HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Are these relativly easy to find?
Import only?
Thanks.

mannerbot

New Challenger
Gradius Galaxies should be pretty easy to find. Steel Empire is import-only, though.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Can you play JP GBA games on a US system without any problems, or do I need to buy a JP system to play imports?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ely13 said:
Can you play JP GBA games on a US system without any problems, or do I need to buy a JP system to play imports?

they are universal.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Awesome, thanks.

Tempted to get that Steel Empire / Koutetsu Teikoku... starting to get really sick of Minish Cap, and I want a game I can pop on for 15 minutes and have fun with.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Whats a shump?

I kid! I kid!

I like Iridion 2, even though many label it somewhat bland.

Phalanx also gets some play on mine.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Was R-Type on GBA any good? Got trashed in most reviews I saw, but shooters tend to score low (unless they're from Treasure).

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Ely13 said:
Was R-Type on GBA any good? Got trashed in most reviews I saw, but shooters tend to score low (unless they're from Treasure).

R-Type DX on GB Color was good, but R-Type 3 on GBA is AWFUL. Avoid.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I personaly felt Iridion II was garbage. It looks pretty though.

It's slim pickings for good shooters on GBA. Steel Empire and Gradius are the only ones worth owning and playing over and over again from what I've played/gathered.

Of course, if you're a fan of shooters, you'll likely enjoy the upcoming Gunstar Heroes. So there is something to look forward to.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My personal faves, from best to worst:

1. Gradius Galaxies -- One of the best-looking GBA games with that classic Gradius flavor. Remember to play on higher difficulty, that's where the fun begins :) 9/10

2. Iridion 2 -- Real close with Gradius Galaxies as my favorite. Simply amazing graphics and music, this game pushes the GBA to the LIMIT. Real cheap, too. 9/10

3. Steel Empire -- Artistically, it's beautiful and more vibrant than the Genesis original, but it's losing something that the Genesis had...still, it's fun and very nice. I wouldn't pay more than $30-$35 for a complete one, you might be getting ripped off. 8/10

4. Phalanx -- Port of the SNES original with a new intro and whatnot. I actually like it quite a bit, even if it is simple. Graphics are nice and it's basically dumb fun, a time-waster. 7.5/10

5. Darius R -- WHAT THE FUCK HAS HAPPENED TO MY DARIUS SERIES...3/10

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Won Koutetsu Teikoku for $30 CIB. I'll let you guys know what I think about it.

Trying to find a copy of Gradius Galaxies and Iridion II right now (and FF Dawn of Souls, but that's a different horse to fry).

Last edited:

subcons

Steel Empire has been fiddled with when comparing it to the original. At first, I honestly wasn't too crazy about it. The more I played it though, the more I liked it.

I'll agree that graphicaly, the game looks awesome on the GBA. Nice large, detailed colorful sprites. Great backgrounds/foregrounds, if not a bit repetetive in a single stage. Also, the music is tops. That was one big disappointment in Gradius. But yeah, gameplay can be quite unforgiving. Keeping your weapon level up is critical to doing well. I still play it on one credit whenever I have a go at it... sometimes just my first ship.

If you liked the original, you'll probably enjoy the GBA version. Just probably not as much. Good price on the win though. Worth owning for that at least.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Well... I went to Babbages looking for Gradius Galaxies and that Iridion game you guys were talking about. I saw Iridion 3D for $2.99 so I decided 'what the hey' and picked it up. Unfortunately, I quickly discovered you guys were talking about Iridion 2, not Iridion 3D :emb:

So, now I have this $3 piece of plastic that isn't even heavy enough to use as a paperweight. I need to figure out an entertaining way to dispose of it.

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
Ely13 said:
So, now I have this $3 piece of plastic that isn't even heavy enough to use as a paperweight. I need to figure out an entertaining way to dispose of it.

teh sledgehammer is always a favorite... It recently dealt d34th to a modem that got fried. Melting is always fun, too.

However you destroy it, make sure to take pictures!

northernsoul

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
You should check out Astroboy, this game is as good as Gunstar Heroes (made by the same people). It really is a all round great game, very overlooked.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Check your local K-Mart for Gradius Galaxies. I recall seeing it at mine a while back ago for only $15 dollars.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
northernsoul said:
You should check out Astroboy, this game is as good as Gunstar Heroes (made by the same people). It really is a all round great game, very overlooked.

I concur, fucking great game. I'd sell my Iridion 2 cheap if anyone wants it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
northernsoul said:

Even though it's one of my favorite games ever, it only has a few shmup-like levels.

subcons

Shmup minded people probably will enjoy Astro Boy. I know I did. Only thing is, there isn't too much replay value. You can play for score, but I've never really felt the urge to for whatever reason. It is tough however, and that first play through (and I mean all the way through, find all characters) is well worth the price of admission.

While I'm posting, I made it to Stage 5 in Steel Empire today at work (single credit). Awesome background. I love the giant air ship far off in the back firing off shots and hitting and destroying the air ship right behind you. Almost broke the 300K mark.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Can't wait for Gunstar Super Heros, and definately loved Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

I did want to inquire if anyone else was intrigued at the prospect of Namco's upcoming hybrid, Sigma Star Saga...I figure it's worth a look if only for the attempt.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Iridion 2 is a classic & my favorite shooter game that I own for the GBA. :D :)

Btw: The Nintendo DS play's import GBA games. :D :cool:

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
subcons said:
Shmup minded people probably will enjoy Astro Boy. I know I did. Only thing is, there isn't too much replay value. You can play for score, but I've never really felt the urge to for whatever reason. It is tough however, and that first play through (and I mean all the way through, find all characters) is well worth the price of admission.

Well, its impossible to beat it only one time through. You have to beat it then they tell you that you have to go back in time and it opens up the game all overagain to unlock the characters and get new story archs.

Is that the reason to replay your fav shmups in the first place, is score, with 1cc'ing it a close second?

*edit SOrry!!! i just understood your 'all the way through" statement. Reading is a skill, im a dumbass! :p