Sound issues w/ 4slot and New Astro City

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So now that my bios issue is resolved, heres one of my other problems:

There seems to be a mono/stereo sound problem going on with my cabinet. I can hear music fine, the speakers sound great, but I can only hear one channel of sound through both speakers, which causes music to sound really funny, and most sound effects to to sound really low or muted.

I've been doing some research and it seems to be a stereo/mono conflict between the 4-slot board and the New Astro City, lbut I'm totally clueless on how to resolve this and never attempted any cabinet rewiring.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before?

(my final problem is wiring my 4th button - right now only A B and C work, but we'll save that for tomorrow)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
robot said:
So now that my bios issue is resolved, heres one of my other problems:

There seems to be a mono/stereo sound problem going on with my cabinet. I can hear music fine, the speakers sound great, but I can only hear one channel of sound through both speakers, which causes music to sound really funny, and most sound effects to to sound really low or muted.

I've been doing some research and it seems to be a stereo/mono conflict between the 4-slot board and the New Astro City, lbut I'm totally clueless on how to resolve this and never attempted any cabinet rewiring.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before?

(my final problem is wiring my 4th button - right now only A B and C work, but we'll save that for tomorrow)

Yep, sounds like your setup is wired for mono but your board is stereo....

What does your controll Panel look like?
how many buttons are there?
Where are you located?

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'll take pics later - I'm completely new to this so I'm sure this is gonna be 10x more difficult for me to fix.

It's a 6 button setup, but only 3 are wired to the neo geo, and the others are wired to a kick-harness - which I dont need. I just need to get one of those buttons to my D button.

Any chance you live close to Staten Island? I can pay ya to help me fix this mess.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
wire the speakers like this

mvssound.bmp

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for the chart - hopefully it'll make more sense when I get home and open the cab up.

Is there anything similiar to that for wiring buttons?

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Your buttons should be fine, but take a look at the harness and you should see the sound stuff fairly easily.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Just an update -

I succesfully wired my D buttons! Took about an hour of looking at all the wires and figuring out how it works. Big accomplishment for me.

The sound problem is still there - I cant make any sense of whats going on in there, there are wires plugged into L and 10 - when I trace them back they go back to a plug looking thing that plugs into a metal box (power supply?) Like i said, I have no experience with arcades, so I probably sound pretty stupid.

Is there a mono setting in the bios? I think that would solve my problem, other than figuring out all of this wiring.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Scratch that idea.

Last edited:

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Heres another theory:

I figured out all of the wiring and it looks to be wired this way:

right speaker + to pin 10, left speaker – to pin L, and a wire between right speaker – and left speaker +.

Would this be the reason why both speakers are playing the right channel?
How can I properly wire this? keep in mind I dont want to play anything else but an MVS, so no switch is neccesary.

Heres a pic if that helps:

http://img332.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc012156em.jpg

Based on this pdf - where would I wire the Right - and Left + to?
http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

The saga continues...

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Wire like trhis (clearly shown in t6he diagram)

Right + pin 10
Right - ground
Left + pin L
Left - ground

seems your missing the ground

mvssound.bmp

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Success!

Once I traced all of the wires that chart made total sense (and helped me figure out the problem). Thanks for your help.