PDA

View Full Version : KOF XBOX 2002/2003

Dizzy11523
08-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Did this come out? Ebgames says it dropped this week, but Gamespot says next week. Anyone see it?

"Macho Man" Butta Supremo
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
eb says next week too.

Kirk Foiden
08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
EB's been a little wonky with release dates, lately. The intended release date most likely was the end of the month. They did the same thing with Pump it Up (which EB had stated would release the same day), even though the main site, for a while now, has stated the release would be in stores August 1st.

galfordo
08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
SNKP delays the release of every single project the put their hands on, despite the fact that most of them are ancient games being released for modern hardware. I think they have 6 hour circle jerk marathons every day at their offices before getting started doing actual work.

ken_dong
08-25-2005, 08:27 AM
let's wait and see if this gets delayed again... :rolleyes:

Soniku
08-30-2005, 10:05 AM
According to ebgames.com it should be out today, yet they still have it listed under their "Coming Soon" games, and you can still pre-order it.

Gamestop.com has it listed as having come out yesterday, and you can order it, yet when I check to see the availability in my area, there aren't any and it says there won't be any coming in.

I bet it doesn't even effing exist...

Update: I just called my local Gamestop and they said that it ships today, should be out tomorrow, I should've figured that out by now... Although of course whenever they say that, you should give it an extra 3-5 days it seems... At least it seems to exist.

08-30-2005, 10:08 AM
According to ebgames.com it should be out today, yet they still have it listed under their "Coming Soon" games, and you can still pre-order it.

Gamestop.com has it listed as having come out yesterday, and you can order it, yet when I check to see the availability in my area, there aren't any and it says there won't be any coming in.

I bet it doesn't even effing exist...

Update: I just called my local Gamestop and they said that it ships today, should be out tomorrow, I should've figured that out by now... Although of course whenever they say that, you should give it an extra 3-5 days it seems... At least it seems to exist.

Usually the ship date isn't the release date. But it is interesting that Gamestop says it shipped yesterday. Did you try calling any stores and asking if they have it?

Kirk Foiden
08-30-2005, 10:11 AM
It's probably too early for it. If it shipped yesterday, I doubt I would see any pop up before maybe 2-3 PM EST. It also depends on the whole (how did they ship it) deal. My guess is that it'll arrive at the same time Pump it Up does, since they are sort of shipping at the same time.

taitai
08-30-2005, 10:12 AM
SNKP delays the release of every single project the put their hands on, despite the fact that most of them are ancient games being released for modern hardware. I think they have 6 hour circle jerk marathons every day at their offices before getting started doing actual work.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/1999/19991103l.jpg

kiun
08-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Definitely getting this game for some Xbox live KOF 02 action. I hope bestbuy stocks them as my local gamestops aren't getting any.

thatdemoguy
08-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Per my distributors listing I have it slated as being available for order tomorrow which means it should be in stores either that day or the following day and should be available in my thread come maybe Friday. I am ordering anywhere between 4-6 copies I will let everyone know.

08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
I hope bestbuy stocks them as my local gamestops aren't getting any.

That's weird. Usually they'd get at least a few copies.

I bet kiun is a murderkiller in KoF02.

Dizzy11523
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
GAMESTOP told me they'll have it tomorrow. They better as I traded in my PS2 version for this! :mad:

Dizzy11523
08-30-2005, 01:39 PM
* Exclusive bonus game system and characters for the Xbox :eek_2:

EX_Andy
08-30-2005, 06:02 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

"THE KING OF FIGHTERS 02/03 Combo" Ships for Xbox

Frenzied Xbox Live® Fighting for SNK Fans

WALL, NJ. - August 30, 2005 - SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION, the US publishing arm of the SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION, announced today that they have shipped -THE KING OF FIGHTERS 02/03 Combo for the Xbox® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. THE KING OF FIGHTERS 02/03 is the ultimate two-in-one pack of extreme 2D fighting on two DVDs. THE KING OF FIGHTERS 02/03 Combo will feature Xbox Live® head-to-head fighting with KOF 2003 also supporting Tournament mode and rematch capabilities.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS 02/03 Combo will be supported by a comprehensive marketing campaign that includes extensive print and online advertising, a multi-faceted public relations outreach including press tours and a New York media kick off event, promotion through SNK arcade units and direct mail, and email to SNK's growing list of fans.

About THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2003
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2003 marked the beginning of a new epic saga in the KOF series. KOF 2003 also introduced SNK's now popular "Multi-Shift System" which allows for the free substitution of any team member during battle.

