Sengoku Cannon - how is it?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The lack of attention this one is getting really surprises me. I'm pretty tempted to pick it up from Play-Asia, but I haven't really heard the praises I thought it would be getting. BIG? Others? Worth the $65 or so it will cost after EMS shipping? How's it stack up to Sengoku Blade?

kubrick

Stakes Winner
It compares quite well with Blaede. The cannon shot gives the gameplay a nice hook and the presentation is good (especially the amazing character artwork), but there's a couple of problems; The sprites are pretty small, so the bullets are quite hard to pick out against the scenery, plus the controls are a bit too twitchy, which makes it quite difficult to avoid them with precision. With it being a bit of a "bullet hell" type shooter (particularly on the bosses), that's quite a major thing. Thankfully though, the hitbox on your character is very generous.
You can use the analogue thing or the d-pad for movement, but neither method really feels "right" to me.
I still like it, but it definitely could've been better.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
kubrick said:
It compares quite well with Blaede. The cannon shot gives the gameplay a nice hook and the presentation is good (especially the amazing character artwork), but there's a couple of problems; The sprites are pretty small, so the bullets are quite hard to pick out against the scenery, plus the controls are a bit too twitchy, which makes it quite difficult to avoid them with precision. With it being a bit of a "bullet hell" type shooter (particularly on the bosses), that's quite a major thing. Thankfully though, the hitbox on your character is very generous.
You can use the analogue thing or the d-pad for movement, but neither method really feels "right" to me.
I still like it, but it definitely could've been better.

Cool, man, thanks for the detailed impressions. I'm leaning pretty strongly against this one at this point...

BIG

sony fanboy
kubrick said:
It compares quite well with Blaede.

Blasphemy!

Cannon's got nothing on Ace,or Blade.....

Cannon could probably pass as an okay game for the casual shmupper of sorts,but for a hardcore Psikyo fan such as myself,it isn't anything but a complete and total letdown,thanks to the lazy and incompotent programmers at X-Nauts (pronounced cross-Nauts,by the way).

B-

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
BIG said:
Blasphemy!

Cannon's got nothing on Ace,or Blade.....

Cannon could probably pass as an okay game for the casual shmupper of sorts,but for a hardcore Psikyo fan such as myself,it isn't anything but a complete and total letdown,thanks to the lazy and incompotent programmers at X-Nauts (pronounced cross-Nauts,by the way).

B-

That was my major concern- when X-Nauts is the name on the package instead of Psikyo, that's not a good sign. I'll stick with Ace and Blade and not sully my fond opinions of those two.

kubrick

Stakes Winner
BIG said:
Blasphemy!
:D

I was thinking in terms of the style/content with that comment. It's definitely one of the series in that respect, but as you know, the execution lets it down from comparing quality-wise with the others.

If it was a console game, it would definitely be poor, but I'm inclined to cut it some slack since it's on a handheld. Especially since some of the control issues are down to the hardware's poor offerings. ;)

"Buy at your own risk" probably sums it up nicely. :tickled:

barf

Maxima's Barber
I played it this morning and man do the controls take time to get used to... but... i have to confess i had fun.

Usualy in a Cave or Psikyo shooter my fun comes from avoiding shots, in this one it came from exploding everything around...

I cannot count my deaths or continues but i had carnage fun.

Man i wish esp ra de would make it to the PSP with PROPER DPad tuning

(i found the handling in star soldier much better than sengoku cannon).

Graphics wise it s so-so... there are some nice tidbits of background movement and verry nice portraits but modeling is rough and sprites could have used a bit more frames of animation

edit: finished it this morning... lazy ending, horribly difficult boss considering the controls grr

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
The game is terrible, I couldn't handle it it was so bad.