Good Import DC Shooters?

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Other than Ikaruga (have it), what are some other sweet-ass import DC shooters? Thanks for your help!

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
There is some great stuff!

Gunbird 2
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Mars Matrix
Zero Gunner 2
Shikigami no Shiro 2
etc.- I'm sure I'll think of more later...

I havent played Border Down But some say its the best shooter on the DC

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Zero Gunner 2 is your next buy. Get it now.

As for Border Down, either you'll like it or you won't. As I've said before, I recognize it for what it is, but I still don't like it all that much. VERY deep scoring mechanics and hard as nails. If that sounds like it's up your alley, it's definitely worth finding.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
subcons said:
Zero Gunner 2 is your next buy. Get it now.

As for Border Down, either you'll like it or you won't. As I've said before, I recognize it for what it is, but I still don't like it all that much. VERY deep scoring mechanics and hard as nails. If that sounds like it's up your alley, it's definitely worth finding.

Those would be the first two on my list of recommendations. I'm in the "love it" camp for Border Down. Got the LE for $85 new from NCSX and that was a steal. IMO, it's one of the best horis you'll ever play. Gorgeous graphics, tight gameplay, very deep scoring system as mentioned, and interesting border system. Well worth picking up.

ZG2 is one of Psikyo's most original games in a long time. Cool mechanics with the helicopter being able to aim and move completely separately, and again, very smooth graphics.

It's no masterpiece, but I'd say pick up Trizeal if you can find it for a decent price. It's very old-school, but pleasantly so. Fun to play even if it's not amazing.

And then the Psyvariars are must-plays. The buzz mechanic is a nice twist on the usual bullet hell.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Twinkle Star Sprites

I would like ZG2 a lot more if you could use the R and L triggers to pivot you heli.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
The shooters that Spike listed are all awesome. I really like:

Gigawing 1- I don't know why I like this so much, I think it's the graphics and the intense gameplay. There are always too many bullets on the screen and tons of crap going on.

Shikigami no shiro2- This game is just awesome. Beautiful graphics, soundtrack, there are a ton of characters so there is a ton of replay value.

Cannon Spike (Maybe Gunspike?) Psikyo shooter- So fun. Can't get enough of this one, tons of cool gameplay, lots of challenge, and it still retains the feel of a classic psikyo game.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bangahoi(sp?) not a traditional shmup but still pretty sweet
Gigawing 2 (the only 4 player shmup I know of)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just played Zero Gunner 2 for the first time yesterday, and I was blown away. And i'm only a casual shooter fan (more a beat'em up guy).

Definitely fun, the ability to shoot and rotate just makes the game seem so fresh gameplay wise to me. Definitely a lot of fun.

I'll have to play this more as i suck at the moment.

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
Hey ya'll I never played Radiant Silver gun but does it have a relation to Ikaruga?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Pocketgamer said:
Hey ya'll I never played Radiant Silver gun but does it have a relation to Ikaruga?

Well, it was code-named Project RS2 (or something like that) and there is chaining based on the color of the enemies, but that's about it.

To be frank, I like 'ruga more than RSG, but that's just my personal preference. Really amazing game, with the word EPIC written all over it.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Pocketgamer said:

WORD YO YES! It's Treasure ! So is Banghaoi (or however you spell it.)

Psyvariar 2 is for DC but I was never a big fan. I have the Xbox version but I just can't get into it.

subcons

Spike said:
I would like ZG2 a lot more if you could use the R and L triggers to pivot you heli.

Blasphemy. The scheme it uses gives you far more accuracy and manuverability once you understand how to use it and become accustomed to it. By using just the triggers, you'd probably only be able to pivot at one speed. By giving you the ability to move the cursor closer or further away, you can control the speed at which you spin your ship around. It just becomes second nature after a while, but you have to sit down and spend some time with it to truly appreciate it.

This game still stands as one of my all-time favorites.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Stinky-Dinkins said:
I second the Border Down suggestion - it's fucking awesome.

I'll give it a try...

But fuck i hate horizontal shooters.

Perhaps i'll become a changed man?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Stinky-Dinkins said:
That means you are most likely the anti Christ.

:crying:

My father most certainly regrets not pushing my mother down the stairs by kicking her in the stomach. He knew Old Scratch was the actual father the whole time.

But, i'll give Border Down a try after i've spent more time with Zero Gunner 2.

Kiel

20 Year Member
subcons said:
Blasphemy. The scheme it uses gives you far more accuracy and manuverability once you understand how to use it and become accustomed to it. By using just the triggers, you'd probably only be able to pivot at one speed. By giving you the ability to move the cursor closer or further away, you can control the speed at which you spin your ship around. It just becomes second nature after a while, but you have to sit down and spend some time with it to truly appreciate it.

This game still stands as one of my all-time favorites.

You know, after I typed that I thought about the speed issue.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Lagduf said:
I'll give it a try...

But fuck i hate horizontal shooters.

Perhaps i'll become a changed man?

I can't really argue with you. I can think of only two horis that I would call very good or better- Border Down and Sengoku Blade. Border Down is the better of the two, IMO.

BD is crazy deep, but if I had to pick one little thing as my favorite mechanic, it would be the boss fights. I know it's not the only game that's done something similar, but getting far more points for killing the boss at an exact target time (as in not as fast as possible) makes for very interesting boss fights and very deep strategy.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
jro said:
I can't really argue with you. I can think of only two horis that I would call very good or better- Border Down and Sengoku Blade. Border Down is the better of the two, IMO.

BD is crazy deep, but if I had to pick one little thing as my favorite mechanic, it would be the boss fights. I know it's not the only game that's done something similar, but getting far more points for killing the boss at an exact target time (as in not as fast as possible) makes for very interesting boss fights and very deep strategy.

I havent given BD much of a try as i've been trying to stop sucking at Zero Gunner 2 (getting better!). Admittedly i only played it for a few minutes and i'm not totally up to speed with the weapons or scoring system or any aspect of the game. At the moment i'm stuck on the fact that its a horizontal shooter :loco:

The only thing i dont like in Zero Gunner 2 is that every boss so far just transforms into some dumbass flying robot. Meh, not really a big gripe as the gameplay is where its at. I was playing some other shooters i got recently and I was finding that i was trying to rotate. lolz.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Lagduf said:
I havent given BD much of a try as i've been trying to stop sucking at Zero Gunner 2 (getting better!). Admittedly i only played it for a few minutes and i'm not totally up to speed with the weapons or scoring system or any aspect of the game. At the moment i'm stuck on the fact that its a horizontal shooter :loco:

The only thing i dont like in Zero Gunner 2 is that every boss so far just transforms into some dumbass flying robot. Meh, not really a big gripe as the gameplay is where its at. I was playing some other shooters i got recently and I was finding that i was trying to rotate. lolz.

That which you speak of about ZG2 is of course one of Psikyo's more endearing habits; that whole "boss transforms into robotic thing" trend. Gets a little silly sometimes, but at least it adds a little variety.

That whole rotating thing is pretty darn sweet. It really opens up the gameplay.

But don't give up on BD too early, no matter what! All the intricacies of the break laser, the variety in levels based on border alone, the challenge, whew, that game is good.

Have you checked out the strat for Border Down over at Shmups.com? I read through it a while back and my head was pretty much spinning at the end. Link just in case.

It's pretty insane, in a good way.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
The R-type series, and the Darius series are my favorite horis. Einhander ain't too bad neither! :buttrock:

subcons

jro said:

Hello! Gradius V!

And this might seem vain, but you know what turns me off most about Border Down? It's the presentation. The game is by no means ugly, it's just... bad. To a point, almost boring for me. The gameplay is insane, but I seriously can't get past how uncool it is.

Second to that, I just find the mechanics frustrating personaly. If you're up for the challenge though, I will say there is not much out there like BD. It's definitely unique.

Kiel

20 Year Member
subcons said:
Hello! Gradius V!

And this might seem vain, but you know what turns me off most about Border Down? It's the presentation. The game is by no means ugly, it's just... bad. To a point, almost boring for me. The gameplay is insane, but I seriously can't get past how uncool it is.

Second to that, I just find the mechanics frustrating personaly. If you're up for the challenge though, I will say there is not much out there like BD. It's definitely unique.

You cant mention Hori shooters without Porgear. :shame:

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I've heard very good things about Pro Gear what system, if any is it on? How much doeas it go for? Is it worth it?