Raiden Fighters Jet

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I have been playing a lot of this lately at the arcade. Or what's a lot for me given what time I can afford gaming at the moment.

Anyhow, as I can't find any good FAQ's on the net about this, let's try here. Does anyone know what if anything affects the behaviour of the medals as you are building them? What causes the growing medal to sometimes home in on the smaller ones, sometimes avoid them completely, sometimes home in on YOU, etc. Dependent on the number of Slave power-ups you have perhaps? It's just irritating as fuck sometimes trying to build it up and it decides to act all finnicky and just fucks you up instead, or you end up getting it when it's tiny.

About secrets, I only knew about the Miclus bonuses myself, so then I found this http://www.gamespot.com/arcade/action/raidenfightersjet/hints.html which was good and but I know for a fact it's missing fairy locations, since I sometimes even get it on Level 1, and have definitely had it twice on Level 5, and somewhere or other else where it's not mentioned there. No idea if it's missing Miclus locations.

Top score so far is a crappy 35.9 million. I say crappy since when I have a score around that there will be for example one bullet on the whole screen and I will fly my plane right the fuck into it to bring my game to an end on a mission I'm quite familiar with, so I still think my potential is rather something better.

On a strategic note, if you want to get off to a good start, first of all shoot the turret on the plane at the start of Level 1, quick shot ALL the medium-sized planes, but most importantly after doing so to the first two kill the larger plane that gives you the slave as fast as possible, and get the Slave. Then your medals begin to build. Since you destroyed the turret, you will get another (idle) plane further up on the left side of the screen to shoot at for another Slave (and another small medal). Since you quick shot all the medium planes, you will get an extra tank to destroy before the boss for another 4 medals. This is the point where I sometimes get the fairy. Get the other medal from the small tank left of the boss while it's still idle and if you collected them all you should already have the Eagle medal worth the 2048000 points. High score tip for the boss: you can either try shooting the 2 guns and 2 back cannons separately and try to do it quickly enough for the bonus, or shoot the back ones more and the front ones a bit and just bomb it for an easy time getting the quick shot bonus up to x 4. Then destroy the boss and off you go.

The real fun comes at the start of Level 5 then, kill the first few planes & mini turrets then hover over the large turret, get the Miclus out, shoot it and BAM! (bomb noise) You now get the big Raiden medals and from here, basically just survive from this point onwards and your score will go insane. Remember that the medals do eventually get up to 100,000 points each. And don't forget to find the other two Micli (proper plural form?) for the huge bonus and all the medals.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Shibusawa said:
Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of playing this myself but the guys in http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=883 this topic seem to know more about it.

Hope that helps.

Now somebody tell me how I replace that link with the simple word 'here' ?

There's a "insert hyperlink" button above the text window when you reply to a thread or start a new one, it lets you chose a link-word like "here" and the link itself, then your link will appear as "here" instead of the raw url.

About Raiden Fighters, the games never appeared in the arcades I go to. I've played Jet on a gaming meeting and was very impressed but I haven't played it thoroughly enough to give any helpful tips.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Thanks, nice link, I have never been to that site before. And frankly I post on enough message boards as it is, but it remains a good read.

For hyperlinking, (url=http://.....)insert text here(/url) but replace the round parentheses with square ones []. Or click on the button above the post box, 4th from the left with the globe and chain, and it will help you do this.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
This is a fucking shame - I'm a huge Raiden II fan and never even heard of the Raiden Fighters series, and I'll probably never get a chance to play any of them. Hopefully a compilation will come out one day, but I seriously doubt it.

Shibusawa

Quiz Detective
Finally ! I can do hyperlink (well I'll practise a bit first during the quiet moments) !

Cheers guys, I feel all 'in the know' right now :glee:

Personally I´ve never played anything with the Raiden name on it but am thinking about ordering Raiden 3 as an entry point to the series. In what does the Fighters series differ from the ´just´ Raiden´s ?

SuperPang

Cham Cham's Espresso,
Looky what I picked up on YJP this week :buttrock:

ko_six-img600x450-1128251177rfj1.jpg

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
SuperPang said:

You're just lucky I haven't got much time to wait for slow sellers to ship me stuff like that :angry: I'd have been all over that lot. Nice one anyway, glad to see you got it.

