Weird problem with Fight Fever MVS

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
I just bought a Fight Fever MVS cart and I am having a weird problem. It has two eproms with Viccom stickers on them, but I understand this is standard. Anyway here's the problem. When running the game in MVS mode (I have a Unibios 2.1) it will not register any button presses. It won't even let me change games with the select button. When I run it in AES mode though, everything works fine. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I have a friend with the standard bios and I'm going to try it on his system but I can't for a few days. Please help!

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
loopyeddie said:
I just bought a Fight Fever MVS cart and I am having a weird problem. It has two eproms with Viccom stickers on them, but I understand this is standard. Anyway here's the problem. When running the game in MVS mode (I have a Unibios 2.1) it will not register any button presses. It won't even let me change games with the select button. When I run it in AES mode though, everything works fine. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I have a friend with the standard bios and I'm going to try it on his system but I can't for a few days. Please help!

I have a friend with the standard bios and I'm going to try it on his system but I can't for a few days

That would be my suggestion..try it on a US Bios..

I have this cart but it's solid chipped(pretty sure)..I've never heard of the eproms with Viccom stickers on them..but then maybe something I missed ..(hmm)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Thats a strange problem for sure. I would also advise doing the crc game check and posting the numbers here, we can see from that alone if its a different version of not.

Raz

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Razoola said:
Thats a strange problem for sure. I would also advise doing the crc game check and posting the numbers here, we can see from that alone if its a different version of not.

Raz

Ok, here's what I get with the check:

Gamecart Check ID=0060

ROM Region: C56171B9 OK
ROM Bank 1: NOT USED
ROM Bank 2: NOT USED
ROM Bank 3: NOT USED

I can put of picture of the boards if that will help.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
chris1 said:
That would be my suggestion..try it on a US Bios..

I have this cart but it's solid chipped(pretty sure)..I've never heard of the eproms with Viccom stickers on them..but then maybe something I missed ..(hmm)

Can you check your to be sure? I'd really appreciate it.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
loopyeddie said:

Your welcome,anytime..

Yep,Solid Chipped..
I finally got my scanner to work with this computer..
:)
Not: this cart works fine with my 4 slot US mobo and Uni Bios Chip vers 1.2... 4 slot mobo

Fight Fever

FightFever.jpg

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Okay, I tried it on a 4 slot with a Euro bios and it wouldn't register button presses, just like on mine with the Unibios in arcade mode. Here are pics of my boards. The 1st board doesn't even look like chris1's. I don't know if it is normal, but there are all these little holes drilled through traces on the board too. Also, the case has those 2 holes under the sticker for link games link League Bowling and Riding Hero. Anyway, here's my pics:

ff1.jpg

ff2.jpg

ff3.jpg

ff4.jpg

Thanks for helping with this, hopefully with help from members here I can figure out if this cart is a bootleg or something.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Okay, this shit is getting weirder by the minute. Chris1 also has the board and his works fine. I compared our boards to the ROMs and I have strange results

On mine 060-c1, 060-c2, 060-c3, 060-m1, 060-p1, 060-p2, 060-s1, 060-v1, and 060-v2 are there and accounted for. On Chris1's though, he is missing 060-p1, and 060-p2, but has one chip instead. And if my eyes are seeing it right it says 050-p1.

So, mine doesn't work right, but it seems to have all its parts, and chris1's works right but is missing parts. I am at a loss.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
More new, yes I know I'm the only one participating in this discussion. The mobo I tested it on with the Euro bios actually had a Unibios (i thought it has a Euro, but it had been swapped). I put the Euro bios back in and it worked fine. It's got to be the UniBios then, right?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I am really not sure what is happening here at present. can you tell me, are you using the joystick ports on the MVS or are the controls wired to the JAMMA edge connector?

Its possibe there are 2 different versions of the game but I don't think that would explain the problem your having. You see the joystick reading is controlled by the bios and not the game, the game should be reading the ports already read by the game.

Also you mention the other pcb had a unibios also, can you confirm if the problem is happening on that MVS also with a unibios in and is not what version of the unibios is it.

Another posibility is the backupram in the MVS has someone gone bad and is messing up the controls so you could try clearing that.

Finally go into testmode after the controls are not working and see if they start working there? also can you get into the unibios cheat menues while the joystick isnt working for the game?

Raz

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Razoola said:
I am really not sure what is happening here at present. can you tell me, are you using the joystick ports on the MVS or are the controls wired to the JAMMA edge connector?

Its possibe there are 2 different versions of the game but I don't think that would explain the problem your having. You see the joystick reading is controlled by the bios and not the game, the game should be reading the ports already read by the game.

