My Opinion about Battle Garegga

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
So,

With all the drama this game creates, I decided to simply buy it on Saturn and try it. Some days ago I bought it off ebay and thus I'm playing it for about 1 week now. Here are my statements:

-There still are, whatever people say, some WTF deaths due to unvisible bullets. I always play on Red Ball so I don't have this inconvenience anymore but I clearly understand those who play in normal mode, it's sometimes cruel to bite the dust thanks to a bullet coming point blank from a cloud of smoke. Red Ball mode greatly improves the pleasure and sight in the game.
S sorry hardcore fans but there obviously is a probleme graphics wise, even if it's made on purpose.

-The Rank system is a great enhancement in a shmup. Ok theorically it's ridiculous to avoid bonuses, stop firing non-stop or suiciding but after some hours spent and the controls right in hand, it's really enjoyable to try to avoid that goddamn rank system inflating. It's one of the most complex systems I've even seen in a shmup, really. Every action done, button pressed, bullet fired influences the rank system. Thanks shmups.com strategy guide anyway, it's really helpful in getting some infos and the guys doing it are just insane.

-Speaking about pleasure, plain and simple: At first sight, BG is a quite straight-forward shooting game, and thus the sunday players can greatly enjoy it, even if it's sometimes hard to see a thing, espacially when you play it in bad visual conditions like in daylight. Anyway, it's really enjyable game, even in 2-players games. On the other hand, those wanting to explore the rank and scoring system have dozens of settings to take into account. It's simply a great game for everybody, except those who simply don't like the aura or graphics.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Garegga's really amazing and breathtaking all at once; it takes while to really appreciate all its intricacies.

I still have yet to 1CC on Normal, it's such a fucking beast, but I love her.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
My second favorite shmup behind Batrider, you gotta love the AST on the saturn version. Plus all the other options added to the home port really make it worth picking up.

BIG

sony fanboy
I'll have to be the first to say that I friggin' HATE 'Garegga.

Invisible bullets (PCB),totally unfair and outright BS ranking system...meh.

B-

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
IMO Garegga is an incredible shooter. Incredible. I love the highly detailed, gritty and industrialised look of the game. The craft just look fantastic and the bosses are tremendous. I've actually NEVER had too many problems identifying the bullets, and it's very rarely that I die due to them.
Oh and the chinese version pcb has the orange bullet mode as standard. A hard, deep and utterly fantastic shooter. In my opinion mind.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
BIG said:

B-

Word.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
BIG said:

B-

Garegga is the most overrated piece of shit shooter ever.

I mean, I wasn't too keen on it when I initially played it, it didn't seem very fun and it was just so... blah. Then I found out about the rank system and I was appalled. I understand that a lot of games increase the difficulty when you're doing well on one life, but manipulating Garegga's rank system is just so.... retarded. Worrying about whether or not I'm firing too many bullets or picking up too many powerups, and trying to find the right places to kill myself just to lower rank.... what the fuck is that? And yes, I detest the "invisible" bullets too, what a stupid idea. "But it makes the game more realistic!" Yes, because there's so much realism in committing suicide to make things easier...

And some people actually think this is the best shooter ever made?? ROFL.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
That's why there are so many kinds of shooters. I personally hate Dimahoo and Kingdom Granprix whereas it's close to BG. But anyway, I really do understand your disgust for this game. The rank system is highly controversial actually, that's right. But I just wanted to say some words about that game because everyone has its own opinion about it.

Personal impressions are strange because in only a few weeks this came in my top 3 shooters besides Radiant and Mars Matrix.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Gameplay-wise I like Battle Garegga but not the ranking system.

Anyway, dunno what you mean with "drama", you either like BG or you don't, as simple as that.

Never heard of a Garegga hype until now... whatever...

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Takumaji said:
Anyway, dunno what you mean with "drama", you either like BG or you don't, as simple as that.

Never heard of a Garegga hype until now... whatever...

You never watch shmups.com forums don't you. BG is easily the most controversial shmup ever. You're simply not aware of this. ;)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I visit the shmups.com forums but not on a regular basis, I must have missed the BG drama then.

Who cares man... sure, the ranking system isn't all that great, but well, who said you can't have fun without 1cc'ing a game...

What about Bakraid, is that "controversial" as well?

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Garegga is not only much debated on shmups.com but in the whole shmup world I think. Anyway, Bakraid is a far more "straighter" game. It has far more visible bullets and it's more easy than Garegga so there's no drama about it. But it's a great game.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Well...i only just recently picked up Garegga...but i have to say it is a real gem, even though after my first game i only lasted around 5-mins or so!...the game moves at a fare old pace!...maybe one of the fastest shooters i have experienced.
Yes at first you wonder just what the hell hit you...but its the kind of shooter you have to REALLY concentrate on..& adjust yourself for, those darker coloured missles are the killer blow if you are not careful!!...at the moment on normal i can only get to the end of lev-3 boss...
At this moment in time i only play to survive...i have not even worked out the scoring strats yet...or ranking!

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
One of my complaints about Garegga is that a lot of the boss designs are kinda weak; I mean, there may be one or two of them that I stick out in my mind (like level 2's mini-plane that straps itself into a Legion of Doom-esque orbiting ship), but other than that they look boring.

edit: tak, I'd say Bakraid is universally loved :D

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
NEO GOLD said:
Well...i only just recently picked up Garegga...but i have to say it is a real gem, even though after my first game i only lasted around 5-mins or so!...the game moves at a fare old pace!...maybe one of the fastest shooters i have experienced.
Yes at first you wonder just what the hell hit you...but its the kind of shooter you have to REALLY concentrate on..& adjust yourself for, those darker coloured missles are the killer blow if you are not careful!!...at the moment on normal i can only get to the end of lev-3 boss...
At this moment in time i only play to survive...i have not even worked out the scoring strats yet...or ranking!

You're right, focus only on surviving for the moment. The Rank sytem will give you enough trouble later, just concentrate on surviving. Anyway, reaching end of level 3 whereas you don't care about limiting your rank increasing is pretty good pal. ;) I personnally reach stage 5 boss without this rank stuff.

@Lonesage: I find the bosses to be good enough. Stage 3 boss is weak for sure, I can't say the contrary but otherwise it's acceptable. Not awesome for sure though.

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
this is my favourite shooter, the only shmup i can pick and enjoy fully anyday of the week. have been playing it on and off (currently off) for few good years and has yet to 1cc. got pretty close everytime though, just couldn't pass the last boss (black heart mk. II or something). there's isn't much hype on this game either, it's only often mentioned within the shmup community that's all, unlike radiant silvergun.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
Hadou-gun!!!!!!!!

Wait until you guys see Ibara...

Granted, you can actually see the bullets this time.

BIG

sony fanboy
eight one said:
Wait until you guys see Ibara...

Granted, you can actually see the bullets this time.

Ibara is breath-taking,to say the very least.

Beautiful fucking game.

B-

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member

BIG

sony fanboy
Spike said:

Finally got a chance to play it at Whitey's yesterday...fucking incredible game.

This game is truly what 'Garegga should've been.

B-

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I need to move out to "Killa Cali".

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
BIG said:
Finally got a chance to play it at Whitey's yesterday...fucking incredible game.

This game is truly what 'Garegga should've been.

B-
Although I love Garegga, I have to completely agree with you on Ibara. It is stunning.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Ah yes. Probably a game I'll never see in a long time. (Just like Planet Harriers, which I never saw at all.)

Still, it looks nice in stills. Interesting cast of pretty villains, too. They kind of make me think they could be Angel's (from KOF) long lost cousins or something.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
The one debatable aspect of it is that the core gameplay system is indeed much like Garegga.