New Power Instinct coming from Noise Factory

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
A long-time rumor is news again via Famitsu Magazine. A couple of years removed from Toukon ~Matrimelee~, Noise Factory is continuing the series with Bonnou Kaihou ('The Open of Carnal Desires'). It won't appear in arcade form this time, though, as it is being developed as a PS2 game. Watch for it at this Tokyo Game Show.

http://www.insertcredit.com/

Looking forward to it!

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
The screens in Famitsu looked like Matrimelee with a Groove on Fight character in it. Probably just going to be an upgraded Matrimelee (or downgraded :()

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
I was secretly hoping for an AW release, but any other arcade system would have been okay. :emb:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Hmkay said:
I was secretly hoping for an AW release, but any other arcade system would have been okay. :emb:

Makes me angry too. No arcade release is awfully scary.

Watch it just be an upgrade to Matrimelee with little to no effort put in.

:(:(:( I'll be at Tokyo Game Show this sunday, I'll look for it.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
I fixed the Japanese link.

> Transformation system makes its return!
> Online battle feature.

EDIT: According to this watch.impress article, "Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku ~Bon'nou Kaihou~" is scheduled for release on the PS2 in 2006, priced at 7140 yen. According to this gpara article, there will be 8 modes in all, some of which are:

Single mode
Versus mode
Online Versus mode
Training mode
Mission mode

The game is said to have 18 characters. Matrimelee had 14 normal characters, 4 hidden Rage of the Dragons characters, and the boss character, Princess Sissy -- 19 characters in all. I'm hoping like hell that the RotD characters will be removed from this version in order to make room for a few returning characters from the old games (primarily Italian hardbody-with-a-whip, Angela Belti (the only original cast member who didn't make it into Matrimelee)).

The text in both articles confirms that Hananokouji Kurara (aka, Clara [sic]), Gouketsuji Otane, Gouketsuji Oume, Ooyama Reiji, and Keith Wayne, will be in the game, and the first of the 2 screenshots would seem to indicate that Hattori Saizou and Annie (aka, Anny [sic]) Hamilton are in as well.

Is it just me, or do the 2 screenshots look like mock-ups to anyone else? I'll have to wait til I get home from work to look at my Gouketsuji Ichizoku 2 mook, but Saizo-turned-into-a-pig sprite and the Otane-in-youthful-maiden-mode sprite look an awful lot like they were ripped directly from GI2 and pasted into Matrimelee.

Additional EDIT: insertcredit hasn't exactly got a handle on the "kaihou" portion of "Bon'nou Kaihou." "Bon'nou" can be translated as "(worldly) desires; earthly desires; carnal desires; passions; lusts," while "kaihou" means "emancipation; liberations; a release; unleashing." So far, I haven't run across a more-common-but-differently-kanji'd Japanese phrase for which the "Bon'nou Kaihou" portion of the title might be a pun -- I was hoping a Matrimelee upgrade might have a kanji pun subtitle along the lines of "Toukon" (the normal kanji pair used to write "toukon" means fighting spirit; Noise replaced the "kon" (spirit; soul) kanji with the "kon" (marriage, matrimony) kanji to form the pun, and translated it into English as Matrimelee).

--Chris

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dash no Chris said:
> Transformation system makes its return!
YESSSSSS.

Probably too much to hope for that it makes its way to a domestic release, unless they decide to do an Xbox port.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
SouthtownKid said:
YESSSSSS.
I'm ecstatic to see the transformations making a comeback, too. :buttrock:

Looks like we know what was on the minds of the Gouketsuji fans who filled out the survey Noise Factory conducted over the summer (the questions were: 1. Which title in the Gouketsuji series (GI, GI2, Gouketsuji Gaiden, GROOVE ON FIGHT, Matrimelee) was your favorite? 2. Which game system in the Gouketsuji series was your favorite? 3. Is there something you'd like to see added to the game system? 4. Is there a piece of background music not included in Matrimelee that you'd like to hear a new arrangement of?).

