Neo Geo Aes System with jamma mod?

Tyemy

n00b
Hi there guys!

I have recently purchased a neo-geo aes home system that was modded to work on jamma arcade boards. basically there are crazy wires connected to the controller boards and circuitry that is coming out of the unit! It also has a red button opposite the reset button.

I have been told these moded home units were made so the less expensive aes carts could be used in arcade machines. I know today this statement is quite the opposite.

can anybody direct me to any documentation that would shed light on what has been done to this system. My goal is to restore it back to its original state as a working home system.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Tyemy said:
Hi there guys!

I have recently purchased a neo-geo aes home system that was modded to work on jamma arcade boards. basically there are crazy wires connected to the controller boards and circuitry that is coming out of the unit! It also has a red button opposite the reset button.

I have been told these moded home units were made so the less expensive aes carts could be used in arcade machines. I know today this statement is quite the opposite.

can anybody direct me to any documentation that would shed light on what has been done to this system. My goal is to restore it back to its original state as a working home system.

I think there may be some people who would like to know how that mod actually works so it may be an idea to take some photoes before you start pulling it apart.

I certinally would be intrested in knowing if it has a working testmode button for example and also how they hooked up the 1up and 2up coin inputs.

Raz

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Ha!! So you are the one that got that ebay aes hacked thing! There was a thread about it here...

I tried to bid on it too, to learn how the mod works and also to restore it since I only have MVS. Lucky. It's gonna be a fun project!

cheers,
-DT

willywalken

Quiz Detective
hey, i was the one that started that thread. wasn't too happy about chewing up an aes system but at least it's floating around in the neo community.

Tyemy

n00b
hey guys I haven't been able to figure out how to post images yet so thats why theres been a delay on posting images of the mod.

my serial code is 012929 will this geo accept the power supply from a nes or genesis? I have read countless posts discussing this but I am unsure if this is a good sloution as I do not want to blow the sytem

I am looking for neo geo controllers to test the system with. If anybody has a pair they would like to sell please let me know. I am also in the market for my first aes game

I'm not sure if anybody is interested in neogeo 4 slot mvs boards I have an opportunity to pick up 3 incomplete boards that are not working but that would be great for parts boards. I would hope to recieve and equivalent trade for them
so that I could get my neo working. This opportunity is only avaliable to me this week so please let me know if anybody is interested in them.

Iroshi*Nagasaki

Kabuki Klasher
well I've had about 3 Aes systems and If there is something that I learned,is that every version of the AES Neo has a different PSU.I tried once using a PSU from one of my Neo on my friend neo and the screen will go blue.I used his original PSU and worked like a charm.So based on my experience I would say NO.

kazuki4wp.jpg

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
modified neogeo console

Tyemy said:

Thanks for the pics. Very cool to see.

Clearly the main board is jamma, you can see the connectors on the board for player one & two controls, audio/video, and coin inputs, etc. The other board is clearly an audio amplifier board. the same dual audio amp board used for nintendo and bally arcade games of the circa late 80's-90's era.

Also a socketed eprom has been installed where the bios is...a clear indication of the a debug mod which most likely converts the home console into an mvs console as it's purpose.

Yes, at one point in the past, there were a few time windows in the neo's lifespan when some carts were big hits in the mvs market for operators, but were as a result high cost. (some as new releases / some as big earners). So as a result, getting the cartridge in home format was cheaper and/or easier then the mvs format. So this home console "jammatizing" was usefull and beneficial to a few operators here and there hence why they were made.

Can it be "converted back", sure, of course. You may end up with a few unremovable holes here and there where they may have drilled or cut through the decks plastic shell, but after you unsolder everything and replace the bios, etc. you could end up with a "normal" home console. HOWEVER, why would you want to do that? ...

Reason being, what you have there is sord of a novelty which someone around here is sure to be interested in "just for kicks" and/or "just to add to their collection of neogeo odds & ends. So I would bet that if you tossed it up here for sale, or on ebay if you prefer, you would get enough cash to pay for a normal console and then some.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Billy Pitt

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
dogtoy said:
Ha!! So you are the one that got that ebay aes hacked thing! There was a thread about it here...

I tried to bid on it too, to learn how the mod works and also to restore it since I only have MVS. Lucky. It's gonna be a fun project!

cheers,
-DT

No, he didn't get that AES that could also play jamma boards as a supergun, but an AES that can be used in a cab, as in the past AES games were cheaper than MVS games when they were just released.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Amano Jacu said:
No, he didn't get that AES that could also play jamma boards as a supergun, but an AES that can be used in a cab, as in the past AES games were cheaper than MVS games when they were just released.

wtf are you talking about? There was a thread here a couple weeks ago about this same aes, which was on ebay. The pictures he posted are just like the one on ebay. Nobody ever mentioned using an aes as a supergun, although it could be possible to build. The point of this conversion is AES to JAMMA cabinet, not JAMMA game to TV.

-DT

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Yeah there was an AES/supergun bastardised unit. I remember :kekeke:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
dogtoy said:
wtf are you talking about? There was a thread here a couple weeks ago about this same aes, which was on ebay. The pictures he posted are just like the one on ebay. Nobody ever mentioned using an aes as a supergun, although it could be possible to build. The point of this conversion is AES to JAMMA cabinet, not JAMMA game to TV.

-DT

D'oh, sorry, there was a thread some time ago that was about an AES/supergun on ebay like I described, and I thought you were referring to that one, as I had never noticed the the thread you mention now :emb:

Tyemy

n00b
Thanks very much for all of your help and input into this mattter as of right now I have decided to change the direction of this project. I will leave the unit as is (thanks to Billy Pitt) and try to build a converter for it to play on the television. I know these are avaliable if anybody knows where I can find plans to build one that would be greatly appreciated.