KOF 2003 features:
" 8th episode of the franchise
" A total of 35 characters yielding 11 of the most dangerous 2D fighting teams ever assembled plus hidden boss characters.
" Introducing 10 beautifully rendered 3D battle stages
" Features the new "Multi-Shift" system, allowing the free substitution of teammates during battles.
" Select your team leader with the new "Tactical Leader System"
" Learn the combo moves for your favorite fighters and unleash massive attacks
" Xbox Live support featuring head-to-head fighting, Tournament Mode and instant rematch capabilities.

About THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002
This "Collection of Highlights" brings together famous characters from KOF 1999, 2000, & 2001and the exciting fighting systems which have made THE KING OF FIGHTERS the ultimate in 2D fighting. All of the great fighting teams are included, like the Fatal Fury Team featuring Terry and Andy Bogard, or the beautiful Mai from the Woman Fighters Team, and many more.

KOF 2002 features:
" A total of 44 characters from KOF 96 through KOF 2001 available for the first time in one arena
" Thirteen extreme 2D fighting teams with 5 bonus characters
" Revives the extremely popular 3 on 3 battle format
" Upgraded Max-On Power System
" Over-the-top Super Special Moves to cause extreme damage
" Xbox Live head-to-head fighting

About SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION
Over the past 15 years, SNK has published classic arcade titles such as THE KING OF FIGHTERS, BASEBALL STARS, METAL SLUG, SAMURAI SHODOWN, and FATAL FURY on a wide variety of home gaming and handhelds systems. In June 2003, SNK opened SNK NEOGEO USA CONSUMER CORPORATION in Wall, New Jersey to again publish arcade classics on the current home and portable gaming systems. The company changed its name to SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION in the Fall of 2004. You can find more information about SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION games at http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com

# # #

THE KING OF FIGHTERS is a registered trademark of SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION.

Xbox is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

VinylBoy
08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
let's wait and see if this gets delayed again... :rolleyes:

It shouldn't considering that the guys from Playmore donated a bunch of them for the KOF 2003 tournament during last week's NY-T event at Yellow Rat Bastard. From what I saw on Saturday, the game is definitely finished and ready to ship.

MilkManX
08-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Eb has changed the ship date to 8/31 now.

Probably to avoind paying for overnight shipping on a non must have game. Lame.

08-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Eb has changed the ship date to 8/31 now.

Noticed that.

Although Gamestop still says it shipped 8/29

MilkManX
08-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Gamesop also lists the game as ready to ship in 24 hours. I am gonna call my local one later today and check.

Soniku
08-31-2005, 10:58 AM
I just called the Gamestop near me, they said they have it in, but considering the guy's tone and how he didnt' check for the game (when I mention an obscure game, they usually check), somehow I don't believe him...

I'll go there either today or tomorrow, even though their website lists it as not being in yet.

Dizzy11523
08-31-2005, 11:18 AM
whats the source?

it might be a typo? sfac & cfj booklets say d\l new moves & chacters but we havnt gotten anything yet!

Saw that in the game description at Gamestop.com...if not there then ebgames.com.

Kaioh
08-31-2005, 11:52 AM
I just called the Gamestop near me, they said they have it in, but considering the guy's tone and how he didnt' check for the game (when I mention an obscure game, they usually check), somehow I don't believe him...

I'll go there either today or tomorrow, even though their website lists it as not being in yet.

Yeah be careful about that. Had 2 Gamestops tell me they had Kof'02/'03 on PS2 when it came out. Drove an hour to get there, and both only had Maximum Impact. "Oh, isn't that the same thing?" the dumbass asked...

Dizzy11523
08-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Mines not here yet. They said since it was a "C" title, it will be in late, Friday the latest. :oh_no:

MilkManX
08-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Called both Gamestop and EB and they said it should be in Thursday. :(

MilkManX
08-31-2005, 02:54 PM
TOYS R US has it!

Call your local TRU.

I think I am gonna hit that after work!

Dizzy11523
08-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Dam...TRU is outta the way for me.... plus I traded in like 4 games to get this.

08-31-2005, 03:33 PM
TOYS R US has it!

Call your local TRU.

I think I am gonna hit that after work!

Is it cheaper than $39.99?

I think I'm gonna wait for Fry's and save a few bucks.

JHendrix
08-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Remember that when you get the game and get online be sure to post in this thread (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82742&goto=lastpost) to set up matches with people here.

Amix
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm going to be trying all my local stores after work.

My gamertag is Zaireeka.

I'm not so good at 02 or 03, but hey, if you need someone to beat up on. :kekeke:

Amix
08-31-2005, 05:21 PM
No one has this game. :very_ang:

VinylBoy
08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
No one has this game. :very_ang:

I have it... but I have to get a new X-Box in order to play it.

JHendrix
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
HORY CRAP!

Things changed, a bit.

The games aren't really laggy.

Kim is way different. Get close up and do the D kienzan, it won't lift them off the ground.

Better balance, but way different.

This is only 2k2, haven't tried 2k3 yet.

