Interesting interview with SNK (more about Anime, MI2, and a new CFC for DS?)

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
I actually found this at S-C, but it was originally from Pen-Pen at Orochi-Nagi

I bought this week's Game Next magazine (a local HK magazine which talks about...games), it turns out that during the comic festival last month the magazine interviewed with the SNKP Contents Head/Director/Some Guy Sitting In That Post. I don't know how to translate his name to English however, so please bear with me for the time being.
As per usual, my translation is NOT 100%. I'm prone to errors and there may be mistranslations here and there.
----------------------
(translation begins)
To give support to the SNK booth and the two KOF tourneys at the Hong Kong Comics Festival, the SNK Playmore Contents Head (Mr. IDon'tKnowHowToTranslateHisName) decided to visit Hong Kong. Game Next managed to get an exclusive interview with him, and got to know what's new over at SNK Playmore and the best news about KOF!

GX: Game Next
CH: Mr. IDon'tKnowHowToTranslateHisName

GX: Are you satisfied with SNKP's performance over at Japan, Asia, Europe and Americas?
CH: To put it simply, the old company is history, but as for the current company, our first priority is to protect the SNK brand name. And for the new company, at the start it was quite rough since we could not make large-scaled investments, and could only develop very few new games. And until these two years, the company is finally on track, and we can put more investment on developing new games, to give back to our fans expectations.

AOF and FF is Part of KOF: MI!
GX: NeoGeo used to have lots of popular works, such as "World Heroes," "Aggressors of Dark Combat," and "Buriki One," will there be a remake soon, or will there be a totally new game?
CH: Actually "World Heroes" is an ADK product, but we still hold the rights. As for these games we will consider doing a revival style and move these games to the PS2's NeoGeo Online Collection series. As for new works for these titles, we do not have a real plan thus far.

GX: What about "Art of Fighting," "Fatal Fury" and "Samurai Shodown?" Will there be sequels to these popular series?
CH: Let's talk about SamSho first, by the 6th episode (ed: the one currently being worked on the AW) it will be finished officially. And on this issue of making a new game, I am currently thinking if we should be making a 3D version of SamSho, but it is not decided yet. As for AOF and FF, as I said before, we will have a 'revival' version for the PS2 under the NeoGeo Online Collection series. For new works we have nothing as of now, but on the storyline issue, it will be extended into other series, such as KOF: MI, where AOF and FF will be combined together in the game. As you can see, AOF, FF and KOF: MI all happen in Southtown. As for MOTW, it also happens in Southtown, so we should not see KOF: MI as a 3D KOF, this should be seen as a continuity for AOF, FF and MOTW's background. There is a reason for putting the above works into the game.

The New Game Will Be A Card Game!
GX: Other than the above works, are there anything being planned?
CH: I have a new idea for the Nintendo NDS, a card game actually. But what the card game is actually about, for now it's not a suitable time to tell you. (GX: Is it a KOF card game?)

GX: When will you be announcing this new game?
CH: Around the September TGS I believe!

GX: What about the game's theme? Do you have any hints?
CH: Nope! If I continue talking about it, you will probably know what it is about! (ed: maybe Card Fighters' Clash...?)

GX: As for the NeoGeo Online battles (PS2 & Xbox), how is the response? Are you satisfied with the result?
CH: As for the PS2 online side, at first there were many players who didn't know how to connect and had many technical issues. But until now, the PS2 has 3 online titles, and the players are already getting familiar with it, and the online players are increasing. I am of course satisfied, and we found out that if the player can only play by themselves, it will be a boring thing. To thank the fans' longtime support, we provided an online battling service, and it doesn't matter even if we lose money.

No more Shinkiro!
GX: Any new coming works?
CH: We first announced KOF: MI2 to be coming out in 2005, but now it'll be in 2006. Therefore, we will have a lot of promotions and advertisiments planned, for example the game will have two different movies, one in anime style (ed: perhaps the one by Production IG announced earlier? Falcoon's appearance in the event perhaps makes this case stronger) and one in CG style. For the anime we will put it online for promotion, and the CG movie will be inserted into the game's opening and ending. As for events, the KOF 10th anniversary event last year was very successful, so we should be making something similiar by this year. These events are being planned for now.
(ed: shameless ad, but check out my Hong Kong Comics Fair post about Billy appearing in the next KOF: MI)

GX: Before, KOF's characters were usually drawn by Shinkiro, but as he joined Capcom, will there be any possibilities of having a cross-company styled cooperation and ask him to draw KOF characters for SNKP?
CH: Very likely no, because KOF needs to go forward and not going backwards instead. So the chances of cooperation is slim.

Answer To Why Mai Is Not In KOF XI!
GX: How long is KOF XI in development? And who is responsible for character design?
CH: The development started around 1 and a half year ago. As for the character design is done by Hiroaki. I would also like to take the chance and say that currently Nona is in the development department, and he is mainly doing work for drawing sprintes. As for the well-known Falcoon, he is moved from the arcade department to the home consoles department, and is now the producer of KOF: MI2.

GX: Why is Mai not in KOF XI?
CH: The reason why Mai isn't in KOF XI is not because she's not popular, but every year we will need to make some changes, some needs to be reset (ed: I'm not sure what this means), say we will need these characters for this year, and other characters for the next. And since NGBC and KOF XI are both same types of games, Mai appearing in both will feel like she's being repeated. So this arrangement will give the game some new things to explore.

Infinite Possibilities for the New KOF!
GX: Going on for so many years, will there be any improvements in KOF?
CH: The 2D KOF has been going on for 10 years, and the characters' art will always change, but no matter how things change, 2D KOF will always be sprites, and this will never change. Even though the game's board is moved from the NeoGeo to the Atomiswave, since the Atomiswave is basically Dreamcast's board exchanged (ed: I'm not sure on this either, but I think you get the idea), so graphically there won't be any remarkable improvements, and the 2D KOF will not turn into a 3D KOF (GX: he means the official KOF games but not 'side' games like KOF: MI), and we will keep on pushing it. 2D fighters in comparision is more focused on the tactic. As for real improvements, we are still working on it.

GX: Aside from KOF having the 2D version and a 3D version such as KOF: MI, will there be any other types of games? Such as an SLG like "Namco X Capcom?"
CH: I really had that thought, if we put all the characters together, we can try many different types of games, even MMORPGs, or perhaps something like "SNK Gal Fighter" or make a new fighting game by combining fighter characters along with non-fighter characters together such as NGBC. Or perhaps a party game, so there are many possibilities and ideas.

GX: Any actual plans or ideas?
CH: Telling you these is already the fastest news already, I can't tell you more! (CH: lolololol)

GX: As for the future consoles, the Xbox 360, PS3, Revolution, what is your view?
CH: As for now we have the most information for the Xbox 360, and since Microsoft is one of the most successful companies, and TV and PC games are getting more similar, so I believe that it is more actual (ed: direct translation...Xbox 360 sounds more 'real' I guess). As for the PS3 and Revolution, we do not have much information so I cannot comment for now.

GX: (blahs about anything to say to GX readers)
CH: (blahs about thanking HK players for supporting arcades and fighting games, is very happy, but since the market is shrinking, they will think about other routes)[/b]

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
So basically we can expect the same stuff for years to come. Old games and ports for consoles along with their horrible attempts at 3D fighting. And on the arcade from more King of Fighters and Samurai Spirits. *Sigh* I don't want Maximum Impact I want Mark of the Wolves 2 or something.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
That guy said "SamSho", heh ? I'm pretty sure people originally referred to SS as Samsho because of emulation (the original ROM names for MAME and stuff being samsho, samsho2 etc)... So it's kind of ironic he'd use that...

Unless that's part of the translation, not something that guy directly wrote.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
A bit of a stretch to assume the new card game will be a new Cardfighters but if it's even half as good, that's worth being excited about.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
I have all the Card Fighters already, so if that game was only half as good, I'd see no point in getting it....

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Of course all this is speculation, but a guy can dream, can't he?

A new CFC would make me die on the spot, I'd love to have such a game on the DS.

