KOF XI in Japan

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Just got back from a few games.

Pretty pissed as my local arcade swapped NGBC for this. Anyway..

Impressions after about 30 mins of play:

Damage seemed slightly high.

Shift systems seem pretty good (but I don't claim to be able to make good use of them).

Seems clear that making good use of the various shifts is going to be the key to getting the upper edge during high-level matches.

Quick Shift during an attack is pretty easy to implement. Just land pretty much any attack and you can Quick Shift in with A+C or B+D (depending on which character you want to call in). After that it seems pretty easy to follow up with a combo/attack to keep the chain going.

When you select the order of your team, you have to select the third one, which seemed pretty odd. In other words, if you have a team of 3 and have already picked the order of the first two, there should be no need to have to pick the third. Not a big deal, just seemed odd.

Backgrounds seemed nice.

Gameplay seemed KOF. Plain and simple. What did you expect?

E button is weird to get used to (especially after NGBC). It is used for the knockdown attack, and also for guard cancel attack (push away).

There is quite a lot for you to get your head round on the first few games due to all the shift options.

Played some against the CPU too. The first two matches are a walkover, and then it starts to fight back from the third match. The machines are brand new in today, so I imagine it is set to default difficulty.

Overall

Seemed OK.

Goes without saying, but good balance and lack of bugs will make or break it.

Really didn't feel fresh at all, especially not after playing NGBC (which did/does).

I want to play some more, but at the same time it's not like I can't wait to play it again. At this stage would still rather play NGBC.

Hope to get to hear more of the music next time, but Guilty Gear next to it was incredibly loud (and fairly painful to listen to).

Last edited:

Akihabara

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for making effort to post these impressions, gonna check out the game myself tomorrow.

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Pretty pissed as my local arcade swapped NGBC for this.

funny story, NGBC was taken down from our local arcade :( ... the manager said he SOLD it. He's gonna try and purchase Xi in the following weeks though... NGBC is utterly deserted in our area :P

well, thanks for your imprssions, im honestly more hyped about XI than i was for NGBC.

Akihabara

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I will take some pics tomorrow and a movie, so check this topic later.

M

Mario san

but the gameplay (jumps, run, etc,) how feels? like kof 2002 or kof 2003?

hanafuda

but the gameplay (jumps, run, etc,) how feels? like kof 2002 or kof 2003?

I would say definitely 2003, but it's not as if it feels exactly like 2003.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the low jump now seems really low. I was pretty surprised when my character did such a small, fast jump.

Characters I used were:

Ash
Shingo
Ramon
K'
Maxima

well, thanks for your imprssions, im honestly more hyped about XI than i was for NGBC.

Yeah, I had no expectations for NGBC, but ended up loving it. My other nearby arcade (that I expected would have bought KOF XI, but as of yesterday didn't) still has 2xback to back setups of NGBC, with plenty of competition, so I am not too upset. Just very smokey in there.

Last edited:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
id say it feels like the NBC engine only more refined.

2k3 was an improved version of the SVC engine so i personally wouldnt say that it feels like 2k3.

that being said it feels really really nice, seems like theyve ironed the bugs out of the NBC engine which despite the fact i love it feels a little imprecise and floaty and got a really nice new engine.

the running feels totally new and really nice, the jumping feels nice as do all of the normals, theyve even cleaned them up so the goofy mr karate c.HK that was in NBC now (on ryo in kofxi) feels more solid like a ryu c.HK. rolls feel nice and i like the slightly slower pace though im sure the kof diehards will complain it feels too slow.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is pissing me off...all you guys in Asia getting to play NGBC,KOFXI while im in Australia still waiting...:crying:

Capt. Takehiko

Crossed Swords Squire
lachlan said:
This is pissing me off...all you guys in Asia getting to play NGBC,KOFXI while im in Australia still waiting...:crying:

I'm not sure where you live but NGBC is in Australia.

I look forward to playing this but I have the feeling I either won't or it will be swapped with NGBC.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Capt. Takehiko said:
I'm not sure where you live but NGBC is in Australia.

I look forward to playing this but I have the feeling I either won't or it will be swapped with NGBC.

NGBC is already here huh?
I only know of 3 arcades in Melbourne...

Alba Meira

n00b
I remember someone asking me about more proof of Hayate being in the game of course im not sure if it was this community or the other 6 I currently attend so Im posting pics of him in the game in other parts than what was seen before. Oh yeah ironically he's still using that same pose but here enjoy.

shohayatescreen1.jpg

theothershohayatepic.jpg

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
lachlan said:
NGBC is already here huh?
I only know of 3 arcades in Melbourne...

NGBC has been in Sydney Chinatown for months... same with Melbourne. Replay arcade in Brisbane has had it for a while as well. The 3 arcades in the Chinatown district of Melbourne are all pretty damn good for SNK games... musn't have looked properly. 3 arcades in Melbourne?... I assure you there are several dozen around Melbourne including various University's if you actually look - same goes for Sydney.

The major arcades in Sydney and Melbourne usually get the new SNK releases in first after Japan, HK etc... before the US that is for sure.

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
The video posted by eightone which had Iori in it made me think this looks really slow. It looked ridiculous, like he was walking. I dunno.

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
Bah... Check the match-vids at http://www.trftrf.com/index.html

I think the game looks really fast, maybe the overall speed is somewhat toned down but the combos, shifts and hops looks very intense. Glad to hear the new SFX and music which will without doubt blast my speakers sooner or later.

I wasn't that hyped as KOF 03 didn't do much for me, but I'm really looking forward to XI now.

hanafuda

2k3 was an improved version of the SVC engine so i personally wouldnt say that it feels like 2k3.

I see where you are coming from, but the poster was asking whether it was more like 2002 or 2003, and in that respect I think it is much more like 2003.

Even so, it really didn't make me think of NGBC much at all apart from the fact it uses the same sound effects for inserting a credit and pushing the start button. The only real aspects that I think are refined elements of the NGBC engine are the various shift systems. Beyond that it seemed very much KOF to me. Then again, I didn't spend a huge amount of time on it.

People are mentioning that it is slow but I didn't really notice that. Some of the normals seemed slower, and rolling too, but overall pace seemed good, and the shifts are really fast (apart from standard shift, where your character stands and says a few farewell words before departing).

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
hanafudaX said:

I see where you are coming from, but the poster was asking whether it was more like 2002 or 2003, and in that respect I think it is much more like 2003.

Even so, it really didn't make me think of NGBC much at all apart from the fact it uses the same sound effects for inserting a credit and pushing the start button. The only real aspects that I think are refined elements of the NGBC engine are the various shift systems. Beyond that it seemed very much KOF to me. Then again, I didn't spend a huge amount of time on it.

People are mentioning that it is slow but I didn't really notice that. Some of the normals seemed slower, and rolling too, but overall pace seemed good, and the shifts are really fast (apart from standard shift, where your character stands and says a few farewell words before departing).

i dont mean the system but rather the games engine feels like a refined version of the NBC one. yeah the systems are totally different. the engine snkp has been using for the last 2 years or so is the svc one. this game however seems to be running on their new engine which they created for NBC.

hanafuda

I see what you mean now. Yeah, I would agree with that.

Work has been too busy. Hope to play some more tomorrow...

Alphawolf

n00b
I what to know if the big push back from KOf 03 is gone.
And can allot of the old combos connect now?

Alphawolf

n00b
And does K's heat drive go through the foe on guard?
Is it unblockable at full charge.
Does he have a blackout follow