FeelGood
08-31-2005, 06:53 PM
seems like gamestop or toys r us is your best bet at $40? or you can wait til friday or so and get it at frys for $30. i asked them today and they said no stock and no release date was in their system.

so they changed the game? did they take out the infinites/exploites/cheese?

08-31-2005, 07:04 PM
seems like gamestop or toys r us is your best bet at $40? or you can wait til friday or so and get it at frys for $30. i asked them today and they said no stock and no release date was in their system.

I called them today and it was in their system, just didn't know when they were getting it.

But they had MS4/5 for $34.99 a couple weeks ago on a Friday, so hopefully they'll have this.

Jedah Doma
09-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Yea, I finally gave up around 5. The fact of the matter is, most places could care less if you want some little SNK title. I called the customer care line and let them know what BS it was to have the game shown as being out on a date (the day after the date on the website as it always is) and then not having it in. I asked if he knew why it was delayed, and he said he had no idea. I ask to speak to someone else, but he said he would send an e-mail letting someone know about the complaint. Yep, I know, it accomplished nothing, and even if he did e-mail someone above him, they will promptly use it to wipe their ass with. Oh well.

Kirk Foiden
09-01-2005, 07:24 AM
I've played the games a decent bit, last night (got mine at Gamestop).

Overall, it's a very good port of the two. 2k2's controls were definitely fixed up, for this port. It actually handles a lot closer to the Dreamcast's handling, on the game. It doesn't have the stiffness nor the difficulty of pulling off moves like the PS2 version did. Of course, certain characters that have a bit of tricky combinations, to pull off, still have them in the same places (eg. Kim's 3x qcb+p manuevers). However, my good test for the controls usually lies with a well controlled Angel, who's intentional combinations and supers do require steady precision. I'm happy to say that she's still got it, and for some reason, she feels a bit more improved, in this version; but I can't put a finger on it on whether it's just practice or something else. I also like that they stuck with Dreamcast's high score list, style. SNK also did a nice job allowing users to reconfig the controls. What's odd (for both games) is that it allows you to set up controls for all 4 controller ports. Interesting. I wonder what that's used for? Another major thing I would add, especially if you're used to the DC version. The A.I. was definitely kicked up a notch or two, by default, for this version. They fight better now, but perhaps some of that is due to a possible A.I. update to compensate for the new fighters. I haven't played enough to test that theory out.

KOF 2003 is pretty much the same as the other port, so far. Same, easy controls, and fast pace. The only difference is that I think the 3d backgrounds were slightly touched up, in the Xbox port. The performance is still great, though, with a very smooth frame rate for the backgrounds. However, perhaps it is me, but the backgrounds look a tiny hint darker, this time around. They do look detailed, and seem rich in color (especially in some backgrounds during later times of day), but I think the brightness of them was a tad higher in the PS2 versions.

MilkManX
09-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Man this is awesome.

KOF 2k2 feels awesome. I had a hard time with the moves on the PS2 port. This feels alot closer to the MVS that I use to have.

My only complaint is the online in 2k2 has the same options as SVC Chaos. No rematch unless you make a lobby and if you make a lobby you cant invite people. How stupid is that. Other than that this is boss.

KOF 2k3 is sweet too. I prefer the 2d backdrops on both games myself.

09-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Fry's has it now, but it's $39.99.

I'm gonna wait until tomorrow's ad to see if it's on sale.

Dizzy11523
09-01-2005, 01:01 PM
The rematch works on 2K3 don't it? How wack that it dont work on 2K2, didn't they learn anything from SvC?

Dizzy11523
09-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Genoitz
Geese
King
Shingo

are secret characters in 2002? That's what I heard. Did everyone else already know that? If so, how do you unlock them?

Kirk Foiden
09-01-2005, 03:34 PM
If I remember right, they are unlocked via the Challenge menu, in 2k2. You do those challenges, like the Time Attack and such, and as you complete them, you get a character unlock for your trouble. Good luck.

DarkHuman
09-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Darkscruffybere is my xbl tag. USE IT NOW! :buttrock:

Mark of the Wolves
09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Genoitz
Geese
King
Shingo

are secret characters in 2002? That's what I heard. Did everyone else already know that? If so, how do you unlock them?

All you have to do is complete the different Challenges. Then on the select screen you hold R over certain characters.

Genoitz - Rugal
Geese - Billy
King - Beat Team Attack (I think)
Shingo - Beat Single Attack (I think)
Kusanagi - Kyo - T
Blood Riot Iori - Iori

For the Time Attack you unlock people after a certain beat I don't remember the order.

NOTE: Spam Rugal's Tiger Wave to easily do all those.

djbomberman
09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
i heard 1st of Sep from gamestop then 30th of Aug fnom EB...

Hey you stole my avatar! What the!! :blow_top:

Alex Neuco
09-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I own 2k2 on Dreamcast and have yet to sit down and thoroughly play 2k3. I might get this, even though a certain member here advised me not to. :D

Mark of the Wolves
09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
ill change mine av..... =(

where are the bonus system & chacters only for the xbox?

There aren't any...well besides Xbox Live play.

RamonG
09-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Genoitz
Geese
King
Shingo

I just got the game, and I don't know how to unlock them for offline play, but when you play xbox live and allow all characters, you can use all of them.

Lashujin
09-03-2005, 03:59 PM
!!!!

I think they adjusted the grab priority in 2k3 so you can't spam them like before!

Not sure yet, will get online tonight (hopefully)

Jedah Doma
09-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Yep, if anyone wants a game of KOF 2002 or 2003, add me to your friends list. I'll be on tonight.

GT: Jedah Doma

BTW: I haven't seen anyone from the boards on there as of late. Hopefully we'll get some games going on in the future.

NGCDFreak
09-04-2005, 12:17 AM
I got it on Thursday I would like to play someone at NG.com
on any of these titles online.
LMK if your intrested thanks.

Soniku
09-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I got the game on the 31st, and haven't really had much time to play it (kinda wish I played MI more too). From what I've seen, the port is just about perfect, but can at times feel like it each game was ported by a different developer. Not that it's important, but there's a few strange differences between the two. For one, in KoF2k2, you have to use A to select a character with it's default costume characters, while in KoF2k3, you have to use X (which is usually the standard). For some reason, KoF2k2 has it's arcade mode entitled "Local Mode," while 2k3 calls it "Arcade Mode." If I'm not mistaken, 2k3 has a new AST, while 2k2 was left the same.

I haven't played online yet, but I also heard that 2k2 is set up like SvC so you can't have rematches, while 2k3 fixes that.

The 3-d backgrounds aren't as bad as they usually are, a few of them are pretty cool, but if you don't like them, you can turn them off at least in the graphical options.

There's also a gallery mode in which I unlocked one image, and then lost it, I guess I didn't have auto save on, but I don't even know how I unlocked it since I hadn't even beaten the game or really done anything... Gotta figure that one out since I've beaten 2k3 twice since, and I haven't unlocked a damn thing.

Overall from what I've seen, it seems to be worth the $40.00 and is an almost pixel-perfect port. (Don't give me the crap about the original and the XBOX versions running in two different resolutions, I don't care and neither should you.)

My LIVE tag is in my signature, I'll probably be online some time tonight if anyone wants to play (all of the WoW I've played has made me suck at all other games, just a warning).

MilkManX
09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
I would have to say I am very happy with this set.

You get KOF 2k2 which is one of my favorites with King and Shingo. Also online play.

Then you get 2k3 which I hadnt really played yet. So far I am liking it alot. Its no 2k2 IMO but its fun and the network code is awesome.

I would rate the network code like this.

1.)KOF 2k3(OMG a rematch option!)

2,)SFAC

3.)KOF 2k2(has SVC interface but not the lag)

4.)CVS2

5.)DOA

999999998.)SVC

999999999.)Guilty Gear X2#Reload

Easily worth the 40 clams.

What is everyones opinion of the 3d BGs? Some are okay. The ones in 2k2 are kinda strange because they literally look identical whereas 2k3 they almost redesigned them completley.

venom x
09-08-2005, 01:18 AM
I just ordered this tonight from gamestop.com for only $29.99 new (pretty sweet deal for anyone who hasn't bought it yet). I'll be playing online once I can get enough money together to pay for xbox live.

FeelGood
09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
the BGs in 2k2 are not completely 3D (2k3 they are i believe).

2k2 seems to have taken the original 2D BGs and updated them with some 3D touches. the outdoor stay with the lightning, for example, has 3D bushes shaking in the wind. the flowing banners on some stages are also 3D.

the few BGs i saw in 2k3 looked pretty bad imho.

Mr.Nemoperson
09-08-2005, 05:04 PM
the BGs in 2k2 are not completely 3D (2k3 they are i believe).

2k2 seems to have taken the original 2D BGs and updated them with some 3D touches. the outdoor stay with the lightning, for example, has 3D bushes shaking in the wind. the flowing banners on some stages are also 3D.

the few BGs i saw in 2k3 looked pretty bad imho.

The new 2k2 BG also have a greater sense of depth to them. Unfortunately it also makes all the sprites in the backgrounds smaller and more pixelated :(

Alex Neuco
09-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know if King is in the Xbox 2k2, unlockable or otherwise?

SouthtownKid
09-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Does anyone know if King is in the Xbox 2k2, unlockable or otherwise?yes.

Alex Neuco
09-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Ok, just checked gamefaqs, thanks.