Arcade stick or Joypad?

bUs

Zero's Secretary
Which one do you use for shooters, and why? I'm currently using a joypad, don't know which one is actually better, kinda like to chill in the sofa...

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Well i must say that i am more geared towards joypads these days...although used to be a joystick junkie!!,...but hey...i cannot play Ikaruga with a stick...i need a precise joypad....same with R-type final... a stick & i play badly!!...Although with the neo i need to use a stick!!...weird huh?...
Btw....battle garrega , radiant silvergun, kingdom grand prix...ALL my saturn shooters i use the pad....

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
It's the arcade stick all the way for me. I have two cabs so it's just what i'm used to, but I use a few sticks with all my consoles as well (Soul Caliber II and a HRAP), and It just feels better for me. I play better with a stick too.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
What type of sticks do you use ord?...recently just purchased an x-arcade & was totally unhappy with it :( ....(too much play in the stick )....anyway just sold it on ebay!!...good riddance!

bUs

Zero's Secretary
I never used a stick until I got one for my DC, and before that I though it would be a pain in the ass to use a stick when I was used to using a joypad... Anyway, I use my stick for the fighters, and don't ever want to use a joypad ever again for figthers! I guess it's a matter of getting used to... It's all about teh micro anyways :)

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Well shmups I don't care. Either Joysticks or pads are fine, but the joysticks
have to be Asian style, for some reason I dislike playing shmups with American
style joysticks, it just doesn't feel right.

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
NEO GOLD said:
What type of sticks do you use ord?...recently just purchased an x-arcade & was totally unhappy with it :( ....(too much play in the stick )....anyway just sold it on ebay!!...good riddance!
Well, my Soul Caliber II stick is from Hori, I also have a Japanese Tekken 5 Real Arcade Pro stick from Hori. The Stick is Sanwa and I've replaced the hori button for Sanwa ones.
My Horizontal cab has all Sanwa parts, while my vert cab has Seimetsu Sticks and Sanwa buttons. I find that they are a nice combo for shooters.

Shibusawa

Quiz Detective
I generally prefer sticks (currently use a SCII, just ordered a Neo Stick 2, really wan't a RAP :glee: ) but find that with some shmups (Ikaruga and RTF especially) a pad yields much better results.

Can't imagine playing something like Espgaluda without my stick though.

Ord, did you mod your SCII yourself or do you know of a place that offers such service for the technically incompetent ?

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
Shibusawa said:
Ord, did you mod your SCII yourself or do you know of a place that offers such service for the technically incompetent ?
Nah I didn't replace the buttons or stick on my SCII stick, and it was really my mate that did the Tekken 5 HRAP.
There are some excellent tips with the odd photo tutorials (I think) at Shoryuken.com
Check it out. :)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sticks are better for games in which you have to press more than one button at a time.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I use sticks for all of my games (not only shmups) if possible.

I have an ASCII psx stick for PSX, PS2, GC, PC and Xbox, and an Agetec stick for DC shmups, plus a Neo adaptor for DC.

My movements are 100x more accurate with a stick, and firing speed also is way higher. That's not important in games with auto-fire but not all shmups have it.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
A stick is better for the sweeping circular motions etc....

You could argue that the pad might be better for minute corrections, but it's not as strong an argument

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I use a neo stick in my supergun but still use a PS2 pad for PS2 shooters. I need an HRAP.

bUs

Zero's Secretary
Hmm, I've been using a NGCD pad for my NG shooters (and have to say it works pretty good but not perfect). Somehow it felt more natural for me to choose the pad from the beginning... The next time I play I will try with my old school stick for sure :multi_co: