JAMMA switch anyone?

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
I'm probably not the first to think of this but I gotta start this thread. Does anyone out there know if I can add a switch to my JAMMA connector so I can run two motherboards in the cab. Other possibilitys are neo motherboard/dirty rombox etc. :chump: :chump:

UncaJJ

Mega Shock!!
There's an article on bob Roberts site that comes up every so often on KLOV... You need to have 2 power supplies for it... let me look for it...

EDIT: http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/buildit.html

Third paragraph down from the picture of the PDPT switches. Starts off with "Oh... before I run off..."

Last edited:

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
You can buy premade jamma switchers. I think they make 2 and 3 board switches. Keep in mind these aren't cheap, something like $150, but they work with only one psu. The problem is they keep power flowing to all boards even if you aren't playing them.

Run an ebay search.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
just change the game by hand...it's not that hard :rolleyes:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Im working on a project at the moment to get two boards (Galaxian and Gallag) running in a Taito cocktail.

With the use of a 2 way 6 pole switch

1.R
2.G
3.B
4.Sync
5.Speaker select (OK for grounded speaker boards like these otherwise you would require a 8 way switch)
6.Power control +5 (via a relay) the 12 volts could be connected to both boards simultaniously as the idle current of the audio output IC is relatively low.

The inputs should be OK wired in parallel.

Will let you know how it goes.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
ttooddddyy said:
Im working on a project at the moment to get two boards (Galaxian and Gallag) running in a Taito cocktail.

With the use of a 2 way 6 pole switch

1.R
2.G
3.B
4.Sync
5.Speaker select (OK for grounded speaker boards like these otherwise you would require a 8 way switch)
6.Power control +5 (via a relay) the 12 volts could be connected to both boards simultaniously as the idle current of the audio output IC is relatively low.

The inputs should be OK wired in parallel.

Will let you know how it goes.

This is exactly how I was wanting to do this, but people keep telling me that it wasn't possible. Let us know how it turns out!

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I see no reason why it would not work.

The 5 volt rail from a single psu is simply switched to the selected board via a relay.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
where I do see a limit, is the loading of the inputs (joysticks and switches)
imho two boards would be fine, several boards wired in parallel will lower the input impeadance which could cause the input buffers/inverters on the selected board to see a low state instead of high with the switches open.