SuperPang

Cham Cham's Espresso,
It's gone to a good home :drool:

Goodies arrived today btw :chimp: Many thanks.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Not bad for 30,000Y, I was watching it, but I decided to buy something else ;)
(watch out for SNK_Sniperjp)

SuperPang said:

Last edited:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Shibusawa said:
Finally ! I can do hyperlink (well I'll practise a bit first during the quiet moments) !

Cheers guys, I feel all 'in the know' right now :glee:

Personally I´ve never played anything with the Raiden name on it but am thinking about ordering Raiden 3 as an entry point to the series. In what does the Fighters series differ from the ´just´ Raiden´s ?

III is a horrible game, don't use it as your entry point or you may never take the time to experience this treasure trove of games Seibu Kaihatsu offered us.

The differences between the series are many.

Raiden is a slow-paced series with a very small ship for you to command, which is also the only ship and is the same for 2P. Raiden Fighters offers you loads of fair-sized planes each with unique statistics, the speed was bumped up several notches as well. The Raiden series only offers weapon & missile power-ups, the Fighters series also introduced the Slave which is a bit like an Option in Gradius, up to two of which can be had at once and the behaviour of which varies. Raiden also offers you 2~3 different types of weapon power-ups and straight/homing missiles whereas the Fighters series aircraft are stuck with the basic type of shot/missiles they have, which can of course be upgraded, but never changed.

Scoring works in different ways as well. Raiden only has these small medals not worth a huge amount, and then there are blue ones worth a good bit more, there's the fairy bonus, there is also a Miclus bonus although it simply gives you points, completely contrasting its Fighters series equivalent, and your mission bonus score also depends on the number of bombs you have. Raiden Fighters operates on medal-building up to a huge one which afterwards can offer you large bonus ones all the time. At least in Jet, the level bonus depends on something I forget, medals earned & technical ability (how well you played the level, often 8 or 9 for me, or 3 or 4 if I die). There are lots more secrets seemingly, with Fairy and Miclus bonuses discussed on the other end of the link you sent me and which I mentioned here. I think both series have the quick shot/destroyed at a time bonus, though even if not in Fighters you can get a score multiplier for how many enemy planes of the right sort you blow the shit out of soon as you see them.

In Jet the levels can vary too, like multiple paths in Metal Slug 3. I forget if this applies to other Fighters series games as my memory from only a month ago is crap.

The graphic styles are also markedly different. The original Raiden series has extremely old school-looking graphics of a shooter well done, the Fighters series looks far more polished, brighter, crisper, sharper and more detailed, but actually I prefer the original series' ones which were superbly done.

You get the idea. Lots different about them, but still some crossover and similarities too, such as some of the bombs, weapons, ships, general gameplay and so forth. Amazed I managed all that without falling asleep, which I think I shall now do for a bit.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
galfordo said:
This is a fucking shame - I'm a huge Raiden II fan and never even heard of the Raiden Fighters series, and I'll probably never get a chance to play any of them. Hopefully a compilation will come out one day, but I seriously doubt it.

Awesome "off-shoot" series. Some people don't like it for it's heavy emphasis on firepower over technical dodging and stuff. Even if they did release a complilation, it probably wouldn't come out here. :blow_top:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo Bomber Man said:
III is a horrible game, don't use it as your entry point or you may never take the time to experience this treasure trove of games Seibu Kaihatsu offered us.

Care to elaborate? I agree that one shouldn't use Raiden III as entry point, but other than that I quite enjoy it, except for the new green rubber laser perhaps and the boring music.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Raiden Fighters Jet is AWESOME. All three games in the Raiden Fighters series kick ass, anybody who hasn't tried them should really check out MAME sometime... if you're cool with emulation and all that.

my high score in the arcade was over 90 mil, but it was on a "Raiden Fighters Jet 2000" bootleg (or Chinese version?) in Las Vegas. RFJ 2000 is pathetically easy compared to the real RFJ, and strangely that versions hasn't been dumped for MAME yet. Hmm. I haven't been able to finish the "real" RFJ.

You can get into 10k medal mode before Stage-01 is over. Once you get the 2,048,000 medal, go to the right side and hover over one of the jets on the ground during the boss battle, a Miclus will come out. I don't know if you already knew about that, if not I'll get a screenshot of it. Then once you're in 10k medal mode you can get it up to 100k on that first gun turret on Stage-05.

The "technical point" bonus also seems to be affected by how often you let bullets "scrape" the wings of your ship. Of course, I don't recommend actually trying for this unless you're a Japanese crack addict with perfect knowledge of the hitbox. (Raiden Fighters 1 and 2 award immediate bonus points for bullet scraping, but it only affects end-of-level bonus on Jet)

uhhhhhh probably some other stuff I was going to mention but I forgot already

eight one

Igniz's Servent
Actually, you can get up 2.5 mil for the larger medals.

If you have a Slave(option) handy, you might sometimes run into a "floater" medal. These stay on the screen and absorb other medals increasing their value. You can even "steer" the larger medal to absorb the smaller ones.

You can also get quick shot bonuses by destroying larger enemies quickly (of course).

There are also bonuses for destroying larger enemies in a formation (this includes symmetrical boss parts) in a short amount of time.

The Fairy is awesome. She can take take out some bosses in one bomb (sometimes two).

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I really need to play this game! I've played every other raiden except III. :very_ang:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
eight one said:
Actually, you can get up 2.5 mil for the larger medals.

If you have a Slave(option) handy, you might sometimes run into a "floater" medal. These stay on the screen and absorb other medals increasing their value. You can even "steer" the larger medal to absorb the smaller ones.

Um, no kidding, you need to build one of the 2,048,000 medals before you can enter "super medal mode" for the 100k medals. And NBM already knew about this too.

besides, it's much better to be picking up single medals for 100k a pop than continually trying to build the 2 mil ones. I don't remember the exact number of medals it takes to build up to 2 mil, but it has to be more than 20, which of course is around the same amount you'd get from a big one, but now you don't have to worry about accidentally running into the medal before it's the right size, or having excess medals get absorbed into it when it's already at max value. And of course, you could end up losing the chain completely if you end up losing both of your Slaves. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about here. ;)

I find the Ixion to be the best ship for me, as it combines speed with some decent-powered lasers and one of those nice bombs you can control the distance of.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
BBH said:
Um, no kidding, you need to build one of the 2,048,000 medals before you can enter "super medal mode" for the 100k medals. And NBM already knew about this too.

besides, it's much better to be picking up single medals for 100k a pop than continually trying to build the 2 mil ones. I don't remember the exact number of medals it takes to build up to 2 mil, but it has to be more than 20, which of course is around the same amount you'd get from a big one, but now you don't have to worry about accidentally running into the medal before it's the right size, or having excess medals get absorbed into it when it's already at max value. And of course, you could end up losing the chain completely if you end up losing both of your Slaves. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about here. ;)

I find the Ixion to be the best ship for me, as it combines speed with some decent-powered lasers and one of those nice bombs you can control the distance of.

Um, I didn't know you knew. Don't be a jackass.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
eight one said:
Um, I didn't know you knew. Don't be a jackass.

You know I got nothing against you bro, I just don't like being corrected when I know what I'm talking about. And the 2 million-point medals were mentioned in the very first post too, so.... yeah

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Thanks, if you could do me a photo of where that stage 1 Miclus is I'd be happy. I haven't abandoned the thread either, I'm just not really posting until I finish moving, which is later today.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Neo Bomber Man said:
Thanks, if you could do me a photo of where that stage 1 Miclus is I'd be happy. I haven't abandoned the thread either, I'm just not really posting until I finish moving, which is later today.

rfjet1.png
rfjet2.png

just hover in that circled area for a couple seconds and the Miclus will appear. There are juuuuust enough medals prior to this point to be able to pick up the 2 million medal, so just back off and shoot the Miclus and then you'll be good to go...

eight one

Igniz's Servent
BBH said:
You know I got nothing against you bro, I just don't like being corrected when I know what I'm talking about. And the 2 million-point medals were mentioned in the very first post too, so.... yeah

Yeah...don't be a jackass anyway.

Thanks for pointing out the first post, though.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
eight one said:
Yeah...don't be a jackass anyway.

Hey that's great. Now follow your own advice and drop it.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
yo BBH which version of mame do you use for these shooters. a friend of mine also has a lot of shooters on final burn alpha. i also want to play these shooters on my pc but dont know which version of mame to use. he had games like guwange and esprade and all the older cave/taito stuff. im thinking about burning all his shooter roms and using them for mame on my pc. he got these roms from a spanish friend of ours who i havent seen in a long time. you got any links for me for roms of these games like RFJ and ESP rade and other games? thanx.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Any version of MAME after 0.93 or 0.94 plays them fine. As for roms, you're on your own there. (Google is your friend)