KOF Maxmium Impact Maniax has one of the best online features in any fighting game.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Finally played some KOF Maximum Impact Maniax online today. Say what you want to about the game play, HATERS, but I was having a blast. I also found the smoothest online experience in a fighter since MK Deception (which sucks, but has amazingly smooth online play); only had a bit of lag for a few seconds in a couple of matches, otherwise it was as if the people I was playing against were in the same room as me.

Anyway, I noticed several features the game has online that all the other fighting games should as options. These are all options you can change while online; no going back to the options screen needed:

-Toggle power gauge between normal and infinite.
-Toggle the boss, Duke, on or off as a playable character.
-Change the stages before each match (random or select your favorite)
-Pick your character and keep him/her selected for every fight. On top of this, your opponent will not know who you have chosen until the fight starts!

And the real reason I made this thread:

***CREATE AND HOST YOUR OWN TOURNAMENTS***

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

FINALLY. Competition mode allows you to create and join tournaments. You get to name your tournament, set the conditions, let players register, set deadlines for the start and end of the tournament, set deadlines for when matches need to be played, and there's even a message system to send PMs to everyone involved!

This is an awesome feature, and I wish games like Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and The King of Fighters 2002 made use of it. All fighting games that have online play should have this feature; it's a shame KOF Maximum Impact isn't that popular as this will go to waste in this game. I hope that KOF 2003 also gets this feature, as do any future Xbox SNK Playmore games. :D

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I did not like this when I played it on my ps2 when it first came out(I rented it) for whatever reason- I don't remember now, but I really dig it on the Xbox too. I have been playing this over everything else i have. :buttrock:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Ralfakick said:
I did not like this when I played it on my ps2 when it first came out(I rented it) for whatever reason- I don't remember now, but I really dig it on the Xbox too. I have been playing this over everything else i have. :buttrock:

I enjoyed the PS2 version, but it got old after a month or so. Maybe you didn't like the PS2 version since it had the shitty English dubbing. ;)

The online play has really gotten me back into Maximum Impact; now I just need to work on getting better with Mai. So far I find that I am able to beat people with tons of rolling and CD attacks; doesn't really matter who the hell you pick. ^_^;

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Sorry to derail the thread for a bit, but does the Xbox version NOT have the horrible english dubbing? I haven't been paying attention to this release...

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
The Xbox version gives you the choice of either English or Japanese dubbing, so you don't have to hear the awful English voices. :)

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Agreed, I rented Conker Live and Reloaded and bought KOF:MI for Xbox, and I'm more impressed with KOF. I've been playing it quite a bit and am having a blast. I'm with you on the competition modes, they add a whole new level to the game that no other fighting game has done. We need to get s broup together from the NG scene to play in some tournaments.

Sorwah

Crossed Swords Squire
Lyte Edge said:
Anyway, I noticed several features the game has online that all the other fighting games should as options. These are all options you can change while online; no going back to the options screen needed:

-Toggle power gauge between normal and infinite.
-Toggle the boss, Duke, on or off as a playable character.
-Change the stages before each match (random or select your favorite)
-Pick your character and keep him/her selected for every fight. On top of this, your opponent will not know who you have chosen until the fight starts!

And the real reason I made this thread:

***CREATE AND HOST YOUR OWN TOURNAMENTS***

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

FINALLY. Competition mode allows you to create and join tournaments. You get to name your tournament, set the conditions, let players register, set deadlines for the start and end of the tournament, set deadlines for when matches need to be played, and there's even a message system to send PMs to everyone involved!

DOAU allows you to toggle lifebar options as well.
Guilty Gear X2: #Reload had the EX toggle. (not really boss, but good to hear)
I don't understand what's new about the stage thing.
The character select thing does sound cool.

DOAU had a tourney mode, though it's nice to see SNK expand on the idea.

I just want another "Virtual Arcade" mode like DOAU has.

Here's hoping for 2002/03 to have just as good if not better xbl modes.

Though 2002's controls are stiffer than the PS2's....

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I guess it's easier to not have lag in an on-line 3D game than in a 2D classic fighter.

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
alright, say thanx, i'm gonna go pick up my copy in a hot minute. People say this game was shitty but now that i hear everybody is cool wit it and say online is great, i'm picking it up. holla.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
aegreatone said:
alright, say thanx, i'm gonna go pick up my copy in a hot minute. People say this game was shitty but now that i hear everybody is cool wit it and say online is great, i'm picking it up. holla.
holla

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
I don't understand why every fighting game doesn't use the DOAU-style virtual arcade. Usually when playing online fighting games I end up playing against the same guy over and over for a while or having to go through the trouble of finding a new matchup after every few matches. :( Plus, it's nice to be able to watch others play.

-Rob

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
It's just an inventive Team Ninja mode, they decided to use. Looks like they put a lot of work in, to make it work. Others may catch on, but it'll take a bit of time.

lordkaosu

n00b
I still need to take this game online, just picked it up but only played a few offline matches so far.

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
Lyte Edge said:
The Xbox version gives you the choice of either English or Japanese dubbing, so you don't have to hear the awful English voices. :)

My god does it help. I just got it today and immediately looked for this feature.

manly_pirate

Kuroko's Training Dummy
What a dirty trick! I went and bought the ps2 version when it came out, and now I have to go get the x box one so I don't have to listen to the horrible english dub.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
The online features on the game sound pretty cool. If only they could get rid of being able to do Kyo's super on a downed opponent (my brother and friends HATE me for that) and also fireballs being able to hit a downed opponent...and combo, to boot!

I just worry that, as time goes on, the online scene on the game will be filled with nothing but Duke scrubs just like SVC: Chaos has its Shin Gouki and Serious Mr. Karate scrubs.

Jon

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Jon said:
The online features on the game sound pretty cool. If only they could get rid of being able to do Kyo's super on a downed opponent (my brother and friends HATE me for that) and also fireballs being able to hit a downed opponent...and combo, to boot!

I just worry that, as time goes on, the online scene on the game will be filled with nothing but Duke scrubs just like SVC: Chaos has its Shin Gouki and Serious Mr. Karate scrubs.

Jon

That's why you just don't allow him to be selectable.

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
I was going to pick up Maniax, but since Circuit City has the PS2 version (no Japanese voices option and online play, I know) for $9.99, I just couldn't justify the extra cost. I don't use Live, and I can live with the annoying English voices until the XBox version comes down in price.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Kirk Foiden said:
It's just an inventive Team Ninja mode, they decided to use. Looks like they put a lot of work in, to make it work. Others may catch on, but it'll take a bit of time.

No, it's different than the tournament mode in DOAU. DOAU lets you have a "tournament" for up to eight people in a room right then and there, correct?

MI Maniax lets you organize the start and end of the tournament, when the matches are played, interval of time between each match, send PMs, and you can have up to 128 players signed up for a single tournament. I don't believe this has ever been done before.

Sorwah

Crossed Swords Squire
Lyte Edge said:
No, it's different than the tournament mode in DOAU. DOAU lets you have a "tournament" for up to eight people in a room right then and there, correct?

MI Maniax lets you organize the start and end of the tournament, when the matches are played, interval of time between each match, send PMs, and you can have up to 128 players signed up for a single tournament. I don't believe this has ever been done before.

True, but can you have all 128 players in the room at one time. What they were refering to was the fact that you can have 6 other people watching your match, talking strats, or having a conversation. The "Virtual Arcade" was a great addition to the online community. Now when I play a match against someone in let's say third strike, I don't get the experience when the person rarely talks and I have to go find another match each time. Rather than have the experience like being at an arcade machine where people crowd around.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Lyte Edge said:

Sorry if my post was confusing. I really did mean that DOAU's online mode is unique and that it was an inventive mode/feature that Team Ninja designed from scratch. They spent a lot of time getting it working like it does now. I was saying that there needs to be time before other developers figure out Team Ninja's secret, or devise their own method of providing a similar experience.

DJ Neo XL

Rugal's Thug
OK a little history first. I've always been more of a Capcom fighter fan (just easier to find where I live,) so I'm still a noob to KOF (plan on doing some hard core NeoGeo collecting soon, saving right now for my AES.) I'm sooo happy that I bought my XBox, last month I bought SVC Chaos, bought KOF:MI today and I'm going to buy KOF 94 Rebout, Sam Sho 5 and KOF 02/03 later this month.

I'm loving Maximum Impact so far, I love how it plays more like a 2D fighter than a 3D one (not saying that I don't like 3D fighters becaue I love them also.) After reading all the reviews of the PS2 version I thought the graphix would suck but I was quite suprised... I can tell they put a lot of effort into the game.

lordkaosu

n00b
You might have to go to several stores to find it. I searched about 4 or 5 different stores until I finally found an EB that had a few copies in.