Votes: 23 59.0%
  • R Type Final

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
R-Type Final for me.

I just enjoy the game more, and to me it has a better "feel". The explosions seem meatier, whereas the explosions in Gradius V seem synthetic and understated. I also like the weapons systems and the variety of ships you can unlock in R-Type Final. I like both games, but to me R-Type Final is the clear winner, although I realize that I'm in the minority.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
R-Type Final for me.

I just enjoy the game more, and to me it has a better "feel". The explosions seem meatier, whereas the explosions in Gradius V seem synthetic and understated. I also like the weapons systems and the variety of ships you can unlock in R-Type Final. I like both games, but to me R-Type Final is the clear winner, although I realize that I'm in the minority.

I totally agree

although I like Gradius V as well

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Gradius V is just more fun in my books. R-Type Final seems a bit slower paced while Gradius V is a very fast paced and fun shooter. Plus it's two player to boot. You can't beat that.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Gradius V and so many more horis are better than Final.

By the time I reach the third stage in Final, I'm just fucking sick of the slowdown. Awful way to end the series, at least the 101 ships was a somewhat-OK addition.

Gradius V is also (yeah, I'm crazy, I know) my favorite shmup ever, so yeah...

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
R-Type Final left a lot to be desired, and isn't nearly as good as R-Type Delta.
The level design, the music, nothing in it screams to be played. It's a shell of the
other games in the series.

Gradius V is a pure hit of undiluted joy, a reminder of golden-age Konami when they could seldom do wrong, you'll get the same buzz whether you're just a shooter noob or a graying veteran of the 16-bit glory days for this sort of thing. The level designs are great, the control and difficulty are just right, music's wicked, everything just screams "THIS IS WHY YOU LOVE THIS HOBBY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!"

kubrick

Stakes Winner
Loopz said:
R-Type Final left a lot to be desired, and isn't nearly as good as R-Type Delta.
The level design, the music, nothing in it screams to be played. It's a shell of the
That's the truth right there. Gradius V is the better game by a mile.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Loopz said:

Gradius V is a pure hit of undiluted joy, a reminder of golden-age Konami when they could seldom do wrong, you'll get the same buzz whether you're just a shooter noob or a graying veteran of the 16-bit glory days for this sort of thing. The level designs are great, the control and difficulty are just right, music's wicked, everything just screams "THIS IS WHY YOU LOVE THIS HOBBY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!"

I also felt Delta was a lot more fun. The slowdown is another big issue for me. Delta handled it pretty well, but Final is ridden with slowdown.

Treasure > Irem

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Gradius V all the way for me. When this game dropped and I finally got to play it, I was floored. I played it non-stop. There's hardly a flaw in the game.

R-Type Final on the other hand, while an excellent game, just has too many flaws. It's a nice encyclopedia of R-Type history, but really lacks in the gameplay department. I still pop it in once in a while.

BIG

sony fanboy
Gradius V,although Final gets a nod for its darker,more nightmarish atmosphere.

B-

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
I've been wicked into Gradius V lately.

For those of you who are good at it, what ship do you find easiest/most useful? I've given the most time to Type 2 but if there are any specific strategies that work well for the other ones I'd like to know about em.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Stinky-Dinkins said:
I've been wicked into Gradius V lately.

For those of you who are good at it, what ship do you find easiest/most useful? I've given the most time to Type 2 but if there are any specific strategies that work well for the other ones I'd like to know about em.

I myself go for type 4 (the rotational). I like type 2 because of the new mechanic, but sometimes feel it's a little to clunky when fighting in bullet ridden areas. For me, type 4 seems to be a very solid and varied type. I have a nice wide range my lasers go in, and it acts as a sort of force field as the options will stop bullets. Both are nice, but type 4 does it for me.

H

hermegildo

I've heard strong arguments on both Type 2 and Type 4, but I'm a Type 2 person myself.

Type 2 gives you flexibility when compared to all other options. Being able to aim in all directions makes most parts in the game a lot easier but the pay-off is that you lose mobility, so your main concern with Type 2 should be getting used to aiming your lasers at the right time and as quickly as possible. A small, basic trick (which you may have figured out on your own already, just as I did), is to keep moving slightly back and forth in boss battles to align your laser beams. Type 4 has a similar thing which is done by tapping the R1 repeatedly. The fact that Type 2 and 4 both have continuous lasers puts them on top of the other two Types too.

There's not much I can tell you otherwise. It's really a precision game no matter what Type you pick, but I'd say Type 4 leans more towards the defensive side whereas Type 2 is more of a power setting. Type 1 would be the technical one and Type 3 is practically useless.

subcons

Type 2 definitely seems the most flexible and more useful in the later stages. Reason I don't play with Type 2? I suck with it. And I simply cannot see myself putting in the effort to get good with it.

I use Type 1 most of the time. I'm surprised when I see people saying they use Type 4 with success. Seems so limited to me. That's the beauty of GV though. There's a setup for everyone. Wait until you open up that edit option. ;)

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I'm a type 3 man myself.

Love the ability to condense my options behind me into one nasty boss-killing beam.
Being able to spread them way out also helps against out of reach enemies.

I need to play this some more, preferably trying out some of the other types.
Type 3 is just the one I had the most success with.

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
Loopz said:
I'm a type 3 man myself.

Love the ability to condense my options behind me into one nasty boss-killing beam.
Being able to spread them way out also helps against out of reach enemies.

I need to play this some more, preferably trying out some of the other types.
Type 3 is just the one I had the most success with.

Indeed, I started out using Type 3... but now that I'm using Type 2 it just seems so much more flexible. Type 2 is harder to control but once it's mastered it's fucking great.

subcons

Stinky-Dinkins said:
Indeed, I started out using Type 3... but now that I'm using Type 2 it just seems so much more flexible. Type 2 is harder to control but once it's mastered it's fucking great.

Type 3 was what I used when I first got the game. It's like the novice setup. Once it's fully powered you can fill the whole screen. Condensing them is also useful like Loopz mentioned, but you can do that with Type 1 and have more flexibility along with it.

Type 2 is hands down the best setup. But that's just it, it has to be mastered to be useful. I just die a whole lot trying to use it effectively. I don't like the immobility of my ship when I'm changing my options.

EDIT: Meant to post this before, but there are some great threads over on the shmups forum about GV from when it came out. Here's one: GD: Gradius V (long read, but a wealth of information and insight...)

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
SWM, Libro, brown hair, blue eyes, Type 1, tall; searching for risky Type 3 female.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
R-TYPE FINAL gets my vote even though I've long been a Gradius fan. To me RTF had the better backdrop/mood and was just overall more fun to me. Beyond better graphics I found that I had reached a point with the Gradius series where I was like... "Nope I'd rather just play GIII or even Salamander". Though G5 is definately in my top 20 PS2 "Must Have" lineup coming in at #11. I missed out on RT Delta so I can't speak on that note.

GK

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Grizzly King said:
R-TYPE FINAL gets my vote even though I've long been a Gradius fan. To me RTF had the better backdrop/mood and was just overall more fun to me. Beyond better graphics I found that I had reached a point with the Gradius series where I was like... "Nope I'd rather just play GIII or even Salamander". Though G5 is definately in my top 20 PS2 "Must Have" lineup coming in at #11. I missed out on RT Delta so I can't speak on that note.

GK

I would check out Delta. Although it doesn't have the wide array of fighters, it's more fun in my books. The pace is a little faster and slowdown is much less prevelant. See if you can pick up on on ebay. I think they are going for a decent price these days.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
I would check out Delta. Although it doesn't have the wide array of fighters, it's more fun in my books. The pace is a little faster and slowdown is much less prevelant. See if you can pick up on on ebay. I think they are going for a decent price these days.

I'll have to look for RTD then. Was it on the PSX or the PS2? I kind of fell out of the loop with the R-Type games after III on the Super Fami up until playing RT Final.

GK

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Delta is on PSX.

Jedah I'm happily surprised that you don't start a flamewar with the ones who are more in favor of RTF than GV. Seems like everybody's growing up after all. ;)

I'm much more for RTF, I like the dark mood and slow gameplay better.

N2x

Chin's Bartender
I'll put in another vote for R-Type Final. While Gradius is a great game in its own right, it falls into the trap of most scrolling shooters: it's easy to pick up, and just as easy to put down. R-Type, with its hundreds of ships and weapons, along with the ever evolving stages (a reason I enjoyed Border Down so much despite its lack of depth), is never the same game twice.