly. which is the parts side?

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
also def not a problem with the namco sticks as not only did I wire them perfectly but I am getting this problem with no controller plugged in at all!

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
ok I tried it on a different TV and it worked perfectly so either it's a problem with my tv or with the power supply in my house...

what kind of signal does a supergun output when it sends the signal to your TV? I am using a scart lead. Also do different boards put out different signals?

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
ok I have isolated the problem and it is my tv that is messing everything up.

I have a sharp 32 inch LCD HDMI screen (the guy who sold me the supergun said that sometimes the older the tv the better...) and I have managed to remove the graphics errors that were occuring by changing the picture from progressive to interlaced BUT the temporary screen readjustment/garbling thing is still happening.

I guess the only thing to do is call up sharp and see what they have to say. Maybe I can change an option in the service menu or something. It almost seems as if the tv is readjusting the picture whenever it garbles like that...

any ideas anyone?

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
talked to a technical guy who said that it's the Vsync on the LCD that is giving me problems. Apparently arcade boards output a frequency anywhere between 50 and 60Hz with varying horizontal frequencies and since LCDs are designed to be precise with the signal it can't seem to lock on to the differing signals coming out of the game board.

I also asked him why my SP1 board works fine on the LCD and he told me that different boards output different frequencies.

So that's it...all I can do is call up Sharp and hope they come up with a solution...

I don't suppose there are any converters out there that can stabilize the horizontal and vertical sync?

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
fixed. There was a resistor soldered onto the RGB select Pin but nothing on the sync wire so I just soldered two 220 ohm resistors onto the sync wire and now everything works. The image on my SP1 board still vibrates quite a bit but it's not really THAT noticable. I also have to run it though as NTSC 3 or 4 otherwise the picture rolls. I guess you can't have everything huh.