Steam Hearts PC Engine

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Anyone have this? I can't find any screens other than whats on pcecp.com. Opinions? reviews? screenshots?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
Anyone have this? I can't find any screens other than whats on pcecp.com. Opinions? reviews? screenshots?

Yah, I have a copy that I bought from Neo Bomber Man for something like $100 or so. It's very, um, interesting...

It's pretty straight-up, almost bare-bones in a lot of respects, but what's there plays very well. The only real wrinkle that I can think of off the top of my head (haven't played it in a while) is the speed boost your ship can use to get out of tight spots. If you don't learn to use it right, you will die early and often. Period.

Oh, and it's based much more on memorization than bullet hell.

So the gameplay is good, but nothing too special- play it for the cutscenes, of course. I can't think of any other shmup where the object is to have sex with the bosses after beating them. Some of the anime-style cutscenes are pretty r-rated. They aren't animated, though, so the full hentai effect is a little lessened. Still, it's a pretty unique hook, to say the least.

Worth buying more as a rare collector's item than a gaming masterpiece, I'd say. Still perfectly happy with my copy.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I have owned both the PCE and Sat versions of this game.

I prefer the Sat ver. personally. It seems to have beefed up graphics and a higher default difficulty and I believe arranged BGM.

Overall it's really not a great game for the money, enjoyable yes but if your looking for a great PCE shmup you might want to save your money for one of the Rayxanber games or something else a little more playable.(IMO)

If you buy the game you probabley wont feel like you wasted your money but you also probabley won't still be playing it in a month.