Nanostray Mini Review

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I just copied and pasted this for the 'what you currently play' thread so more might see it.

I'll give a little mini review:

The thing that you will notice first is that the game looks jaw dropping, it has fantastic graphics and a really graet sound track as well. Its a Euro shmup so it does not have that Japan shooter feeling, there is a life bar and no powering up. There are four weapons to choose from on the fly switching via the touch screen and two modes for each one( weapon, sub weapon) there is a power meter for your sub weapon which is kinda like a powered up version of your main shot, the power meter can be refilled by destroying formations of the smaller enemies which release blue coins that refill it. Enemies also release gold coins that help your score which you can suck into you by pressing the R button. There is also a radar on the bottom screen but thats pretty much usless until you get into a boss fight and the radar turns into a scan button which when pushed shows you the bosses weakpoint and HP. You can even enter in your highscores at the Nanostray website

So it looks good, sounds good, and has just enough manic-ness to it to satisfy post Batsugun shooter fans but there is some things about it I dont like...

For one the straight shot weapon is just about the only useful out of the four and you will be using it about 99% of the time. The game is "viewpoint-ish", the farther up the screen you go the smaller your ship gets and that can make it difficult to dodge some times, and because of the view point style of perspective the game uses vanishing points (i.e. say you were standing in the middle of a straight road and you looked off in the distance it would look like the two sides of the road meet at a point some distance away) because of these vanishing point perspective it you ship was up against the side of the screen your shot will not go all the way to the side of the screen, it will go diagonally to twards the center of the screen, which sucks because the enemies that come from the sides of the screen can shoot at you before you can shoot them. Lame. The game seems thrown together in no paticular order. There is no story line and you just pick which stage to go to. ANd the thing that gets me most is the score system, I thought the scoring system in Ketsui was going to give me bad OCD trying to master it but this one beats all score systems hands down for being the most strict and retarded. Basically you get penalized for shooting, using your sub weapon, using the R button to suck in coins, bombing, getting killed, so on and so forth. I dont want to get into it too much or this would turn into a full review instead of a mini review but I'll give one example. If you hold down the shot button you fire rapidly, if you do this you are penalized, you should only shoot when needed (fire once to kill an enemy that requires one shot to kill, dont fire into empty space make sure you shots hit a target) but because of this you get docked points because some larger enemies take so many hit to destroy so its almost not worth it to destroy the really big ones.:rolleyes:

Its easier to pick out the not so good parts though.

Overall I would recomend the game as it is really pretty good if you ignore the score system (which I have) and I would give it a 7/10 .It might even be worth picking up to sell in the future as it seems there are not that many copies out there...

Kiel

I liked it too but it is like a total of like 10 hours of game play i beat single player in 2 hours on normal.

Allien133

Astra Superstar
spiderspider said:
I liked it too but it is like a total of like 10 hours of game play i beat single player in 2 hours on normal.
Well, now that this thread is revived, I will add that the game was as neo dragon put it: FUCKING HARD. I mean come on, I get owned the whole way through and then have to fight a nasty bose as well. Still like it though, just pisses me off. Maybe im just bad at it....

And at spiderspider, 10 hrs of gameplay but only took you 2 hrs? :spock: