samurai showdown 6 hit japanese arcades today!

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
wow!

first time ive laid eyes on the game in person due to snkp's apparent reluctance to loke test the game in osaka before its release.

what can i say, im mighty impressed!

as always the system could be broken, only with heaps of time spent on it and a couple of months in the arcades under its belt are we going to know how that side holds up...

BUT

1. presentation is excellent, from the in fight screen to the new effects (nice and subtle imo), from the character select screen to the art. it all looks very nice i found.

2. graphics are much better than i expected. except for a couple of exceptions the 3d bgs look very 2d. there is heaps of movement and the different locations around the world are excellent.

3. the new characters all look cool, earthquake is unless im mistaken almost totally redrawn, has a new stance and plays very differently to his previous incarnations (loved his svc version). genjuro might be an old sprite not sure. iroha and suguroku look nice!

4. the graphics are very sharp which surprised me... i thought after neowave, nbc and kof xi it wasnt really possible. suguroku and ukyo even look HIGHER rez than previous games, very clearly drawn. earthquake and sankuro look bout the same as ss5spc. nobody looked blurry ala NBC though.

5. pace felt nice, feels very very tight (even tighter than 5 or 5 spc which had problems with doing throws or heavy hits easily as 2 button moves occasionally wouldnt come out, very frustrating!), i was able to run about, do all my normals right away and dash throw with ease despite this being my first time to play the game. no adjustment period (as far as control is concerned) required!

anyways i am going to be updating this thread with impressions and stories like i did the nbc one over the coming weeks. ill be concentrating on genan, earthquake, charlotte, basara and maybe some haomaru, caffeine, seiger, etc!

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
How is Atmoswave handling BGM? Is it on cart OST style, or does it have more an AST quality?
With my luck the volume it turned down so low you haven't heard anything anyhow. :(

EDIT:
Or happen to have seen my question in the first place. :crying:

Last edited:

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
Yeah yeah, I expect people to jump on me to discuss about nothing but sprites again, but whatever.
And on a side note: no Beelze, I'm not about to try and make fun of you or bash you, so you don't have to worry. And thanks for the report. (When I've got nothing to bitch about, I don't)

beelzebubble said:
3. the new characters all look cool, earthquake is unless im mistaken almost totally redrawn, has a new stance and plays very differently to his previous incarnations (loved his svc version).
I wonder what Earthquake looks like. We've only had one screen of him which showed he had an edited SS2 sprite. However, the fact they didn't show anything else of him before the release may have meant he wasn't ready yet and that they were still working on him. That's what I'm hoping.

beelzebubble said:
genjuro might be an old sprite not sure.
All of the SS5/S characters still have the same sprites from what I've seen, except for Gaira who got an updated one, of course.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Hmkay said:
Yeah yeah, I expect people to jump on me to discuss about nothing but sprites again, but whatever.
And on a side note: no Beelze, I'm not about to try and make fun of you or bash you, so you don't have to worry. And thanks for the report. (When I've got nothing to bitch about, I don't)

I wonder what Earthquake looks like. We've only had one screen of him which showed he had an edited SS2 sprite. However, the fact they didn't show anything else of him before the release may have meant he wasn't ready yet and that they were still working on him. That's what I'm hoping.

All of the SS5/S characters still have the same sprites from what I've seen, except for Gaira who got an updated one, of course.

i dont know shit about sprites, i make a rough call and thats all it is, ill leave the final decisions and the arguing over sprites to the experts. no sarcasm intended!

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
glad to hear that your first impression was a good one. I can't wait to play that bad mamojamma. I wonder when it'll be out in the US?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
sounds pretty cool... time to make some phone calls to see if CTF is getting it in NYC...

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hmm, we prolly gonna get it at the southern golf course place wtf its called next to knotts berry farm. if anyone knows lmk.

i heard its gay though. no blood, very very happy etc. ill take pt3 thx.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
The only thing that looks like it would throw off a seasoned player is the joystick layout on the SSTenka site.

ABC
D_E

Seems like an awkward setup to adapt to after years of:
_BCD
A

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
The only thing that looks like it would throw off a seasoned player is the joystick layout on the SSTenka site.

ABC
D_E

Seems like an awkward setup to adapt to after years of:
_BCD
A

not after ss5 and ss5 spc though right?

both had the following layout:

ab
cd

a-lslash
b-mslash
c-kick
d-special movement

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
beelzebubble said:

ab
cd

a-lslash
b-mslash
c-kick
d-special movement

which was fucking disgusting.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
beelzebubble said:

ab
cd

a-lslash
b-mslash
c-kick
d-special movement

Shoot! V and VS used the diamond?
Was it far spread in use over the old setup?
Otherwise I'm setting myself up for an outdated setup for when I can get my hands on the game later next month.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
It's good to see Earthquake get a redraw, even if it is a slight one.

Gaira is bald this go around selling his SS0 ending.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
ForeverSublime said:
The background music.

I guess what I really wanted to know was the quality of the music used. I've only found three or four Atmoswaves around and every darn one of 'em are running either target practice or that special-ops type game--so I can't really tell from experience how well the machine handles Background music.

So...does Tenka sound like it's predecessors on cart format, or does it have the AST (Arranged Sound Track) quality you'd find on some ports and soundtrack compilations?

@ForeverSublime Hope it made more sense this time around.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I know. I just can't recall ever seeing the terms OST and AST used correctly before, and it drives me mad after a while. I made a thread about it 2-3 years ago I believe because the rampant misuse started to confuse me. Everything would be OST if it's the original score for the original game - whether it's on cart or not, regardless of quality. "Arranged" refers to an adaptation of the original score. So, instead of constructively making mention of that earlier I felt it was easier to bitch and moan and act all elitist like. Meh.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Thats fucking awesome news Beezle. Glad to hear it didnt suck.

I still say Kim Kaphwan and Kuroko are gonna be the 2 hidden characters.

NWC

n00b
I'll be looking for this! I hope it's been released around here. And I'm glad to hear that the sprites aren't blurry like NGBC's. They really are annoying.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
NWC said:
I'll be looking for this! I hope it's been released around here. And I'm glad to hear that the sprites aren't blurry like NGBC's. They really are annoying.

if you are ever down osaka way (umeda) and want an assbeating in NBC pm me :)

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
Wow, i didn't expect SS6 to be out so soon, I'm still hyped about NBC...
Looking forward to further impressions though.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Could it be possible that a AW is worth buying as a second gen Neo Geo finally? Thanks to SS6 it is getting to that point. Also the ports take so long that it just makes the wait unbearable. I still havn't gotten to see the Atomswave in person. I hear mixed things about it for certain games.