Also you mention the other pcb had a unibios also, can you confirm if the problem is happening on that MVS also with a unibios in and is not what version of the unibios is it.

Another posibility is the backupram in the MVS has someone gone bad and is messing up the controls so you could try clearing that.

Finally go into testmode after the controls are not working and see if they start working there? also can you get into the unibios cheat menues while the joystick isnt working for the game?

Raz

The controls are wired directly to the jamma edge connector.

As far as testing it here is a breakdown:

My cart on a 4 slot with Unibios 2.1 in arcade mode —No controls
My cart on a 4 slot with Unibios 2.1 in home mode —Controls work
My cart in a 6 slot with Unibios 2.1 in arcade mode —No controls
My cart in a 6 slot with unibios 2.1 in home mode —controls work
My cart in a 4 slot with original Euro bios —controls work
Chris1's cart in a 4 slot with Unibios 1.2 —controls work

This is what has been tested.

I tried clearing the backup on my 4 slot board and it didn't fix the problem.

When the game starts, 100 Meg Shock screen comes up first and if I press select during it, it will change carts. After that screen, the intro movie plays and I cannot press start to begin the game. Select will not change games either. If there is only one cart in though, select will insert coins. If I press start and select, the Unibios cheat menu does come up. If I go into test mode when the controls aren't working, they do seem to work there.

Thanks for working on this with me!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I'll have a look at this after the weekend once I'm home but I dont understand whats happening still. There are 2 versions of the game though so maybe the one chris has is different than yours. What CRC do you get chris with your cart in the crc check?

Also try the different regions in arcade mode to make sure thats not the problem with the unibios. Also make sure all the harddips are off (including freeplay) and see if that makes a difference.

Select inserting coins when there is only 1 game is totally normal.

From what you have said I take it that the problem is the start button is not allowing the game to start but you can insert coins? as for all the other buttons (joystick and fire buttons) you don't know about those because you cant start a game to test?

Raz

Last edited:

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Razoola said:
I'll have a look at this after the weekend once I'm home but I dont understand whats happening still. There are 2 versions of the game though so maybe the one chris has is different than yours. What CRC do you get chris with your cart in the crc check?

Also try the different regions in arcade mode to make sure thats not the problem with the unibios. Also make sure all the harddips are off (including freeplay) and see if that makes a difference.

Select inserting coins when there is only 1 game is totally normal.

From what you have said I take it that the problem is the start button is not allowing the game to start but you can insert coins? as for all the other buttons (joystick and fire buttons) you don't know about those because you cant start a game to test?

Raz

Yeah, everything you said is correct. It will not work in any region in Arcade mode. I'll go try with the dips off.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I think the problem is with the freeplay dip being on, can you confirm this?

Raz

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Razoola said:
I think the problem is with the freeplay dip being on, can you confirm this?

Raz
more info:

Me= Both the Candy Cab-Uni Bios 1.2 and Big Red US Bios are set to free play/dip #7 )
...................................................................................................
(((Chris1's cart in a 4 slot with Unibios 1.2 —controls work -in Us Arcade Mode))

.....................................................................................................
What CRC do you get chris with your cart in the crc check?

Also try the different regions

I will try to do this later today..(will take pic)...if not for sure tomorrow.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
more info:

Me= Both the Candy Cab-Uni Bios 1.2 and Big Red US Bios are set to free play/dip #7 )

I have a feeling this problem will affect the unibios 1.3 or later only though.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
loopyeddie said:
Yes, when freeplay is on, the controls no longer work for me.

I though so, I will look into this once Im home again.

Raz

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Candy Cab 4 Slot Uni Bios vers 1.2

Fight Fever MVS
Gamecart Check ..ID 0060
Rom Region : 2A104B50 NG
Bank Rom 0 Not Used
Bank Rom 1 Not Used
Bank Rom 2 Not Used
Bank Rom 3 Not Used

US Arcade.,Jap Arcade..Euro Arcade (Freeplay On) Controls all work.
US Console,Jap Console,Euro Console =Controls all work.
Cool thing about Euro Console is there is a Language select option..that I can chose Korean.

DSCF0001_0003.jpg

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Viccom was the original programmer for FF, so thats legal. It may have been 2 differne type of blank board runs, so 8 or 16 or 32 meg mask rOMS, which explains the different counts.

And lately, it seems that programming gets flaky when one doesnt follow the programming bible for the neo geo....

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Ok, I have fixed this problem and it will be in the next unibios release.

Raz