Sega Genesis Shooters

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
If there are still any genesis fans out there, which shmups do you like most on the system. I have always enjoyed the Thunderforce series, Gaiares, Gaiares, and Musha/Aleste.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
best shooters on Genesis/megadrive

Gynoug (wings of wor)
Thunderforce 3
Zero wing
Fire shark
Truxton (Tatsujin)

PLECO

I am an old, old man. ,
Battlemania 1(Trouble Shooter)
Battlemania 2
Twinkle Tale
Undeadline
Elemental Master

I know there's more but it's been so long.........

eastyy

Quiz Detective
Gynoug
Hellfire
thunderforce 4

Though if you stretch to other forms of shooters (platform shooters) i would recommend

Ranger x
gunstar heroes

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
eastyy said:
Gynoug
Hellfire
thunderforce 4

Though if you stretch to other forms of shooters (platform shooters) i would recommend

Ranger x
gunstar heroes

oh yeah HELLFIRE!!!! thats a good un, :mr_t:

Steel empire, forgotten worlds too!

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
Black IcE said:
If there are still any genesis fans out there, which shmups do you like most on the system. I have always enjoyed the Thunderforce series, Gaiares, Gaiares, and Musha/Aleste.

+1 for Musha/Aleste

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Pocketgamer said:
+1 for Musha/Aleste

Same here, it's one of my all time favorites.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I really want to play Gleylancer. Not a cheap game. :mad:

Thunderforce IV (Favorite game on Genesis)
Thunderforce III
Thunderforce II
Musha Aleste
Elemental Master
Forgotten Worlds
All Sega CD shooters are good.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Some of my fave Genny shmups:

ThunderForce IV

Raiden Trad

Fire Shark

Sol-Deace

Gynoug

M.U.S.H.A.

Twin Cobra

...etc...

Gleylancer is slightly overrated IMO, considering its high price tag. It plays R-Type-ish with some Darius/Gradius elements thrown in (like the sidepod system) for good measure, graphics and sound are very good, but well, I'd recommend anyone who plans on buying this one to try the rom first. Apart from excellent presentation and lots of story bits with partly animated sequences, the game pretty much is standard horizontal shmup fare.

If you want the most intense horizontal shmup action, there's no way around ThunderForce IV... I LOVE this game, every little bit of it.

And yeah, Gaiares is great as well.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'm surprised at the lack of Eliminate Down love this thread sorely needs.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
i dont have a megadrive any more, if anyone wants my Jap Gynoug and Zero wing (both boxed with instructions) send me a PM :)

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
After getting married and having kids, I have gone through various phases of selling games. Yet I have always managed to hang on to a copy of Valis 3 and Gaiares and my modded Genesis 2. Partly because I can't get squat for them, but I still love that old system. I completely forgot about Hellfire.

Another shooter(esk) game of note is Space Harrier 2.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I got lucky and found Gleylancer for £20 around a year ago. I think it's a great game as with other Masaya stuff like Gynoug and Devil Hunter. All their games have such incredible music.

Another vote for Hellfire, simply gorgeous with a godly soundtrack.

I'm not so keen on the Thunderforce games, I find them quite messy and confusing on the eye. Thunderforce V is a disgrace, it's just painful to look at. I much prefer other Technosoft shooters like Elemental Master and Hyper Duel.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I admit, moonwhistle, whenever I played a TF game I was a bit overwhelmed (especially with TFV), but you'd oughtta' keep playing them and take the time to beat/learn them. It pays off in the long run, I couldn't stop playing TFIV for days.

I don't consider Ex-Ranza/Ranger-X a shmup.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I agree with Tak, Thunderforce 4 (aka Lightening Force) was an incredible game. One of the best shooters for the Genny, graphically blew away almost everything else!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
MY favorites are M.U.S.H.A and Sagaia (I know, Sagaia's pretty standard fare).

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Master of Weapon (Japanese Mega Drive)
Arrow Flash
Thunderforce 2-4
Truxton
Earth Defense (peculiar unlicensed shooter, translation is worse than Zero Wing)

Last edited:

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Whip Rush was the first Genesis shooter I ever owned. In retrospect, it's a very mediocre game, but I had a lot of fun 1-cc'ing it.

Thunderforce IV is probably my favorite for the system, but it's difficult to see everything on the Nomad screen.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Formation Z said:
Earth Defense (peculiar unlicensed shooter, translation is worse than Zero Wing)

I've only played the SNES Super Earth Defense Force, but rumor has it that only 3-4 people developed. I honestly hate the SNES game, but I've always thought it was cool that the dev team was so small.