Need some suggestions on great import PS2 shooters

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Well, I just got my import PS2 this month and my minty new copy of DoDonpachi-Dia-Ou-Jou. I love this game and it's amazing. I've also checked out the other Cave games (ESP Galuda and Mushihimesama), but needed some suggestions on really amazing shooters for the import PS2. I've seen Raiden 3 coming out (very nice), but need some advice from people who have gotten a chance to play these games. If this topic has been posted before (which I'm guessing it has), I apologize, but an update isn't that bad. Thanks for the help.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Cave games are the best of the best, IMO, but there are plenty of others to keep you busy.

The Psikyo Shooting Collections are pretty good. Volume 1 is Strikers 1945 1 and 2- the second one in particular is easy to find on other hardware in cheaper ports, so that one might not be too exciting, but it's still a pair of good games if you don't have either one on anything else. Volume 2 is the must-have, IMO- Sengoku Ace and Sengoku Blade are on it. Ace is an okay-ish vert, and Blade is an EXCELLENT hori. The character designs are pretty cool and the level design is very, very well-done. Volume 3 is Sol Divide and Dragon Blaze. SD is weird. Digitized graphics are a little odd, and the mechanics are pretty unique, too. Not great. Dragon Blaze, though, makes it worth owning. DB follows most of Psikyo's usual standards, but adds a few cool wrinkles.

The Psyvariars are cool. Psyvariar 2 Ultimate Final is a port of the Dreamcast original with training-type challenge levels. Psyvariar Revision and Psyvariar Medium Unit are also good, and cheaper, too.

Shienryu is really solid and it's very cheap- Simple Vol. 37 ("The Shooting Double Shienryu," or something like that) is $25 new from Play-Asia. Bought it at Takumaji's repeated recommendation, and it's really good.

Cho-Aniki must be played, even though it's not the greatest shmup in the world. I don't play my copy too much, but I would never sell it, mainly because it's actually a solid enough game and I love to break it out for my friends who don't think there's such a thing as a game where almost all the characters are hal-naked gay men who shoot cod-piece weapons at each other...

There are others, too, that I can't think of, but that's a good portion of the import shooters on my shelf.