RUMOR: Samurai Shodown V for GBA

Co Attican

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've heard rumors of this a few other places as well. But this is the first link I've to ESRB, hopefully it'll make it, but I hear the X-Box version is going to be edited while GBA won't. Seeing someone censor part of a game while Nintendo doesn't will be a first LOL but it's nice to know you can have a portable version of the whole game.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Do what? SNK's Answer man says SSV will have English story and blood. That's more than enough for me. But I'd rather play it somewhat altered on XBox than stare at that small screen for a GBA conversion.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'll have to see if SNK Answer Man can confirm or deny this rumor.

If it is in fact true I'll be happy I don't have to buy an Xbox just for the game, but I think it would fit better off on the DS with its better disk capacity, buttons, and such.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why are those idiots still censoring stuff!? That's what our rating system is for!

Shoe-A-Palooza

Kabuki Klasher
Co Attican said:
I've heard rumors of this a few other places as well. But this is the first link I've to ESRB, hopefully it'll make it, but I hear the X-Box version is going to be edited while GBA won't. Seeing someone censor part of a game while Nintendo doesn't will be a first LOL but it's nice to know you can have a portable version of the whole game.

If SSV makes it to GBA, it won't be the whole game. They'll have to remove many frames of the fighters' animations to fit a 708 meg game onto a 256 meg cart.

Y'know?

Shoe-A-Palooza

Kabuki Klasher
KagerouSama said:
Do what? SNK's Answer man says SSV will have English story and blood. That's more than enough for me. But I'd rather play it somewhat altered on XBox than stare at that small screen for a GBA conversion.

Yeah the Xbox ver. will have blood, maybe just not as much? (For example, when you get caught by Yoshitora's "A-sai-yo!" there will be less blood gushing than the Neo-Geo ver.)

As for the lack of 'generic' fatalities, I thought the original version of SSV didn't have any to begin with (or was that just the AES version?)
And no, I'm not talking about SSV Special.

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
Fuck! Where is the is the PS2 love from playmore? I'd love to see SS1-5(special included) from playmore for the US PS2. Kof '00-'03 was a great start, but how about some of the classics along with SS1- SS5S? Playmore, listen to the fans and while your are at it bring AOF3 and GMOTW to US PS2!

hanafuda

Bizarre. Still, I have my eyes on a GB Micro, so this would be further justification provided the port was good.

For the time being, I will make do with Gunstar Super Heroes, which I just picked up.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Well, the SNK answer man denied this rumor for me. It should be for Xbox only.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Tom said:
Fuck! Where is the is the PS2 love from playmore? I'd love to see SS1-5(special included) from playmore for the US PS2. Kof '00-'03 was a great start, but how about some of the classics along with SS1- SS5S? Playmore, listen to the fans and while your are at it bring AOF3 and GMOTW to US PS2!

It's called SCEA won't let them because they either won't bundle or want to sell the games at a higher price than SCEA deems reasonable.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
And Playmore doesn't want to cut down too low in price, for the release. Seems SCEA deems anything that's 2D, regardless of age, should be packed in a collectors edition. Unless you are of certain *specific* companies, that SCEA decides to let that slide for. I'm not sure if there are *special* deals being made or what. Though this game is hardly more than a year or two old now, they want a budget price. But this seems to only apply to companies like Playmore/SNK, it didn't apply to Sammy, who was allowed to supply full price for the lukewarm-received Guilty Gear: Izuka.

It's also probably why the plethora of recent top/side-scrolling shooters, for PS2, don't get released over here.

Last edited:

Shoe-A-Palooza

Kabuki Klasher
Tom said:

SSVS is to remain a Neo-Geo exclusive as was decided by SNK-P top brass.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
that sounds nice.
but a sam sho collection on gba would be nice actually.
similar to releasing all the metal sluts on gba.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
rarehero said:
that sounds nice.
but a sam sho collection on gba would be nice actually.
similar to releasing all the metal sluts on gba.

word

Martha Stewart

New Challenger
SNKP USA would be smart to make as many games for the GBA as they can. I would bet the moved more copies of Metal Slug Advance then they did MS4 and 5 bundle pack.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Martha Stewart said:
SNKP USA would be smart to make as many games for the GBA as they can. I would bet the moved more copies of Metal Slug Advance then they did MS4 and 5 bundle pack.

:spock:

Shoe-A-Palooza

Kabuki Klasher
Martha Stewart said:

The thing that sucks about MS4&5 for ps2 is that they're not in stereo like the cart versions are.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Shoe-A-Palooza said:
The thing that sucks about MS4&5 for ps2 is that they're not in stereo like the cart versions are.

Honestly, what difference does it make? If you played in a stuffed arcade chances are the audio would be mono from the cab unless you had earphones on. And why even concentrate on sound anyhow? It's Metal Slug! Run, Jump, Shoot, Slash, and blow things up!

Shoe-A-Palooza

Kabuki Klasher
KagerouSama said:
Honestly, what difference does it make? If you played in a stuffed arcade chances are the audio would be mono from the cab unless you had earphones on. And why even concentrate on sound anyhow? It's Metal Slug! Run, Jump, Shoot, Slash, and blow things up!

Nowadays you have games that support Dolby ProLogic 2 or 5.1, I don't think it's too much to ask for simple 2 channel stereo support.

The games have awesome music, and I want to hear that music as it was intended to be heard while playing the game in my living room.

setsuna.lee

World Soccer '96
having SSZ for gba would be sweet ( SP would be hot) but its more an utopia than anything else

even the xbox port who is REAL and planned for sept/oct/xx is delayed over n over again

imho I already dont give credit to snkp who officialy announce metal slug series on gba so why should I do for a "rumor" ?

anyway its been a long time we haven't see any snkp games on handled ( wait for CFC DS )

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
KagerouSama said:

But what if you are playing these games on your own cab? Just go over to hardmvs.com. 2-slot and 4-slot boards output stereo through the jamma harness. Stereo sounds nice on my 2-slot.

Besides, I feel that the sounds and music add something to the games they're attached too. Samurai shodown wouldn't feel the same without its (in my opinion) awesome and unique (not counting other samurai shodown games) soundtrack. The voice-work is great too.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
Jack Burton said:
But what if you are playing these games on your own cab? Just go over to hardmvs.com. 2-slot and 4-slot boards output stereo through the jamma harness. Stereo sounds nice on my 2-slot.

Besides, I feel that the sounds and music add something to the games they're attached too. Samurai shodown wouldn't feel the same without its (in my opinion) awesome and unique (not counting other samurai shodown games) soundtrack. The voice-work is great too.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.