For Games.
20 Year Member
roker said:
I don't know why

but I Gaiden just seems more like old school Gradius

I've been playing this game non-stop for a few days now

I'm sure many of you have not had the chance to experience this

but I'm telling you, if you're a fan of the series, go check this out NOW

I will definitely have to check Gradius Gaiden out. I've been planning on getting Gradius V for awhile, but if Gaiden really is better then I must get both!!!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
That's what I always said - Gaiden > V.

IMO, etc.

Just played V again last night, and even tho I like it as a hori shmup, it sort of looses a bit of that Gradius flavor in later levels, and not only in terms of graphics or anything, it's more of a gameplay thing for me.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Gradius V is better than Gaiden, but Gaiden has some fantastic levels and bosses, the Moai stage is amazing!!

Have been playing Gradius Galaxies on the GBA lately, I cant get enough of Gradius and the Parodius games!! :buttrock:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
beh3moth said:
Gradius V is better than Gaiden, but Gaiden has some fantastic levels and bosses, the Moai stage is amazing!!

Have been playing Gradius Galaxies on the GBA lately, I cant get enough of Gradius and the Parodius games!! :buttrock:

Hell yeah, shmups are sweet! I kinda suck at them, but that doesn't stop me from playing!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
That's what I always said - Gaiden > V.

IMO, etc.

Just played V again last night, and even tho I like it as a hori shmup, it sort of looses a bit of that Gradius flavor in later levels, and not only in terms of graphics or anything, it's more of a gameplay thing for me.

the Salamander level is fantastic in V

I like V and all, but for some reason the gritty graphics of Gaiden just screams more retro done next gen (well . . . next gen for it's time :p ) then V did

they're both great games, but I'm feelin' Gaiden a lot more

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
weird you mention this, just a few days ago a friend of mine randomly told me the same thing about Gaiden being > V.

Gaiden does have that old-school Gradius look and feel, while V is more of a new-age Gradius, with a more mechanical and cold feel (except for that Salamander stage). I wonder how it would have turned out had Konami and not Treasure taken the reins...certainly would be missing that RSG boss vibe it had going.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I haven't put nearly as much time into Gaiden as GV yet. From what I have played of my copy though, GV is still more of a favorite. But I was honestly never a fan of the series until V came out. Then I started working backwards and appreciating the Gradius games more and more.

I'll definitely be putting some more time into Gaiden when I get it unboxed with all my other shit.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
What platform is Gradius Gaiden for? Sorry if this is a stupud question.

GAMEFAN

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
subcons said:
I haven't put nearly as much time into Gaiden as GV yet. From what I have played of my copy though, GV is still more of a favorite. But I was honestly never a fan of the series until V came out. Then I started working backwards and appreciating the Gradius games more and more.

I'll definitely be putting some more time into Gaiden when I get it unboxed with all my other shit.

don't feel bad

I only played Lifeforce extensively before Gradius V came out (I played the others but never spent that much time with them)

so besides that, I mostly worked backwards and felt Gaiden was a modernized version of all those old games while V was a rebirth

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I would say Gaiden is funner but V is more impressive, Gaiden is my favorite in the series.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Gradius certainly looks very impressive for a PS1 game but I just don't enjoy it all. I don't like any of Konami's shooter efforts; Parodius, Gradius, Salamander etc.. are all basically the same game with different graphics. The gameplay does not match the presentation imo.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
FOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! :kekeke:

Gradius is a sublime series!!

and Parodius, well I have pretty much every Parodius game on every format! fantastic! :mr_t:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I am just thankful for Konami making the greatest shooters till this day. I thought Gradius 5 was going to loose its 2dstyle and feel when I first heard of it. Then I found out that Treasure team was developing it just like for the others. Thats when I knew they didn't screw this game series up.

I really don't mind 3d graphics that are done in a 2d quality and plays like its 2d overall. Examples of these: Castlevania SOTN and Contra Shattered Soldier. Awesome games, just contra is hard as ass. I got lucky and beat it with 100% kills to get the best ending. It was a bitch.