which monitor 90 degrees to the LEFT

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I am desperately looking for an LCD monitor which lets me pivot 90 degress to the LEFT. All models I have found so far are 90 degrees to the RIGHT which is useless for most PS2 and Saturn games. This monitor http://zhulien.kicks-ass.net/pics/pivot/rotated.jpg is too heavy for me to turn every 5 minutes. If you know one, please post the model in this thread and a link to somewhere selling it if possible. Thanks.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I know some monitors it's just a matter of switching the pivot direction by taking the stand apart.

But I concur on the wall mount. That's what I use and I couldn't be happier. Just make sure the LCD you buy is VESA compliant. Most are, but some aren't (i.e., some of the Sony ones). It's usually listed in the specs.

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
subcons said:
I know some monitors it's just a matter of switching the pivot direction by taking the stand apart.

But I concur on the wall mount. That's what I use and I couldn't be happier. Just make sure the LCD you buy is VESA compliant. Most are, but some aren't (i.e., some of the Sony ones). It's usually listed in the specs.

why do I need VESA compliant for a a PS2 or Saturn?

also, why does that wall mount need a VESA compatible monitor? does the VESA standard cover the type of clips at the back of the monitor or something?

Last edited:

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
thanks for the wallmount idea, I'll keep that option open, but rather I'd have a swivel monitor (so I don't have to drill holes in my walls - I move equipment around a LOT)

subcons

All VESA really means, is that there are holes on the back of the display so you can mount it on something other than the stand it comes with. There are usually eight holes which give you two mounting sizes to work with.

As for the moving of equipment issue, you could always mount it away from your work station. Have a designated shmupping area or something. I don't know, your call. Just an idea.

Also, out of curiosity, do you have an upscanner of some sort? XRGB's seem like they're getting harder to come by from what I've observed.

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
subcons said:
Also, out of curiosity, do you have an upscanner of some sort? XRGB's seem like they're getting harder to come by from what I've observed.

yes, have a scandoubler I bought a while back from success-hk. it isn't great but is good enough, especially if I can get a monitor which rotates :)

subcons

zhulien said:
yes, have a scandoubler I bought a while back from success-hk. it isn't great but is good enough, especially if I can get a monitor which rotates :)

Ah, well, you're halfway there then. Just a matter of finding the right display.

Just to add to the conversation, maybe some of the people here who shmup on LCDs can add to this. Is anyone here playing their stuff on 17-inch+ LCDs? I'm just curious what kind of image degredation there is due to incompatible native resolutions, if any? With an XRGB-2+ you can force it into 1028x768, which is the native res of most 15-inchers. Is there a benefit to just sticking with 15-inch displays, or is it okay to just step up to a bigger LCD and not lose image quality. Granted, I realise image quality isn't that great with an LCD compared to a CRT, but every little bit helps. Input?

SSS

neo retired
I've got a 15" Samsung I use for Shmups. Has a built in TV tuner that allows for Svideo connections. Is vesa compliant so I can mount in on it's side. Built a bracket specifically for this purpose. Colors are vibrant, and there is minimal bluring if any at all. Was reasonably priced, there are larger models that should have the built in TV tuner. Speakers on those monitors usually blow so I'd recommend an additional audio set up of some kind.

subcons

SamuraiShodownSensei said:
I've got a 15" Samsung I use for Shmups. Has a built in TV tuner that allows for Svideo connections. Is vesa compliant so I can mount in on it's side. Built a bracket specifically for this purpose. Colors are vibrant, and there is minimal bluring if any at all. Was reasonably priced, there are larger models that should have the built in TV tuner. Speakers on those monitors usually blow so I'd recommend an additional audio set up of some kind.

Which Samsung do you have, one of the MP models (150MP, etc.)? Does the SVideo actually look good on that thing? I'd be amazed if it did.

SSS

neo retired
subcons said:
Which Samsung do you have, one of the MP models (150MP, etc.)? Does the SVideo actually look good on that thing? I'd be amazed if it did.

I'll have to get back to you on the model (at a different location). Yeah svideo actually does look good. There is a very noticeable difference over the composite connection. Running dogyuun through my supergun, it's close enough in quality that you might have thought it was MAME.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I have an Iiyama monitor (15 inch) that can turn 90 degrees. Nothing wrong with it, it looks as awesome as always.

tate.jpg

subcons

Dodonpachi. Are you running that through MAME, Supergun, Saturn/PS1? Also, is that photo taken at pause? Just curious, as there is absolutely no ghosting at all. Looks nice. What's the response time on that model?

I'm looking at an older Samsung model LCD TV right now, the LTN1735. 17", native resolution of 640x480 with PC input, so it's perfect for the XRGB. Only thing is it's got a 25ms response time. I don't think it'll make too much difference just playing 2D shooters on it though. I never noticed ghosting on my old LCD that I played shmups on and it had the same response time. But if you took a photo of it, the ghosting was definitely there.

Last edited: