difference between 50Hz and 100Hz TV's in gaming?

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Has anyone done a comparison between a 50Hz and 100Hz TV? I don't have a 50Hz TV here, so I can't compare, but has anyone done this or can someone tell what exactly the difference is?

Gaelsano

Armored Scrum Object
do you maybe mean 60 Hz the standard for America and Japan? I think some SCART TV's support both. I think it just sends a "picture update" less often but it's so fast most won't care. 60Hz makes more sense, it's the basis for A/C oscillation and certain math (60sec 60min 60 degrees etc). I don't know from where they pulled out 50Hz

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Dreamer said:
Has anyone done a comparison between a 50Hz and 100Hz TV? I don't have a 50Hz TV here, so I can't compare, but has anyone done this or can someone tell what exactly the difference is?

With 100Hz interlaced the image should render the same with less "flicker".

A 100Hz TV displays the same image twice (50Hz TV would only display it once like normal) to compensate for the lack of data being received (for a PS input)

imho the difference between 50/60 and 100 wouldnt be astounding.

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Gaelsano said:
I don't know from where they pulled out 50Hz

Most "other" countries use 50 Hz mains supply, its good to sync with the frame scan rate, though not essential, with the mains frequency.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Gaelsano said:
60Hz makes more sense, it's the basis for A/C oscillation

AC is 50hz in most (all?) of europe. It's also just about double the framerate of PAL. 60hz is about double the framerate of NTSC.

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
I've got a 100hz TV and a 50hz TV I cant really tell the difference, but if you stick a PAL Dreamcast into 60hz mode on a 50hz TV the TV makes a slight sound and the colours are flickery in places.

I bought 100hz so I wouldn't have a problem with import consoles, forgeting the most recent TV's cope anyway so all I got was a TV that now doesn't play gun games :(

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I think most people misunderstood my post here, I was not talking about 50/60HZ PAL/NTSC, since all TV's here can do both. But rather I meant the difference between 50Hz refresh rate and 100Hz, but yeah, there probably won't be such a big difference.

I remember I have a big TV in the attic somewhere (older model, so it's 50Hz) I'll try it out myself smetime.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
TrueTrials said:
so all I got was a TV that now doesn't play gun games :(

I read an article somewhere on how to get around that the other day, will see if I can find it.

Neorichieb1971

B. Jenet's Firstmate
100hz just draws twice as fast. I thought the image on 100hz TV's looked a bit washed out on TV channels. Never experienced gaming on one before.