Monitor image backward?

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
I was looking at one of my cabs that has been sitting awhile because of a bad 25 " monitor. The monitor had a sticker on the back of it that said color tv. I have an old 25" set just hanging around so I took it apart and hooked up the tube to the monitor chassis and turnd it on. The image on the screen is backward. Is there a way to reverse the image?

Last edited:

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Swap the pairs of wires on the yoke. By that, I mean that there is a pair of wires for vertical and a pair for horizontal, just switch the 1 pair so that it's wires are opposite. It will then either be normal, or upside down, so just reverse wires until it's correct. Just be sure to not put the horizontal wires on the vertical connections ;)

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
The image is not upside down but it is like looking in a mirror. Are you talking about the red, blue ,green and red wires?

Last edited:

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
there should be a connector with 4 wires going from the control board to the big-ass picture tube. (it has nothing to do with the 5 or 6 wires going from the jamma board to the monitor.) Two wires are for horizontal, and two are for vertical. You need to switch the horizontal wires around (you'll probably need to cut the connector in half)

If you could post pictures of the tv/monitor control board, somebody with more monitor knowledge than I (like ttooddddyy) should be able to tell you which connector it is.

lill-c

Dodgeball Yakuza
Thanks guys I got it. It was the RED and BLUE wires needed to be switched. The conversion cab is up and running again. :buttrock:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
lill-c said:
The image is not upside down but it is like looking in a mirror. Are you talking about the red, blue ,green and red wires?

Switch the horizontal scan, usually blue and red (the vertical is usually green and yellow) but not always.

A good way to check if you have the correct coils with a multimeter

Horizontal (left right)- typically 1.5 to 2 ohms
Vertical (up down)- typically 25-50 ohms

Whatever you do NEVER mix up the two.

Below pic the scan plug has been cut and the vertical reversed, you need to do the same with the horizontal.
(as Rez said you could also do it on the yoke, but this method makes it easy to reverse for different boards in the same cab)
scanplug2.jpg

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
ttooddddyy said:
Switch the horizontal scan, usually blue and red (the vertical is usually green and yellow) but not always.

A good way to check if you have the correct coils with a multimeter

Horizontal (left right)- typically 1.5 to 2 ohms
Vertical (up down)- typically 25-50 ohms

Whatever you do NEVER mix up the two.

Below pic the scan plug has been cut and the vertical reversed, you need to do the same with the horizontal.
(as Rez said you could also do it on the yoke, but this method makes it easy to reverse for different boards in the same cab)

Any reason why you would not want to install a switch to do this mounted in the cab somwhere? That way you could just flip the switch depending on the game.

cheers,
-DT

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Would it be possible to swap the horizontal and vertical in a similar manner?

instead of:

horizontal 1--------horizontal 1
horizontal 2--------horizontal 2

vertical 1--------vertical 1
vertical 2--------vertical 2

this:
horizontal 1--------vertical 1
horizontal 2--------vertical 2

vertical 1--------horizontal 1
vertical 2--------horizontal 2

Maybe it would be impossible because of the frequency differences between vert. and horiz. If that worked it would be much easier than turning the monitor to play vertical games. Right now, I have to play Red Clash with the monitor on it's side.

cheers,
-DT

Last edited:

UncaJJ

Mega Shock!!
dogtoy said:
Would it be possible to reverse to swap the horizontal and vertical?

instead of:

horizontal 1--------horizontal 1
horizontal 2--------horizontal 2

vertical 1--------vertical 1
vertical 2--------vertical 2

this:
horizontal 1--------vertical 1
horizontal 2--------vertical 2

vertical 1--------horizontal 1
vertical 2--------horizontal 2

Maybe it would be impossible because of the frequency differences between vert. and horiz. If that worked it would be much easier than turning the monitor to play vertical games. Right now, I have to play Red Clash with the monitor on it's side.

cheers,
-DT

NO! NIEN! NYET!

From http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/yoke.html

Red & white are the horizontal winding & can be reversed if pic is mirrored & the same for the brown & gray wires which are the vertical winding, but no other color combination can be made without serious damage being done to the monitor in a split second.

Edit: Woohoo! No longer a timid newbie!! :buttrock:

Last edited:

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
UncaJJ said:
NO! NIEN! NYET!

From http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/yoke.html

Edit: Woohoo! No longer a timid newbie!! :buttrock:

Well I wasn't planning on cracking open my monitor and swapping connectors around willy-nilly :oh_no:

I'll just keep playing my vertical games laying on my side, then. It's better much for the posture than playing in a seated position anyway :kekeke:

cheers,
-DT

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Because of the different impeadances (resulting from the very different number of turns on the yoke) and different frequencies and amplitudes of the vert vs horizontal scans - swapping the two will only lead to smoke and grief. They can not be switched.