Mushihime Sama is a blast!

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I actually never saw anything related to Mushi in the past fews weeks, whereas hundreds of news and vids were available. I don't know why, I didn't pay attention to it. How wrong I were! I just bought a chipped PS2 and I wanted a new shooter. As Esp Galuda didn't seem to be in my tastes, I chose Mushi.

The thing is that I don't actually have my system yet, so I played in my import store Neo Ayato to test it first. And god this game is so good I almost can't believe it. I haven't played recent shooters for years apart from ikaruga months ago. So when I saw the graphics, I just thought "wow". I love the bug thing atmosphere and all the rest. I play a lot of Batsugun at the moment so believe me, the gap graphics-wise is HUGE. lol
The gameplay is excellent, even if I still haven't understood the scoring system in a few credits.

I already love this game and I'm looking forward to playing it in depth.
:buttrock:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Its a good game but its very inconsistant. In normal mode the shots are fast and aimed towards you instead of pattern based like other Cave games. And what I mean by inconsistant is no matter how much I play (remember this is just my opinion) I cant seem to get consistant results, for example on one run I could get to stage 5 and on the next loose it on stage 3 and not have similar results. But when I play galuda or ketsui I'm always getting to around the same spot.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Spike said:
Its a good game but its very inconsistant. In normal mode the shots are fast and aimed towards you instead of pattern based like other Cave games. And what I mean by inconsistant is no matter how much I play (remember this is just my opinion) I cant seem to get consistant results, for example on one run I could get to stage 5 and on the next loose it on stage 3 and not have similar results. But when I play galuda or ketsui I'm always getting to around the same spot.

Spike speaks the truth.

I couldn't get into it....not to mention the graphics on the port giving me eye-cancer.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
pixeljunkie said:
Spike speaks the truth.

I couldn't get into it....not to mention the graphics on the port giving me eye-cancer.

I heard about the supposed constant blinking of the screen but I didn't notice while playing. Otherwise Spike I can't confront my opinion with yours as I didn't play long enough. Otherwise the aiming bullets are no problem for me, I like it. Mars Matrix plays the same way. There are 2 types in Mushi: aiming bullets AND patterns. It's not all about dodging bullets thrown at you.

Kiel

20 Year Member
I feel like I am playing a Psikyo game when I play Mushi.

Also a majority of the time I dont even see what kills me.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Spike said:

Is it that bad?

I don't agree on this one. I might be too used to Battle Garegga but I always clearly saw what bullet killed me. It's a bit unfair as bullets are flashy purple isn't it?

Valgar

NEST Puppet
It is somewhat like a Psikyo game on ORIGINAL mode....Maniac is normal, Cave feeling.

You may only notice a problem with the ports graphics if using RGB or are used to an arcade monitor.

BIG

sony fanboy
I think Mushi might be Cave's unofficial "tribute" to Psikyo.

B-

Kiel

20 Year Member
Tristesse said:
Is it that bad?

Hey, hey! what the hell is that supposed to mean?!

Psikyo is good stuff, Strikers 99 and Dragon Blaze are some of my fav. games.

Just wait until you get to stage 3 and you will know what I mean about not knowing what hit you. (on normal mode)

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Spike said:

ditto. and I can't stand hearing that blood-curdling scream for every death.

I just could not get into Mushi at all. It's just so... so... meh. There's nothing that really makes me want to keep playing it, I just don't see what the big deal was.

ESPGaluda > Mushihime

BIG

sony fanboy
Mushi is good,but if you've grown accustomed to the Cave-style of gameplay/bullet patterns,then perhaps you probably won't enjoy it as much as,say,ESPGaluda or Dodonpachi.

B-

Kiel

20 Year Member
Yeah, it is different. Ibara is too. I hope that this trend doesnt continue though, I like my Cave games to be Cave games and I would like Galuda 2 to be much like galuda.

I dont want to scare off Tristesse though, Mushi is a good game after all, just maybe not what you expect if you have been playing Cave games for a while.

BIG

sony fanboy
I didn't like Ibara much for the very same reason.

Bring on 'Galuda II.

B-

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I like Mushihime.

Yeah, it has different bullet patterns than DDP, so?

Cave obviously wanted to try something different this time instead of coming up with yet another DDP clone.

That Psikyo comment was uncalled for IMO... I didn't know that Psikyo was so un-popular among the ppl here, but comparing Mushi to a P game is nonsense, there's not an ounce of P-style in Mushihime.

Damn haters. :oh_no:

eastyy

Quiz Detective
I thought this game was great the scoring system works really well.

And i thought it looked pretty good to

Did not find this as hard as the other cave shooters to begin with.But if you go to the highest difficulty then it reall provides a challenge

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Takumaji said:
I like Mushihime.

Yeah, it has different bullet patterns than DDP, so?

Cave obviously wanted to try something different this time instead of coming up with yet another DDP clone.

That Psikyo comment was uncalled for IMO... I didn't know that Psikyo was so un-popular among the ppl here, but comparing Mushi to a P game is nonsense, there's not an ounce of P-style in Mushihime.

Damn haters. :oh_no:

Agreed. Sorry Spike for the Psykio comment but yes, I can't stand Psykio games. As you say, tastes are different for everyone, but like Takumaji, I clearly don't see the Psykio side in Mushi. I don't know, it's just not the same feeling at all.

Anyway, you know, I'm really not intransigent with games. I never understood the flames whenever a game as slightly poorer graphics than the arcade, no tate mode, no 60Hz or whatever. I never got a cab, that's surely why I just don't understand all this. I just play my game, enjoy them, that's all. I played Mushi, enjoyed it, that makes a top game for me. :)

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Tristesse said:
Agreed. Sorry Spike for the Psykio comment but yes, I can't stand Psykio games. As you say, tastes are different for everyone, but like Takumaji, I clearly don't see the Psykio side in Mushi. I don't know, it's just not the same feeling at all.

Anyway, you know, I'm really not intransigent with games. I never understood the flames whenever a game as slightly poorer graphics than the arcade, no tate mode, no 60Hz or whatever. I never got a cab, that's surely why I just don't understand all this. I just play my game, enjoy them, that's all. I played Mushi, enjoyed it, that makes a top game for me. :)

Uhm, my comment about the Psikyo comment was aimed at you.... that bad, wtf?

Ah well, tastes...

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Ha ha, sorry for the misunderstanding. Oh well, it's not that important if I really dislike Psykio games, there are a lot of other shmups to play with. Anyway, I seem to be the only one thinking that way so it's no big deal. ;) Shmups are like music, there are tastes for everyone.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
BBH said:
ditto. and I can't stand hearing that blood-curdling scream for every death.

I just could not get into Mushi at all. It's just so... so... meh. There's nothing that really makes me want to keep playing it, I just don't see what the big deal was.

ESPGaluda > Mushihime

quoted because its what I was thinking.

My prob with the graphics on the Mushi port are hard to explain. Be it in tate or yoko, it still has a weird look to it. Closest thing I can compare it to is an emulator. It feels like I'm playing it in MAME. The Arika ports did not look like that.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I started playing Mushi on PS2 about 2 weeks ago and have grown to like it.

I got to stage 5 once :multi_co:

Stage 3 is so fucking hard with that big boss thing. Your right you cannot see shit half the time.

What I found I disliked about it origonally was the choice of fire power which determines the speed of your ship. I'd like the fastest ship with the M power but its not available.

Its a damn good game. But Caves finest that i've played a DDP/DDP DOJ and ESP ra.de. Mushi ranks 4th out of the 5 i've played.

Los res filtering does not bother me at all.

I think i'm gonna buy the Cave elite on PS2 cos I miss em so much.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Valgar said:
It is somewhat like a Psikyo game on ORIGINAL mode....Maniac is normal, Cave feeling.

You may only notice a problem with the ports graphics if using RGB or are used to an arcade monitor.

There is a problem when playing this in RGB? How so?

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Neorichieb1971 said:
Its a damn good game. But Caves finest that i've played a DDP/DDP DOJ and ESP ra.de. Mushi ranks 4th out of the 5 i've played.

DDP DOJ seems incredibly hard seeing the few videos I got. How can it be beaten???

SuperPang

Cham Cham's Espresso,
Spike said:

Stick to Maniac. Cave gold.