KOF XI sucks

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Yes, me and RGP played it briefly yesterday at a show. If Neowave is 02, then this is 03, with tagging etc. The chara lineup is kinda weird, Andy, Joe, Robert and Takuma are all missing. The teams are all messed up too. Terry has his MOTW outfit. I preferred NGBC to it, although that too was kinda meh. Hopefully Pete will post the pics of it...the pics of nobody playing it despite it being on freeplay.
¬_¬

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
J0e Musashi said:
Yes, me and RGP played it briefly yesterday at a show. If Neowave is 02, then this is 03, with tagging etc. The chara lineup is kinda weird, Andy, Joe, Robert and Takuma are all missing. The teams are all messed up too. Terry has his MOTW outfit. I preferred NGBC to it, although that too was kinda meh. Hopefully Pete will post the pics of it...the pics of nobody playing it despite it being on freeplay.
¬_¬

Is the sloppy juggling from 03 still a problem? *Tag based*

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Please elaborate if you can on what makes it "suck". Not trying to shoot your opinion down but if you are able please go into detail about the gameplay nuances that werent to your liking. THANKS!

O.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Everything about it I didn't like. It's just not like KOFs of old, the good KOFs. It was just boring to play, nothing new or exciting about it at all. I hated it that much that I only played twice. I wasn't able to pick my usual team as the charas I like are missing, I had to settle on Ryo, Terry and Kim. Usually I would only use Ryo out of those 3 charas.

I can't give a major review here as I didn't play at length, but for a hardened KOF fan to be meh after only 2 games must say something. I could have stood their and played for as long as I liked too due to the complete lack of interest it was receiving. When you get to play it, do not expect a 98, 2k1 or 2k2. That's all I'm saying.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Yeah, I feel this same way about Neowave. I think that game is sloppy as hell but alot of KOF fans love it. I'd take 02 or 98 any day over NW.

I have to try out XI before I say anything, but 2003 felt like such a different game that I don't consider it a real KOF in the same aspect as the old ones. I need my CD hits and combo system of 2002/98! Ryo has lost a style of play because of the lack of cd hits.

KOF MI bored me.

2003 was sorta fun for something new, but I dont play it like 2002 and 98. 2003 is EXCELLENT though, so I need to get some sticks and gear up and practice like I used to. KOF needs a break and we need sequals to games like LB and Garou. Its gotten to a point where I'm getting sick of a series I once loved. They're cramming the shit down our throats, and the half assed work shows badly because of it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
J0e Musashi said:
Yes, me and RGP played it briefly yesterday at a show. If Neowave is 02, then this is 03, with tagging etc. The chara lineup is kinda weird, Andy, Joe, Robert and Takuma are all missing. The teams are all messed up too. Terry has his MOTW outfit.
These are all things we knew months ago. Obviously, this was going to continue tagging, like 2000 continued 1999's strikers. Expect at least the next one to also have tagging.

Was there anything specific you didn't like? I'm hearing good things from other people, so I'm interested to hear what you didn't like, or maybe you've just soured on the whole thing.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
there are about 3 people into kof in england anyway

no big deal nobody was giving a shit

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
It could indeed be that I've soured. I didn't like the continuation of 03 style and I was extremely disappointed in the chara roster. The "offers nothing new that hasn't been seen before" feature also kinda made me wonder what the big wait has been about.

SouthtownKid said:
These are all things we knew months ago. Obviously, this was going to continue tagging, like 2000 continued 1999's strikers. Expect at least the next one to also have tagging.

Was there anything specific you didn't like? I'm hearing good things from other people, so I'm interested to hear what you didn't like, or maybe you've just soured on the whole thing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
J0e Musashi said:
It could indeed be that I've soured. I didn't like the continuation of 03 style and I was extremely disappointed in the chara roster. The "offers nothing new that hasn't been seen before" feature also kinda made me wonder what the big wait has been about.
Would the "offers nothing new that hasn't been seen before" feature have been better for you if the game resembled '98 more than '03?

As muh as I like Andy, Mai, Robert...how many games have they been in? Some change can be good. Should KOF always be the exact same characters, with just a new soundtrack? You say this is not like the old KOFs. What is stopping you from playing the old KOFs? The ones with those characters?

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
I like the reshuffled roster.

I didn't expect it to play like the old KOFs and nor did I expect something very new.

All in all, I'm still looking forward to it.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
KOF 2003 was good in many ways (gameplay, roster, general look ....etc).

the series lost its touch since 99, so why complain about this now?

@LWK:

not sure if already know this, but:

Ryo (Leader):

- qcf x2 A+C LDM comes out almost instantly and hits everything ..... everything:

- once the opponent is stunned, push him to the corner (no worries. it takes him forever to recover from the stun)

short jump C .... offensive tag (call Kyo) ..... short jump C ..... close C ..... qcf D, D ..... qcf A .... hcb A A

bingo! the opponent is destroyed. throw two hits and he's out. or you can add a jump C -> close C before Ryo's LDM for a 100% combo.

the point is, Ryo is a beast, but he has to be a leader. no one would ever dare jump or attack carelessly while playing against him.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
SouthtownKid said:
Would the "offers nothing new that hasn't been seen before" feature have been better for you if the game resembled '98 more than '03?

As much as I like Andy, Mai, Robert...how many games have they been in? Some change can be good. Should KOF always be the exact same characters, with just a new soundtrack? You say this is not like the old KOFs. What is stopping you from playing the old KOFs? The ones with those characters?

No, I'd have preferred if all the old charas were there as well as new ones.
I'm disappointed at how basically its 03 with different people. Something new is needed, but its just the same old, same old again and again. The jump in hardware has still not justified itself imo as the 2 KOFs we have so far are not significantly better than any of the 10 MVS versions, yet there has been a delay of 2 years in getting them.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic

Let me paraphrase:

Two scrubs played against the CPU for ten minutes, but didn't like it because their bestest characters weren't on the roster, and because it wasn't on the MVS hardware. After a couple of minutes of basic level play, the summary was that the game engine has similarities to KOF 2003.

Verdict after playing twice was that the new KOF game needs a complete re-haul, but the new Guilty Gear game was head and shoulders above the competition.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
hanafudaX said:

Let me paraphrase:

Two scrubs played against the CPU for ten minutes, but didn't like it because their bestest characters weren't on the roster, and because it wasn't on the MVS hardware. After a couple of minutes of basic level play, the summary was that the game engine has similarities to KOF 2003.

Verdict after playing twice was that the new KOF game needs a complete re-haul, but the new Guilty Gear game was head and shoulders above the competition.

Yes, you're exactly right. /sarcasm (for the benefit of our American friends) I've only actually been playing KOF since 1994, but hey.
Just like 99% of everyone who posted, you didn't understand what I was getting at. 11 is tired and doesn't do anything to make anyone choose to play it over any of the others.
KOF will never improve when idiots pump coins into it regardless of how bad it is. I guess the bashing of SNK Playmore's incompetence is just for laughs?

Last edited:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
hanafudaX said:

Let me paraphrase:

More into VF4 myself so I guess I can agree with you

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/809903/lcdft1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/809903/01047.jpg

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
k'_127 said:
KOF 2003 was good in many ways (gameplay, roster, general look ....etc).

the series lost its touch since 99, so why complain about this now?

@LWK:

not sure if already know this, but:

Ryo (Leader):

- qcf x2 A+C LDM comes out almost instantly and hits everything ..... everything:

- once the opponent is stunned, push him to the corner (no worries. it takes him forever to recover from the stun)

short jump C .... offensive tag (call Kyo) ..... short jump C ..... close C ..... qcf D, D ..... qcf A .... hcb A A

bingo! the opponent is destroyed. throw two hits and he's out. or you can add a jump C -> close C before Ryo's LDM for a 100% combo.

the point is, Ryo is a beast, but he has to be a leader. no one would ever dare jump or attack carelessly while playing against him.

I'm talking about the sCD into qcfA. Just basic gameplay. Thats something I've seen people I've played use who are into ryo. I use this also as it just creates a offensive area.
Like I said man, I need to put some time into 2003.

hanafuda

J0e Musashi said:
Yes, you're exactly right. /sarcasm (for the benefit of our American friends) I've only actually been playing KOF since 1994, but hey.
Just like 99% of everyone who posted, you didn't understand what I was getting at. 11 is tired and doesn't do anything to make anyone choose to play it over any of the others.
KOF will never improve when idiots pump coins into it regardless of how bad it is. I guess the bashing of SNK Playmore's incompetence is just for laughs?

Did you play against any decent competition?

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Did you even read any of my other posts? I played 2 games against the CPU. I fail to see what difference it makes though. If you've played enough of a game you can judge if a new version of it isn't up to scratch, hence me walking away after only 2 games disappointed in it. It's KOF, it'll be the same as playing any other KOF regardless of who you're playing against. Why would I want to play versus when the charas I choose aren't even in it? If people choose to play 02 over Neowave, I fail to see where me saying I'd rather play 03 than XI is a bad thing. KOFs on AW sucks, simple as. Hopefully one day they'll bring out a decent one, but this isn't it.

Last edited:

hanafuda

I fail to see what difference it makes though. If you've played enough of a game you can judge if a new version of it isn't up to scratch, hence me walking away after only 2 games disappointed in it. It's KOF, it'll be the same as playing any other KOF regardless of who you're playing against.

Thanks. You just confirmed what I suspected. When was the last time you played any KOF in an arcade against even half-decent competition? Also, how the hell can you even consider judging a fighting game after two plays against the CPU?

Goodbye.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
J0e Musashi said:
Did you even read any of my other posts? I played 2 games against the CPU. I fail to see what difference it makes though. If you've played enough of a game you can judge if a new version of it isn't up to scratch, hence me walking away after only 2 games disappointed in it. It's KOF, it'll be the same as playing any other KOF regardless of who you're playing against. Why would I want to play versus when the charas I choose aren't even in it? If people choose to play 02 over Neowave, I fail to see where me saying I'd rather play 03 than XI is a bad thing. KOFs on AW sucks, simple as. Hopefully one day they'll bring out a decent one, but this isn't it.

hahah, you played against the comp before playing against people to judge this game? C'mon man, thats a very kernow attitude. I'm a hypocrite though, I did this same thing with NW. Then eventually I played a friend and totally hated the game. I can't put my finger on it, something about that game seems different then 98 and 2002. I like 2002 a million times more then 98 though.

Last edited:

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
it's true after 2002 it went a little downhill, but i don't think 2 plays warranted it to be called a bad game straight away. i personally hated 2k3, NW and NGBC (yes, no shit), but i played them extensively before i come to my conclusion. so it's best to say it's too early to judge anything.