Looking for info on a game called "diggerman"

FLADIPO

Banned
Hey guys...had a quick question - anyone ever heard of a game called "Diggerman" for the neo geo...what is it and when did it come out? Who has the rights to it and who made the game....The reason why i ask is that i recently bought some mvs games of a man here in san diego who says he has been distributing games and runs an arcade route for the last 30 years. He said he purchased the board from snk which allows you to create games with their software. He said he made diggerman yet never paid SNK for the rights and entered a publishing agreement and somewhere along the line someone else picked up the rights. Anyways he said sometime within the next couple weeks i can go back and he will give me a prototype copy??? said i can have it and do what i want with it. This guy is very intelligent and knows his shit when explaining the background of snk...He is like 50 years old - do i believe him...Whats the story with this game?

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
welcome to the boards!

this is the "news and rumors" section though.. better off posting in the next forum down the "general" one.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
NGF made some counterfeit copies of this and also made a fake 'release'.

The game is rubbish and should be avoided.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I believe it was the guys from thegameroom.com that made this game, which is a port of their Dangerous Dungeons game (on Double Dragon's hardware). There was a lot of confusion about this game because it had an NGH number from an existing game (Galaxy Fight? I forget which one), and was also using some graphics from Money Puzzle (or was it MDrop 2/3). In either case, it was not a FACE game as some claim, but a homebrew attempt at a commercial game. I believe Vektorlogic bought the rights to the game and distributes it.

Jeff

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
JMKurtz said:
I believe it was the guys from thegameroom.com that made this game, which is a port of their Dangerous Dungeons game (on Double Dragon's hardware). There was a lot of confusion about this game because it had an NGH number from an existing game (Galaxy Fight? I forget which one), and was also using some graphics from Money Puzzle (or was it MDrop 2/3). In either case, it was not a FACE game as some claim, but a homebrew attempt at a commercial game. I believe Vektorlogic bought the rights to the game and distributes it.

Jeff

It has some graphics and sounds from Gururin and not Money Puzzle Exchanger or Magicial Drop 2 or 3. Actually, you would be insulting the other games if you believe they have anything to do with Diggerman. Money Puzzle Exchanger and Zupapa! or much better face games than Gururin or Diggerman. Diggerman is supposed to be in the same storyline as Gururin. I am not sure if Diggerman is made by Face or not but I do know that NGF released Diggerman on home cartridge a number of years ago. I have seen the game in action but I have never played it. The graphics look terrible and the game was never finished. It has no Neo Geo logo boot up screen. I really don't think that it was ever supposed to be put on the Neo Geo hardware but was for some reason.

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Makismo said:
It has some graphics and sounds from Gururin and not Money Puzzle Exchanger or Magicial Drop 2 or 3. Actually, you would be insulting the other games if you believe they have anything to do with Diggerman. Money Puzzle Exchanger and Zupapa! or much better face games than Gururin or Diggerman. Diggerman is supposed to be in the same storyline as Gururin. I am not sure if Diggerman is made by Face or not but I do know that NGF released Diggerman on home cartridge a number of years ago. I have seen the game in action but I have never played it. The graphics look terrible and the game was never finished. It has no Neo Geo logo boot up screen. I really don't think that it was ever supposed to be put on the Neo Geo hardware but was for some reason.

The only thing Diggerman had to do with FACE is the fact that the original programmer ripped off sprites and sounds from a FACE production, nothing else. And, there is no way a story line could connect Gururin with Diggerman. Gururin is a tedious puzzler that is mediocre at best, while Diggerman is a poorly designed (still in the early stages of hacking/programming) BoulderDash rip off.

FLADIPO

Banned
thanks

thanks everyone! so this guy may have just been pulling my leg about creating this game...any other good info?

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
FLADIPO said:
thanks everyone! so this guy may have just been pulling my leg about creating this game...any other good info?

To be honest, who knows. Digger Man was made in the US, and I do not remember all of the details surrounding it. It seems to me that the distributor who was dealing with it at the time was having legal issues, but I could be wrong.

As far as anyone in the US having a Neo Geo Dev kit, anything is possible.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Diggerman is really crappy.

Doesn't belong on the NeoGeo, it should just be considered an accident, like a car wreck on the highway. Sure it's there, but you don't WANT it to be there.

Diggerman....

Well - this is the actual truth about the game.

Diggerman was a rework of Dangerous Dungeons, coded by Kyle Hodgetts (Australian by origin but done quite a bit of work in the US - often with some of the work done by others - see Egg Venture!)

The neo base system was hacked by Kyle (who is a good assembler programmer) and part of the DD code was ported. Traditionally Kyle will do some work and get paid and then the job rarely is completed - hence the port was not completed. The PCB that was produced by Kyle and subsequently Ken at The Game Room, took the original data lines and reversed some of the data bits on the main board, or it may have been addressing lines, I forget which but I still have many of the original PCBs lying somewhere around the house.

I didn't buy any rights to the game, but took PCBs and code in lieu of ...... well, go figure. Yes the game is crap and is not complete, but is probably the first of the 'homebrew' style of games. Oh and you may note that the sounds on Diggerman are 'very' reminiscent of a certain Visco game - pdpr

So - that's the truth on the game. I was in LA a few years ago when I was informed that a certain bunch of individuals had taken samples of DM and produced copies of it - but I can't quite remember who they were.................

10c

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Vektorlogic Ltd said:
Well - this is the actual truth about the game.

Diggerman was a rework of Dangerous Dungeons, coded by Kyle Hodgetts (Australian by origin but done quite a bit of work in the US - often with some of the work done by others - see Egg Venture!)

The neo base system was hacked by Kyle (who is a good assembler programmer) and part of the DD code was ported. Traditionally Kyle will do some work and get paid and then the job rarely is completed - hence the port was not completed. The PCB that was produced by Kyle and subsequently Ken at The Game Room, took the original data lines and reversed some of the data bits on the main board, or it may have been addressing lines, I forget which but I still have many of the original PCBs lying somewhere around the house.

I didn't buy any rights to the game, but took PCBs and code in lieu of ...... well, go figure. Yes the game is crap and is not complete, but is probably the first of the 'homebrew' style of games. Oh and you may note that the sounds on Diggerman are 'very' reminiscent of a certain Visco game - pdpr

So - that's the truth on the game. I was in LA a few years ago when I was informed that a certain bunch of individuals had taken samples of DM and produced copies of it - but I can't quite remember who they were.................

10c

Was there ever a "completed" version of this game? I had it and remember onlyt getting to level 7 or 8 (The level is 1 gem short of the amount you need to open the doorway to the next level.)

Phillip

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Hey Jeff F. - good to hear from you :)

How's that next game coming along? I'm ready to buy it!

Jeff K.