A Space Invaders question

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Due to the discussion started on the handheld forum. I've been interested in various home ports or updates on the classic Space Invaders game. For those who've kept up with them, what would you consider your favorite home versions or conversions of these games?

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I cant remember what system it was now but i brought a game space invaders 2000 a few years ago and the only difference from the original was the backdrops that had planets and stars in it.... it was a load of shit

eight one

Igniz's Servent
If you have a PSP, get Space Invaders Pocket. It has every arcade version of Space Invaders from the 1978 variants up through Akkanvader (Spacer Inavaders '95). What cool is that they can played in tate mode!

The Taito Memories series also has Space Invaders games scattered through out the two discs.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Sounds great. Is that coming to the U.S. or is it import only? Doesn't matter either way considering it probably doesn't have region lockout.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
If you have a PS2, get the first part of Taito Memories and Space Invaders Anniversary.

Taito Memories has the real-color version and, for the first time ever (iirc), Space Invaders DX, as well as Majestic Twelve, a nice SI spin-off.

The Anniversary pack includes monochrome, color, cello, upright, part 2, 3D, 2P and more.

Both are value for money for a Space Invaders fan IMO.

Oh, and there's a limited edition of the Anniversary pack with a special table-top controller that looks like a miniature cocktail cab... very nice. Play Asia used to have some of them but they're sold out atm.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I have a PS2, but sadly it's not modded to play imports, and if I remember right, both of those haven't been selected for a US release.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
The one on turbo grafx is good. Space invaders '91 in genesis isn't bad either.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Kirk Foiden said:
I have a PS2, but sadly it's not modded to play imports, and if I remember right, both of those haven't been selected for a US release.

Well, you're definitely missing out a lot of excellent imports then, just think of all those Cave shmups that will never come out in the US or Europe.

Without the option to play imports I probably would have sold my PS2 a month after purchase, the domestic stuff alone doesn't cut it IMO.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
EDGE had a taito special this month and they showed pictures of the original grid drawings in a notebook for the alien sprites etc, shaded in pencil, it said underneath 'dont look on ebay' :kekeke:

they also mentioned having to design a microcontroller chip for the game was 'nearly as hard' as creating the game itself

I'll get me coat..

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
kernow said:
they also mentioned having to design a microcontroller chip for the game was 'nearly as hard' as creating the game itself

Yeah.

Games like Space Invaders had to be created out of nothing using clumsy and slow "coding stations" where you had to code in machine code/assembler or prioprietary compiler languages with awful ed-like line editors...

If you read Eugene Jarvis' and Larry DeMar's story about how they made Defender you can't believe that they actually completed the project, from what I've read it was a constant nightmare of crashing systems, blown eproms, broken boards and whatnot.

Mad props to those pioneers, man.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
The Anniversary pack includes monochrome, color, cello, upright, part 2, 3D, 2P and more.

Both are value for money for a Space Invaders fan IMO.

Oh, and there's a limited edition of the Anniversary pack with a special table-top controller that looks like a miniature cocktail cab... very nice. Play Asia used to have some of them but they're sold out atm.

Get the anv. edition.

But not the one with the controller! It is a piece of unusable junk. Yes it does look like the cocktail cab but even with the suction cups on the bottom its not heavy enough to stay put on a table or desk and does not fit comfortabley in your lap. You also place the standard PS2 controller inside of it so its not an actual controller just an empty case that has little pins inside that hit tthe X button and L&R on the control pad.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Terry330 said:
Get the anv. edition.

But not the one with the controller! It is a piece of unusable junk. Yes it does look like the cocktail cab but even with the suction cups on the bottom its not heavy enough to stay put on a table or desk and does not fit comfortabley in your lap. You also place the standard PS2 controller inside of it so its not an actual controller just an empty case that has little pins inside that hit tthe X button and L&R on the control pad.

Ugh, sounds terrible.

I saw some pics and already wondered about the standard ps2 pad in them, I thought it was meant for size comparison or something... didn't know that the "controller" is just a housing for a normal pad... :oh_no:

Well, yeah, it's probably best to stay far away from that then. Thanks for the heads up.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Space Invaders on the Saturn isn't to bad either.

You get all the different backgrounds and colors etc.

Still you might be better off with Taito Memorise,Kirk Foiden.

Heck or just wait on... the U.S release Taito Legends.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
My fave version of space invaders on the consoles would have to be on the pc engine....there's the original on there as well as a neat souped up version!! nice.
I do miss my original space invaders tabletop coin-op.. :crying:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I've got a Space Invaders compilation for the PS1 JPN.

It's got loads of different arcade versions of Space Invaders, I don't know the proper title of the game though.

A fiver if anyone wants it. :smirk: