Getting good at shooters

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
When you guys are trying to get better at shooters what do you do. Lately I've been playing on one credit and if I die I start over. Do people think it would be better to always play all the way through the game attempting to reduce the number of credits you use each time?

ord1000

Crazed MVS Addict
Personally I NEVER use more than one credit. When you credit feed it just becomes lazy and well...pointless really. Case in point - I always seemed to hit a brick wall at the end of level 4 in Ketsui, it was just bullet Hell, but with patience and practice I can get to level 5 now in one credit. The sense of achievement is huge!
In Japanese arcades, everyone I saw just played one credit. If they died they would start over again.
To me it's the only way to get better.

Greatkiller

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Im tired of beating all the games I buy in 1 credit so I usually die on "purpose" on the first boss everytime. Makes it very frustrating :) and not boring LOL

BIG

sony fanboy
If you want to truly master a shmup,credit feeding it is definitely the way to go.

That way,you can study the bullet/boss patterns and better improve your scoring/survival tactics.

B-

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I never spend more than 1 credit in every shmup I own, even if I just bought it. I prefer learning the game level by level. I give me goals, usually beating the first 2 levels in 1 credit, then the first 3 and so one. That's how I learn.

But, the best way to improve in general on shmups is simply to play different games, manic, old-horis etc, as many styles as you can. That's what I did and now I'm quite used to every situation.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
First explore all levels, go for survival first, then
for max scoring. Some shmups take while to put
together: patterns, bosses, suicide bullets etc...
With lots of training a lot can be done.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I'm also in the one credit only crowd. Lately I've been playing ESP Ra.De. and am just awful at it, but through practice I can make lvl.4 now (yeah I know not that impressive) same is true of Blazing Star, I can 1 life it to lvl.6, but that boss is a monster, I can hardly touch him.

I'm pretty new to Shmups, but I'm lovin it!

I've been playing ESP Rade everyday and can now get the boss on level 4 down to 1/4 energy on 1 credit. (I'm so close!!!!)

I think 1 credit is the only way to go. I've not seen Lv 5 yet, but when I do I'll know that I've earned it.