Bootleg KoF aniversary game

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
So, I was rather shocked to see a new KoF game in my local arcade (Tilt, Olympia, WA). At first I figured it must be Neo Wave, but the lack of a fifth button said otherwise. The manager said it was a bootleg version KoF '05, but he's a fool when it comes to KoF. Playing one game told me that the game was just another dumb Korean knockoff. It's title was "KoF Aniversary Collection", or something like that. They ripped the KoF 10th year aniversary picture that we've been seeing in KoF games and on the website, and used it for the title screen.

The game has more characters than any before it. Nearly every KoF character imaginable and of course plenty of duplicates. The Terry I chose to play with had his old and new moves. I only played one game, but it seems KoF 2k3 was the only game shafted. Backgrounds have been lifted from everywhere, and according to the manager even from SVC Chaos. Rugal is the mid boss and final boss. I couldn't beat him as the mid boss.

The shame is of course that the manager doesn't know enough about KoF to realize Playmore didn't make this game. He even wrote an angry but polite letter to playmore telling them to stop making such unbalanced crumby games. I was able to explain to him that Playmore had nothing to do with this game, but the fact that I needed to is a sad realization that crappy bootleg knock-offs are doing more than just hurting sales; they are defacing the KoF name!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Any sign of krauser? Hell, load up the fake shit, its near improbable to tell the difference between this and actual playmore game.(NW anyone?) I mean they do the same shit endlessly. Sprite ripping is good if you at least have some new influence. Tenka is a good example of what I would consider acceptable.. With stinkers like CFE, anything can slip into the floor work and it would match up these days, which is really unfortunate..

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Hey, I didn't start this topic for a Playmore bashing. There's plenty of other topics out there for that. And all of the bootleg KoFs I've played have been vastly inferrior to ANY legit KoF. They are hidiously unballanced, glitchy, and have the super metors regenerate too fast. I will admit it's cool to see a huge roster of characters, but all in all the bootleg games I've played are pure crap.

I'm surprised no one else has heard of this game. Maybe they just haven't posted yet. If no one else has played it I could go back and learn more about it. Any other questions? I could probably take some pics, though there's not a huge reason since everything is just ripped from other games.

If I go back I'll keep an eye out for Krauser, as per request.

Capt. Takehiko

Crossed Swords Squire
A pic of the character select would be good.

When it come to kof boots I have 2: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 (2001 hack) and KoF 2004 (2002 hack) and frankly I don't think I should have payed a cent - which I didn't, they were both free.

EDIT: The Crouching Tiger Hiddden Dragon 2003 I have I think is a boot of a boot as it does not have an interface like the one that is shown at TMB and has no re-colours. It doesn't have Alpha backgrounds but instead mainly '96 ones.

Last edited:

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
just get the rom.
or no, don't get the rom, it's not worth the download.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
I know these bootleg games arent good for the scene and they deface the KoF name but I honestly wouldnt mind playing some of them just to see what they've done. This one sounds interesting.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
They have it in one of my local arcades. No one plays it.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Bootlegs are fun to play especially when its so bad its funny

KOSBRAVESHIYUU

Mr. Big's Thug
KOF should make a real anniversary game! how come KOF's always come out so late. It's almost 2006 and we haven't even got 2003 out on console here yet! somethings wrong with that!

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
Mad Mage said:
The shame is of course that the manager doesn't know enough about KoF to realize Playmore didn't make this game. He even wrote an angry but polite letter to playmore telling them to stop making such unbalanced crumby games. I was able to explain to him that Playmore had nothing to do with this game, but the fact that I needed to is a sad realization that crappy bootleg knock-offs are doing more than just hurting sales; they are defacing the KoF name!
Well... Maybe if SNKP games didn't look and feel like bootlegs in the first place, maybe that manager guy would have been able to tell the difference between legit and pirate games.

neo>all

Super nO0b
KOSBRAVESHIYUU said:
KOF should make a real anniversary game! how come KOF's always come out so late. It's almost 2006 and we haven't even got 2003 out on console here yet! somethings wrong with that!
get teh romz

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Shit I still want to buy (just to have it) that King of Gladiator GMVS cart, but I haven't seen it available on Ebay outside of France. Though with SNKP having stopped support of the MVS, anything is better than nothing IMO, especially if it's got oddity perks (like nekkid Mai and Blue Mary) or whatever. If anyone has any info on where to get a "King of Gladiator" (heck I like the title) let me know. Haven't played CTHD much less seen one either. At this point I'd take a really well (if there is such a thing) GMVS/boot Burning Fight 2 or Super Spy but I'm sure it be too hard and too much effort for something like that since VS. FIGHTING games are much easier to churn out.

GK

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Pretty easy to differentiate the gamers and the collectors in this thread! :smirk:

I've never found bootlegs to be fun, either. I'd rather fire my quarters into a legit game and have a good match with another player. I don't play arcades for solo stuff, unless I'm just checking out a new game (like MS5).

But the whole thing sounds like the old "Well, NES doesn't have games for it anymore, so ROMs are all right" or something like that.

Although I consider myself a gamer first and foremost, I like to collect, too. So I never play ROMs. I've got enough games otherwise, I suppose.

matt356

n00b
rere

This game actually doesnt have any new characters, it jsut has a lot of duplicates. Its just 2002. Most characters are exactly the same, terry's controls are switched a bit (DP motion for rising tackle=cheap) theres a "fair" playable rugal, who is just an incredibly slow POS with half his normal moves and a bad genocide cutter. Every round, kyo gets a special move, his qcf C,hcbP,fP becomes his SDM finisher from 2003 (only can be used once per round, then its jsut normal) You eventually face O.Leona as a character as well in single player (pretty sure)

As for the system, you can do SDMs (sometimes with 1 stock) and HSDMs without going into max or having low life.

Im sure there are some other alterations, but CHTD is the best bootleg. Where else is the sun the last boss?

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Well I finally own that King of Gladiator GMVS hack it's pretty cool. It's just KOF '97, and plays as much. All characters unlocked (inlcuding evil versions) and Shermie, Blue Mary, and Mai get nekkid when executing super moves. Nothing too fancy, but cool if you like owning oddities in your collection. Just complementing the post above me.

GK

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Grizzly King said:
Well I finally own that King of Gladiator GMVS hack it's pretty cool. It's just KOF '97, and plays as much. All characters unlocked (inlcuding evil versions) and Shermie, Blue Mary, and Mai get nekkid when executing super moves. Nothing too fancy, but cool if you like owning oddities in your collection. Just complementing the post above me.

GK

Well, I don't want to admit it, but are there screen shots of this, or any other bootlegs? I've only seen CTHD up close, and though I was exited for about 1 second, I never really took a look at it, anyway.

How much did you pay for it, anyway? Curioser and curioser. :spock:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
HeartlessNinny said:
Well, I don't want to admit it, but are there screen shots of this, or any other bootlegs? I've only seen CTHD up close, and though I was exited for about 1 second, I never really took a look at it, anyway.

How much did you pay for it, anyway? Curioser and curioser. :spock:

Paid $90 bucks for it and worth every penny TO ME Personally... just in case some of the Neo:Geo Gestapo "Holier Than Thou" Anti-Piracy types go on about theft and what not. It's for my personal collection and wouldn't be worth shit to much of anyone else. Now that that ridiculous disclaimer is out of the way for all of the fuck faces on these boards who make congressional issues out of nothing...

The screen shots of KOG
-------------------------------

kog019rx.jpg

kog021zj.jpg

http://sega-spetsnaz.com/Misc-Pics/KOG.jpg

The picture of the GMVS Cart itself.
--------------------------------------------

kogcart7jt.jpg

Like I said, it's a good game that plays more or less like the regular KOF '97 (in fact everywhere "Except" the title screen actually says King of Fighters '97) and a Mai Shiranui in particular plays at an excelerated speed. Like playing SF 2 Turbo on the fastest setting with only one character while everyone else moves at normal speed. This often times makes it hard to pull of certain moves. Another quirk is that when you pick your team mates, whatever order you originally pick them in is the order the computer automatically picks them in at the "In Order of Fighting" section. You can't change it manually. There are no win quotes etither. Instead after you beat someone it goes to a white screen what says something like: These are the Winners! and then you get the three different pictures of the group in a collage. Still haven't beaten it yet, but I'm just playing it for fun off and on right now.

Hope that elaboration on King of Gladiator helps you out a bit. Can't say anything on CTHD but I hear it's kind of cool.

GK

Last edited: