Just got Radiant Silvergun...

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Ok, it's not the first time I play it because I got it cracked on my previous switched saturn but it makes something special to own the real thing! I was addicted to this game and still I am! This game is subject of much controversy, you either love it or hate it, but IMO I love it to fucking death, it's almost unbelievable. I think it's the best game ever made, so much goodness in a single game can't seriously be.

PS:damn I'm drunk.

barf

Maxima's Barber
I ve played RS only verry lately (a year ago or two); I enjoyed it, but not that much at all.

I guess there are shooters you get hooked to and others you do not, this one was of the laters. That s odd since Treasure made some of my favourites (Sylpheed, ikaruga, Gradius V)

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Loved it!, Played the hell out of it, Owned it for a long time and then sold it. Would buy again though for the right price.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
RS is pure class, the haters need to lay off the glue.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I love the controversy on this game personally. It's clearly apart from the shmup world, or above should I say. Some games like Radiant or Battle Garegga are subject to these cases. But remember:

"Only great games are under great controversies."

PS: Now I really need to buy a backup memory because mine's dead...

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
It's just because of it's fetching price. If it cost $50 it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I paid $100 for mine (mint with spine) a few years back and still own it. Won't be getting rid of it either.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I don't agree with that. The price isn't the main controversy IMO. Just look how the game needs to be played to see the oblivion. Sometimes you need to avoid killing enemies to keep chaining, and this "skill above fun" may be reluctant to some. It's quite understandable.

Sure the price is crazy, but the game is too special for some people first.

buster_broon

The Rock,
i thought the game was pretty dire

trhere are far superior shooters available - like battle garegga

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
buster_broon said:
i thought the game was pretty dire

trhere are far superior shooters available - like battle garegga

Battle Garegga is ugly and shit.

Those who like it are like those who cheer for the underdog for no better reason than hating perfection and true merit.

buster_broon

The Rock,
wasabi said:
Those who like it are like those who cheer for the underdog for no better reason than hating perfection and true merit.

hahahahahahahaha

absolute perfection you say

so a nice grainy screen is absolute perfection - tis true you are stuck in the 90's

that must have been the funniest thing you have ever posted - but again just the usual drivel

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Oh no, not the usual Battle Garegga flamewar, just look at shmups.com to see enough drama around this game for a whole year.

Where's Randorama when you need him. :kekeke:

PS: Radiant Silvergun >>> Battle Garegga.

subcons

Wow. Yeah, I won't even get into that statement about Garegga. Such a great shooter. Someone who says otherwise really hasn't put time into it.

Besides, Battle Garegga is a different type of game. I really wouldn't even compare it with Radiant Silvergun. And IMO, RS hasn't aged too well graphicaly. I still love the game, but I prefer the hand drawn sprites myself.

EDIT: Oh, and price of RS is the contreversy. The gameplay is what it is. The fetching price is all that is ever talked about. Either you like it or you don't. That's any game. But when you're talking about a $200 price tag for said game, people start talking about weather or not it's good enough.

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Good to hear man. I remember when I got my copy. It was a great day. I had never played the game, but knew if it sucked, I could sell it on ebay. Man was I in for a treat. It's a great game by Treasure, and as others have said, lay off the hate. There is no other shooter like it out there and never will be. Have fun.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
subcons said:
EDIT: Oh, and price of RS is the contreversy. The gameplay is what it is. The fetching price is all that is ever talked about. Either you like it or you don't. That's any game. But when you're talking about a $200 price tag for said game, people start talking about weather or not it's good enough.

'Course, I just wanted to say that IMO, the gameplay is the main controversy, even if the pricey game obviously is another one.

As for Battle Garegga, don't get me wrong, I pretty like the game, that's just that I can't understand that some give him the "godly game" status. I clearly don't see the thing that makes it an awesome game, as simple as that. :)

I find it amusing to see that some games are totally "love or hate it" games. RS is nevertheless less controversial than Ikaruga IMO. Any thoughts on this?

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
The reason I don't really like RSG is that it is over complicated for my tastes. I love pure shooting action, founded solely on reflexes or twitch gameplay as some call it. I am not interested in memorizing patterns or chains or trying to work out which one of seven weapons I should be using at any one time. Also, the RPG element of building up your ship's weapons through repeated games is lost on me, I prefer shooters to be as far removed from the RPG mould as possible, seeing as I really dislike the genre in general.

So for me, RSG is an interesting novelty but doesn't really rate as a great shooter.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
moonwhistle said:
The reason I don't really like RSG is that it is over complicated for my tastes. I love pure shooting action, founded solely on reflexes or twitch gameplay as some call it. I am not interested in memorizing patterns or chains or trying to work out which one of seven weapons I should be using at any one time. Also, the RPG element of building up your ship's weapons through repeated games is lost on me, I prefer shooters to be as far removed from the RPG mould as possible, seeing as I really dislike the genre in general.

So for me, RSG is an interesting novelty but doesn't really rate as a great shooter.

You don't like the before-90's shooters then. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I love fast and furious shooters, as I'm addicted to Dodonpachi and Mars Matrix first but the RPG thing of RS is not really important, just play on saturn or arcade mode.

subcons

Tristesse said:
As for Battle Garegga, don't get me wrong, I pretty like the game, that's just that I can't understand that some give him the "godly game" status. I clearly don't see the thing that makes it an awesome game, as simple as that. :)

It's the ranking system. Go ahead and credit feed the game to unlock the superplay. Watch that and then tell me what you think.

As for the weapon levels in RS, it is somewhat of a downfall. You have to level up your weapons to even kill a lot of the later bosses. It's an essential part of the gameplay. I can understand the dislike for the game, but I've never really played it anything except casually. I could never sit down and memorize all that stuff either. But going at it with a friend who has never seen the game is a blast... just to watch the scenery so to speak.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
subcons said:
It's the ranking system. Go ahead and credit feed the game to unlock the superplay. Watch that and then tell me what you think.

I'll do that in a few days, I'm a bit curious.

As for the weapon levels in RS, it is somewhat of a downfall. You have to level up your weapons to even kill a lot of the later bosses. It's an essential part of the gameplay. I can understand the dislike for the game, but I've never really played it anything except casually. I could never sit down and memorize all that stuff either. But going at it with a friend who has never seen the game is a blast... just to watch the scenery so to speak.

Sure you need to play properly in order to increase you power, and it's somehow disapointing to me sometimes, surely because I don't even know how to chain the enemies (I don't know what color with what) or increase the firepower actually. I decided not to watch a single superplay or faq and try to discover the whole stuff by myself. But first I am memorizing some or the bosses' patterns and I just want to go through the game for the moment. I have much time later to try to chain etc. I can't even get past level 3 entirely for now so I'll stick to that. :)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
wasabi said:

no, you're ugly and shit :envy:

seriously though, I love Garegga...forced myself to (somewhat) at first, but it grew on me.

RSG, now that took a long time for me to like.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I also give a big meh to RSG and to a slightly lesser extent Garegga as well. Batrider is Raizings crowning jewel IMO.

FLADIPO

Banned
rs

I think the game is fun but not enough fun for the price - a true collector's piece!

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Spike said:
I also give a big meh to RSG and to a slightly lesser extent Garegga as well. Soukyugurentai is Raizings crowning jewel IMO.

Fixed. Soukyugurentai is admitedly the second best shmup on Saturn after RS obviously. Sad there's no home port of Batrider though...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I would have gladly sacrificed the Saturn port of Kingdom Grandprix for a Saturn port of Batrider.

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
wasabi said:

Uncle Charlie speaks the truth.