And a new Gal's Fighters... if this is a reality, I hope they keep the silly style of the original, which was a bit like Capcom's Pocket Fighter (AKA Super Gem Fighter).

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
come on guys.

MotW2 at this point would be their ticket to bankruptcy (unless you want the usual copy paste job, which would piss off 99% of you) no one support 2D fighters anymore.

he said it himself. SNK's gone. their main focus now is to keep the franchise alive.

I think they have been doing a good job since KOF2003. they are defenetly showing improvements. I'll be more than happy if they countinued this trend.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
k'_127 said:
come on guys.

MotW2 at this point would be their ticket to bankruptcy (unless you want the usual copy paste job, which would piss off 99% of you) no one support 2D fighters anymore.

he said it himself. SNK's gone. their main focus now is to keep the franchise alive.

I think they have been doing a good job since KOF2003. they are defenetly showing improvements. I'll be more than happy if they countinued this trend.

Even if it isn't Garou 2, I would still rather have another actual Fatal Fury game. And to me anything besider Garou would be weird.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
I'd love a Real Bout 3. Like an RB2 with all the cool missing characters (Big Bear / Rayden, Jubei, Hwai Jai, Richard Meyer... even White while we're there) plus a few new ones, unless that's asking too much.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The only way SNKP is going to survive is to make the fans happy, and they're not doing that. They need to re-think their business tactics. Pretty much everybody that wanted to play the old games has, so re-releasing them isn't going to do SNKP much good. People who are now growing up in the 3D era could give two squirts of piss about the old 2D fighters. SNKP needs brand new games!

Frankfurt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hmkay said:
I'd love a Real Bout 3. Like an RB2 with all the cool missing characters (Big Bear / Rayden, Jubei, Hwai Jai, Richard Meyer... even White while we're there) plus a few new ones, unless that's asking too much.

Reality check!

A new Garou wouldn´t make them money - first one was a flop. A new RB wouldn´t make them money - popularity was average back then, now it wouldn´t even be a blimp on the radar. A new LB wouldn´t make them money - it wasn´t popular back then. A new AOF wouldn´t make them money - last one was a flop. Those are niché series on a EXTREMELLY niché genre. They´re dead. They´ll stay dead. Not even the best graphics can/could save them.

KOF makes them money. Metal Slug makes them money.

I don´t even know why they insist on SS when the last two didn´t make them a dime... I guess it´s because they just use Yuki on the cheap...

If SNKP wants to stay alive, they´ll slowly go for the 3D console crowd. Hopefully they´ll improve MI enough to make it a contender. Then they move from there. As the guy said, now they have the money. It´s the only way to stay alive in the market of X-Box 360s and PS3s.

Arcades are dying (i give them less than 10 years until they´re gone), as the other SNKP interview said. They have no reason to invest on it when the fans just whine and whine, yet don´t play enough to back up a major upgrade on their side.

Last edited:

neo>all

Super nO0b
Hmkay said:

Yeah playmore might not do the game justice. I think the best we could hope for is basically rb2 with alfred playable, a few new stages, some stages brought back from rbs, and maybe 1 to 2 new characters and even that might not happen.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Frankfurt said:
If SNKP wants to stay alive, they´ll slowly go for the 3D console crowd. Hopefully they´ll improve MI enough to make it a contender. Then they move from there. As the guy said, now they have the money. It´s the only way to stay alive in the market of X-Box 360s and PS3s.

If they do this they won't make it and you should know that. In general most Neo Geo fans don't want 3D games and certainly not bad ones. And the mainstrem isn't going to even bother when you have things like Soul Caliber, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive and to a lesser extent Bloody Roar. All the others don't make and SNK Playmore would be no different.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Frankfurt said:
Reality check!

A new Garou wouldn´t make them money - first one was a flop. A new RB wouldn´t make them money - popularity was average back then, now it wouldn´t even be a blimp on the radar. A new LB wouldn´t make them money - it wasn´t popular back then. A new AOF wouldn´t make them money - last one was a flop. Those are niché series on a EXTREMELLY niché genre. They´re dead. They´ll stay dead. Not even the best graphics can/could save them.

I don´t even know why they insist on SS when the last two didn´t make them a dime... I guess it´s because they just use Yuki on the cheap...

Arcades are dying (i give them less than 10 years until they´re gone), as the other SNKP interview said. They have no reason to invest on it when the fans just whine and whine, yet don´t play enough to back up a major upgrade on their side.

Yep, what they need is brand new franchises, not rehashes.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
I dont entirely agree with this, as the games mentioned were great games in general but were victims of the horrible arcade scene over here in north america. The arcades were dieing out after 96-97 and these games were released on and after that period. As it pretty much takes a crowd of people to make a game fun as there is alot of people around to push the fun level to new heights. If nobody is around then nobody is challenging one another. I think things would be differnent if there was a actual arcade scene to support these titles. Now if SNK put some marketing behind the titles on a viable platform like the ps2. Then they might have a chance as they are decent games. And at least a few people will pick them up. Not sure how they did in japan though, might have been a differnent story.

Frankfurt said:
Reality check!

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
Frankfurt said:
Following your logic, then they shouldn't have made new SS games. I don't think SS was that much more popular than the RB or LB games...
And Yuki are making their third SS now...

Frankfurt said:
neo>all said:
Yeah playmore might not do the game justice.
Then they should let Yuki make a new RB game... :p
The people at Yuki are big SS fans (especially SS2), I don't know if they like FF at all though...

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Actually, I really don't agree that if they make strides to work in the 3D department, that they'll die. Case in point. Capcom. They're surviving and doing well, and sadly it's because of their 3D department. They were simply smart to make the move, when they did, and they stayed in business. Activision, probably one of the oldest software companies around, went to 3D and they are still going like the energizer bunny.

Keeping fans happy is important, but I do feel that unless they keep their attempts to blend 3D production, with their 2D (keeping fans happy) products; they'll die off like the rest of them that didn't evolve. You know, like the original SNK; in which because of lackluster 3D attempts and not gaining much money from them, they tried to survive on their 2D efforts alone. It was not enough. But now that they have much better 3D programmers, on their team; they have a much better chance of making better-accepted 3D game efforts. What they need, is that hit 3D franchise that they can do well with. Probably not even a fighting game. Capcom made their big start with Resident Evil. Who knows. Maybe Playmore would make a hit Beast Busters game or something. :) :) :)

The first thing we need to realize is that the videogame market has left us, in profitability. We may seem like a bunch of people gathered on Neo-geo.com, but we are the minority in videogames, now. I'm just glad, from this announcement, there are people still left to support our 'now in the minority' tastes. Like it or not, Playmore is still one of the very few that do so, unless it is a game for a pocket system like the GBA or DS, and probably the top company for such support. No one company puts out as many games, per year, that cater to the 2D tastes, anymore. Lord knows, Capcom has given up the effort, for the most part; and Sammy, they simply just don't produce as much, or a long time between releases.

Last edited:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
interview quoted by Cain Highwind said:
For new works we have nothing as of now, but on the storyline issue, it will be extended into other series, such as KOF: MI, where AOF and FF will be combined together in the game. As you can see, AOF, FF and KOF: MI all happen in Southtown. As for MOTW, it also happens in Southtown, so we should not see KOF: MI as a 3D KOF, this should be seen as a continuity for AOF, FF and MOTW's background. There is a reason for putting the above works into the game.
Yeah, the common setting of Southtown is enough to tie the stories of AOF, FF, MOW, and KOF:MI together, as long as you're willing to overlook the relative ages of the AoF, FF, and MOW casts (AOF is circa 1979, FF is 1991-1998, MOW circa 2006). I wouldn't mind the claim that KOF:MI shares continuity with AOF, FF, and MOW, if only they'd redesign some of the characters (primarily the AOF cast) to be more age-appropriate to the time period in which the game is set (quite frankly, I've seen plenty of Yuri Sakazaki in her late teens -- I'd like to see SNK's reinterpretation of her at age 33-34 (the age she would have been in 1994-95), or even older).
We first announced KOF: MI2 to be coming out in 2005, but now it'll be in 2006. Therefore, we will have a lot of promotions and advertisiments planned, for example the game will have two different movies, one in anime style (ed: perhaps the one by Production IG announced earlier? Falcoon's appearance in the event perhaps makes this case stronger) and one in CG style. For the anime we will put it online for promotion, and the CG movie will be inserted into the game's opening and ending. As for events, the KOF 10th anniversary event last year was very successful, so we should be making something similiar by this year. These events are being planned for now.
(ed: shameless ad, but check out my Hong Kong Comics Fair post about Billy appearing in the next KOF: MI)
I know of at least one forum member whose name starts with "D" and rhymes with "Bomino-chan" who'll be going bonkers when she reads about 3D Billy.

On the last day of EVO, I was talking with Domino-chan and AKscrube, and the topic of the KOF anime announcement came up. It occurred to me that it was possible -- since the announcement didn't say anime movie, anime video, or anime TV series -- that the possibility existed that it might simply be an anime-style opening (a la KOF'98 for Dreamcast or KOF'94 Re-Bout for PS2) for one of the upcoming KOF console releases. I was thinking in terms of the Online KOF Orochi or KOF NESTS collections, but KOF:MI2 makes more sense since, as you pointed out, Falcoon appeared at the announcement event and is the producer for KOF:MI2.

Regarding an SNK card game, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how they execute the idea on the DS. I haven't bought one of these yet (since the software library to date hasn't really intrigued me), but I'm interested to see how they'll utilize both screens in-game (if it were a new Gekitotsu Card Fighters game, doubling the available screen area might enable the full-time display of more info (that you'd have to menu thru on the NGPC versions), or allow each player to have more than 3 character cards in play at once). What I'd really like to see, tho', is fully-animated character / card effects -- along the lines of the animated sequences used in the KOF pachislot game.

--Chris

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Another :buttrock: for a new card game if it is anything like CFC. A true CFC sequel would be the best, but even a similar game that excluded Capcom would be great by me... glad to see that they are working on a DS title as well.

If SNKP wants to break into the mainstream they have to do 3d games, and they have to start doing them well. KoF:MI is a good game, but it isn't going to get them into the mainstream. I don't know if any of us should really want them to go mainstream at this point though... If they do we can probably count on a lack of 2d titles in the future just like Capcom now days.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Orochi Iori Y said:
Another :buttrock: for a new card game if it is anything like CFC. A true CFC sequel would be the best, but even a similar game that excluded Capcom would be great by me... glad to see that they are working on a DS title as well.

If SNKP wants to break into the mainstream they have to do 3d games, and they have to start doing them well. KoF:MI is a good game, but it isn't going to get them into the mainstream. I don't know if any of us should really want them to go mainstream at this point though... If they do we can probably count on a lack of 2d titles in the future just like Capcom now days.

Am I the only one who's thinking FPS Metal Slug game?

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Orochi Iori Y said:
In the translated interview, statements like these:
The 2D KOF has been going on for 10 years, and the characters' art will always change, but no matter how things change, 2D KOF will always be sprites, and this will never change.
the company is finally on track, and we can put more investment on developing new games, to give back to our fans expectations.
To thank the fans' longtime support, we provided an online battling service, and it doesn't matter even if we lose money.
would seem to indicate that SNK is still committed to the 2D tastes of the company's longtime supporters, and will continue to develop at least a few games to cater to those fans. I agree with the idea that SNK must begin producing more mainstream games in order to give itself the strong financial foundation it needs in order to continue producing the not-quite-as-profitable 2D titles. The pachislot continues to be a strong one in Japan, and SNK is smart to be producing pachislot machines that take advantage of its intellectual properties. This, coupled with solid sales of 3D mainstream games both in Japan and abroad, are what the company needs in order to be able to continue producing the 2D games they say they're still committed to publishing.

Even if we only get a couple of 2D games per year from SNK, as long as they're at least equal in quality to NBC, SS Tenkaichi, or KOFXI (as opposed to stuff like CAPCOM Fighting Jam), I'll be completely satisfied.

--Chris

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i've been playing cfc lately.
a new one would make me pretty happy.