--Chris

Recap

Zero's Secretary
Dash no Chris said:
Additional EDIT: insertcredit hasn't exactly got a handle on the "kaihou" portion of "Bon'nou Kaihou." "Bon'nou" can be translated as "(worldly) desires; earthly desires; carnal desires; passions; lusts," while "kaihou" means "emancipation; liberations; a release; unleashing." So far, I haven't run across a more-common-but-differently-kanji'd Japanese phrase for which the "Bon'nou Kaihou" portion of the title might be a pun -- I was hoping a Matrimelee upgrade might have a kanji pun subtitle along the lines of "Toukon" (the normal kanji pair used to write "toukon" means fighting spirit; Noise replaced the "kon" (spirit; soul) kanji with the "kon" (marriage, matrimony) kanji to form the pun, and translated it into English as Matrimelee).

--Chris

As the IC news poster and translator of the game name, let me tell you that, indeed, "Liberation of Carnal Desires" was indeed considered but I wanted to wait for the game logo in order to see if this is a gikun case, which seems likely. There's no need for a ' in Bonnou, btw.

Last edited:

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Im actually looking forward to this. I mean even if it is just an updated Matrimelee it will mean that the game will at least get a little more exposure correct. And in all honesty cant the PS2 handle the game?

Bottom line its just something for fans to at least be happy about.

Recap

Zero's Secretary
Graphics will be upscaled for a fake low-res presentation making of it a worse game than Toukon. There's not much to be happy here, actually.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
That's cool, I love Power Instinct series, kinda dissapointed that it will
not be arcade hardward, but at least happy that we're getting a new release.

Capt. Takehiko

Crossed Swords Squire
Dash no Chris said:
Is it just me, or do the 2 screenshots look like mock-ups to anyone else? I'll have to wait til I get home from work to look at my Gouketsuji Ichizoku 2 mook, but Saizo-turned-into-a-pig sprite and the Otane-in-youthful-maiden-mode sprite look an awful lot like they were ripped directly from GI2 and pasted into Matrimelee.

They definitely look like mock-ups to me and I'm hoping they are otherwise I get the feeling that this game will be a very lazy effort.

Still, any sequel is good news soley because there is one.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Got to play this and talk to one of the guys there at the Tokyo Game Show. The game was about 20 percent complete with 4 of the characters playable and most of the animations and flashy effects intact. There was one background.

From the conversation I had with the guy he said....

- It's pretty much Matrimelee but for the PS2 and online.

- Wouldn't comment on the Rage of the Dragons characters being in the game, seemed like a no.

- Very few new backgrounds if any.

- New characters are from the old Power Instinct games.

So far this looks like a release isn't the next Power Instinct game we were hoping for. I'm very dissapointed, but I'm still holding out hope that they'll add something cool and new in the game.

It played EXACTLY like Matrimelee, so atleast the game play will be good?? I'm trying to remain positive.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
Hentai Sama said:
Make Kirara a playable character please.

if it wasn't mentioned already, we get Super Clara and Kintaro so far...as well as the young Otane (though you already knew about her.)

@Jake: Sorry about yesterday. Lot of bad shit happened to me there. Details later.

Last edited:

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
ALL FUCKING RIGHT!!! YESSSS!! Finally! yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

(If you can't already tell fom my sig and AV I just love the game to death)

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
RBjakeSpecial said:
Got to play this and talk to one of the guys there at the Tokyo Game Show. The game was about 20 percent complete with 4 of the characters playable and most of the animations and flashy effects intact. There was one background.

From the conversation I had with the guy he said....

- It's pretty much Matrimelee but for the PS2 and online.

- Wouldn't comment on the Rage of the Dragons characters being in the game, seemed like a no.

- Very few new backgrounds if any.

- New characters are from the old Power Instinct games.

So far this looks like a release isn't the next Power Instinct game we were hoping for. I'm very dissapointed, but I'm still holding out hope that they'll add something cool and new in the game.

It played EXACTLY like Matrimelee, so atleast the game play will be good?? I'm trying to remain positive.
Even though a new game would be great, I'd still be satisfied with an updated Matrimelee that included transformations (which was the only thing that kind of kept Matrimelee from feeling like a true sequel) and a few more returning characters. At least a few more backgrounds would also be nice, though. And an Xbox port, since it's unlikely the US will get the game on PS2.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Not a noise factory fan..

The whole power instinct series SCREAMS SF2 clone. The best of those dumb ass SF2 clones would have to be fighters history dynamite, awesome playability also.

A shit series like Power Instinct gets two sequals.

Last edited: