any good shooters on MS Windows?

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've been looking long and hard to see if I could find a good example of a 2D shooter like DoDonPachi for Windows which isn't emulated. Since Windows can emulate them well enough, I would have thought it should natively be able to do even better. Can anyone point me to one?

Kiken

Camel Slug
zhulien said:
I've been looking long and hard to see if I could find a good example of a 2D shooter like DoDonPachi for Windows which isn't emulated. Since Windows can emulate them well enough, I would have thought it should natively be able to do even better. Can anyone point me to one?

You mean besides the Shrine Maiden series (Perfect Cherry Blossom, The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Imperishable Night)?

Personally I still prefer Kamui and Rally Raid to the Shrine Maiden series, but those aren't bullet-hell, so your mileage may vary.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
AH! I remember the name now!

Tyrian!

Me and my friend would waste hours and hours into that one.

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Kiken said:
You mean besides the Shrine Maiden series (Perfect Cherry Blossom, The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Imperishable Night)?

Personally I still prefer Kamui and Rally Raid to the Shrine Maiden series, but those aren't bullet-hell, so your mileage may vary.

I never heard of those games, definately will search them out. Actually I cannot find any decent shooters on Windows at all (which are not emulated).

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
i wish I could tell you more. There is a person I know, but I don't have his contact information (so I only meet him at anime conventions, and the like), who is the PC shooter expert. In fact, a while ago, he kind of gave up on console shooters because he claimed he found ones just as good, if not better, by fan-made PC programmers. Kind of like Melty Blood, but for shooters. He used to collect quite a few of them. Hopefully, I'll get to see him again and find out what he knows about this.

SSS

neo retired
Warning Forever is really freaking addictive. Have yet to get to stage 16 :blow_top:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
Warning Forever is really freaking addictive. Have yet to get to stage 16 :blow_top:

Farthest I've ever gotten was stage 18...Entire thing glows yellow...

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
There's quite a lot of shooters in himeyashop.com, can anyone recommend any of them? are they up to current console or arcade standards? (ie: no jerky scrolling etc)

DrGamer

n00b
I have quite a few of the PC Dojin SHUMPS...most from himeyla shop:
Here are a couple of the better ones:
valstar20shots.jpg
[/IMG]

Image2.jpg

Those are Valstar and Angeraze 2
Valstar is my favorite but he doesn't carry that one...good luck finding it :)

BTW...where can you get Warning Forever???

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I found Perfect Cherry Blossom, I'm impressed. Is it commercial or freeware? If commercial where can I get it from (original version) - note: I downloaded it from a normal freeware website (supposedly not a warez one). I checked out himeyashop.com but it doesn't seem to have any of them in stock, also it doesn't say whether they are commercial or not. Do they come in nice box with artwork etc? Is there any site that has actual reviews of some of these games?

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
zhulien said:
I found Perfect Cherry Blossom, I'm impressed. Is it commercial or freeware? If commercial where can I get it from (original version) - note: I downloaded it from a normal freeware website (supposedly not a warez one). I checked out himeyashop.com but it doesn't seem to have any of them in stock, also it doesn't say whether they are commercial or not. Do they come in nice box with artwork etc? Is there any site that has actual reviews of some of these games?

Its technically a commercial game (ZUN is an indie developer) . AFAIK the Shangai Alice games come only with a CD and manual. The manuals should have some artwork in them. Dunno of anyone else that sells them. You can download free demos of all the Shanghai Alice games from the official website here : http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/game.html

The demos have MIDI music, as opposed to WAV music that the full versions come with. I think the selectable gameplay modes are limited also. PoFV and I&MP demos have fewer selectable characters than the full versions as well.

Last edited:

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hentai Sama said:
Its technically a commercial game (ZUN is an indie developer) . AFAIK the Shangai Alice games come only with a CD and manual. The manuals should have some artwork in them. Dunno of anyone else that sells them. You can download free demos of all the Shanghai Alice games from the official website here : http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/game.html

The demos have MIDI music, as opposed to WAV music that the full versions come with. I think the selectable gameplay modes are limited also. PoFV demo has fewer selectable characters than the full version as well.

Ok, it's the demo I downloaded, I'm still impressed. I was actually playing it yesterday showing it to some friends and what was funny is that we were commenting how anyone could still make a game with such **** music in it. They could at least have put in some decent chiptune or something. We thanked got that we could turn off the **** music and enjoyed the rest of the game. I did try a few of their other games too, all had the same **** music. If I were them, I wouldn't put midi music even in a demo, it degrades the whole product in my view. However, it's nice to know the full version is better. Perhaps they should have done something different for the demo and made it play for example only 2 levels, but I guess they have their reasons. PFC definately is the best PC game I've ever seen (discounting games played through MAME).

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
zhulien said:
Ok, it's the demo I downloaded, I'm still impressed. I was actually playing it yesterday showing it to some friends and what was funny is that we were commenting how anyone could still make a game with such **** music in it. They could at least have put in some decent chiptune or something. We thanked got that we could turn off the **** music and enjoyed the rest of the game. I did try a few of their other games too, all had the same **** music. If I were them, I wouldn't put midi music even in a demo, it degrades the whole product in my view. However, it's nice to know the full version is better. Perhaps they should have done something different for the demo and made it play for example only 2 levels, but I guess they have their reasons. PFC definately is the best PC game I've ever seen (discounting games played through MAME).

Personally, I love the music in all the Shanghai Alice games (especially Immaterial & Missing Power), even the MIDI stuff. PFC is quite good, but I prefer Imperishable Night. To each their own.

sammaz

Quiz Detective
but how can i get these vertical shooters to play full screen on my neocandy 29?

they just play in 4:3 not 3:4 :angry:

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
sammaz said:
but how can i get these vertical shooters to play full screen on my neocandy 29?

they just play in 4:3 not 3:4 :angry:

Actually other than the horrible music, I think the lack of 3:4 mode is the it's biggest fault. It doesn't make it a bad game, but it's sad they didn't put the 3:4 mode in.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
noiz2sa is where its at.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Area 2048, Z-Lock, and Warning Forever are my favorites out of those free shooters. I wouldn't mind getting a full version on Valstar either. I wish I knew how to program games, these kinds of games allmost seem like they'd be pretty easy if you had the know-how.